Anyone with mod ideas for Sony MDR-EX700SL/LP?
Mar 16, 2010 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
I definitely do like the MDR-EX700SL, (because it is louder than my EX90SL's as I tested, by 2 dB) as well as my arsenal of EX90SL's, and i was wondering if there are any mods available to increase both the bass and also the isolation, as my performance tests proved, it is a bit weak on bass on some genres, mainly 80s electro/dance (like some of Paul Hardcastle's early electro work) and also hardrock/metal/thrash, but does well on R&B/rap/gangsta/hip-hop and smooth jazz, provided it has mainly deep bass tones in it, and I would like to increase it

Even my MDR-NC300D Noise Canceling IEM's (the NC version of the EX700) seem to provide more bass and isolation than the EX700SL/LP, stats similar to my cling-wrap-modded EX90SL's, and would love to get that same performance out of my $300.00 USD investment in which I intended to upgrade to (EX700), while keeping its loud 108 dB rating and loudness after the modding.

If anyone has an idea as far as any kind of mod to do just the above, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ray Jackson
Head-Fi user ID: BIGHMW

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 2
Stretch the foams inside but be careful not to tear them into pieces. Just use a needle or piece of wire with a bent tip, catch the foam and pull so that it fills as much of the transducer's pipe's height as possible. When the foam is compressed the sound is worse. Also, the smallest SS tips sound best to me, no matter even the M size fits snugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back