Anyone with Meier experience? No sound right side...
Jun 24, 2008 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nick20

Banned
Hey guys, I am getting no sound from the right side of my Meier amp. Yes, I have tried using all sorts of new connectors, RCA cables, etc. with no change. I have now narrowed it down to something internally.

Does anyone have experience repairing Meier amps, or repairing normal SS amps in general?

I am in dire need of help. Please, someone out there help with this amp.

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you contact the manufacturer?

What amp is it?

Meier Headfive. I know the Doc is overseas, and I was wondering if anyone in the states could help.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open it up, take a few photos. First look for wiring problems, then turn on the amp and check if anything is getting hot.

The amp is warm, I wouldn't say it's hot.

My sister has a digital camera, which I usually borrow, but she lost, don't ask me how, the cable to upload the photos from the camera to computer.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp is warm, I wouldn't say it's hot.

My sister has a digital camera, which I usually borrow, but she lost, don't ask me how, the cable to upload the photos from the camera to computer.

What were the symptoms? Did it stop all of a sudden? Has it always had the problem with heating? I assume this model is AC powered. Let's start there. How has it changed since it operated properly (assuming that it did).

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What were the symptoms? Did it stop all of a sudden? Has it always had the problem with heating? I assume this model is AC powered. Let's start there. How has it changed since it operated properly (assuming that it did).

I was burning the amp in with pink noise, then all of a sudden the right side goes dead. I was burning it between 10-25% volume. A low level, loud enough for pink noise.

Now, I am not getting anything. It was just instantaneous; the right side just stopped working.

The amp is warm to touch, but not hot. You're correct, it is an AC model.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was burning the amp in with pink noise, then all of a sudden the right side goes dead. I was burning it between 10-25% volume. A low level, loud enough for pink noise.

Now, I am not getting anything. It was just instantaneous; the right side just stopped working.

The amp is warm to touch, but not hot. You're correct, it is an AC model.

Okay, and I assume you've eliminated any possibility it could be the headphone or a loose connection with the source or the interconnects, or a short in your cables? Expecially true in the case of the headphone connection to the 1/4 out.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 12
I am hoping someone in the states can take it in, and give it a look. I know nothing about how amps are built, and I wouldn't even want to take it apart, because I wouldn't know how to fix what I'm looking at anyways. I know it's not the right attitude, but I repair paint on cars, so I do get my hands dirty.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, and I assume you've eliminated any possibility it could be the headphone or a loose connection with the source or the interconnects, or a short in your cables? Expecially true in the case of the headphone connection to the 1/4 out.

Correct. I tried different RCA cables, 1/4 adapters, and even sent the headphones back to ALO. Ken said they were fine on his equipment. So I tested a pair of cheap JVC headphones, and the right side doesn't work on that pair either.

I have swapped out all cables and adapters, trying to find the weakest link.

Thanks for your help,

-Nick

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might try emailing Jan to see if he has a suggestion for someone to repair it in the USA.

I've already done that. Thanks for the suggestion though.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back