Anyone with experience with bluetooth adapter for IEMs?
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

raptor18

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a wireless Bluetooth cable for my mmcx headphones (Tin audio t2).
There are a lot of alternatives on AliExpress ranging from 10-35 usd with very good specs.
Then we have shure bt1 which costs about 100 usd and mee btx1 which costs about 50 usd.
I'm confused.

Any tips?

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 14
I do have just a small set of advice words.........lol. Received a Magaosi BT MMCX cable with my $199 Magaosi K5 IEM. The box actually includes both Bluetooth and standard 3.5mm MMCX cables.

Tried the cable for an afternoon though when I returned home I held onto the cable wire and not to the plug and separated one side with my very first day of use. So be careful when changing cables.

It wasn’t my main priority to use Bluetooth with the Magaosi K5 IEMs.....so no big deal. Though I would like to have tried the cable with other MMCX IEMs I own.

Though I do have a positive outlook on aftermarket Bluetooth MMCX and look forward to the arrival of LDAC support.....as that’s when I will buy another. I do use fixed Bluetooth IEMs at the gym six days a week.
https://penonaudio.com/magaosi-k5.html

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 14
As I understand it, a Bluetooth v5 device compatible with aptx is not better or of any benefits over a Bluetooth v4 device compatible with aptx.
Is this true? If it does aptx, then I don't have to care about any other specs.

Jun 21, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 14
Look into the BTX2. There are some codes usually. Probably MEE will have one for July 4th. I like the cinema ear EQ and they will have warranty which is much easier than something from China. BT 5.0, EQ, Mee build is usually solid, warranty, aptX and LL. Should be a solid choice with regards to most things.

I might buy the MEE BT adapter and the FiiO MMCX short cable and use that. About the same price combined at ~ $55-ish. Can just hang the adapter like a necklace and have easy to press buttons. i don't like the small buttons on many pods nor them hanging down bobbing about when I am running around. the Fiio cable is thin and light and better than many BT adapter cables are. I, myself love pendant style more than having two pods on the sides flopping around when doing active stuff or want to use a hood or scarf etc.

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 14
Elecom has one with LDAC support. Can't remember its model name.

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 14
I had the exact same problem. I'd already owned a 15$ KZ brand bluetooth adapter and was less than impressed because it had unbearable background hiss, and a poor connection. I didn't want to risk repeating this on my T2s or pay more for a bluetooth cable than I did for the actual IEMs so I eventually decided to just change my use case, and bought a set of TWS buds, figuring that the technology is still in its infancy and didn't want to spend alot on what basically amounts to a first gen product. My best description of the QCY buds I bought is "not disappointed I'm wearing these instead of my IEMs". So I still prefer my T2s by a margin, but I wholeheartedly recommend them at the price if you think they might solve your problem.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QCY...sets-3D-Stereo-Sound-Earbuds/32947791238.html
Message me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 14
If you are not limited to the cable type only, an BT adapter with short cable generally has better SQ.

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 14
I know the amazon reviews are a bit mixed, but I've had decent luck with the MEE BTX1 attached to a pair of FiiO FH1. The cable and electronics that MEE put together sounds pretty good for something around ~$40-50 USD. Though I'm starting to get the urge to swap the FH1 out for something that suits my tastes more (not a fan of hybrids or spiky treble presence). I just need to find a "budget" mmcx IEM that's efficient enough to not max out the volume on the cable. Battery life being what it is, power hungry headphones will only mean more cycles recharging and a shorter life span.

They also make a similar BT cable for 0.78 2-pin IEMs that I think is a Massdrop exclusive, and I guess they have the BTX2 now with BT 5.0 support for sale everywhere else.

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 14
Those BT adapters do look good but I need something that wraps around my neck.
I did buy the mee btx2 (still haven't received) but I cannot figure which chipset they contain. There will not be an upgrade of sound quality compared to btx1 since btx2 still uses aptx only (no aptx HD). Bluetooth 5.0 will not make it better as it still only uses the standard aptx protocol.
I suspect it uses Csr8670 but I'm not sure.

Only shure has a Bluetooth adapter with aptx HD which will upgrade the sound quality. Shure bt2.

Jun 22, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 14
As I understand it, a Bluetooth v5 device compatible with aptx is not better or of any benefits over a Bluetooth v4 device compatible with aptx.
Is this true? If it does aptx, then I don't have to care about any other specs.
There is no additional benefit for Bluetooth 5 over Bluetooth 4.2 for Audio. All Audio actually uses 'Bluetooth Classic' mode which was not changed. Instead, look at the ‘supported protocols’.

For an iPhone stack, AAC is a very good (even, only) choice. For Android, aptX (or aptX HD for a minor "future-proof" of your wallet). For me, bigger issues are connection reliability and battery life. The DAC/AMP design also plays a large role in the quality (and/or coloration of) the resulting audio. Some people rave over the ES100 while I find it ‘lacking musical excitement’ paired to the K10U: too neutral? It depends on many factors, of course. I tried a 'Roger' (that some recommend over the ES100's sound signature), and mine wouldn't stay connected for 5 minutes.. *sigh*

See "Audio over Bluetooth: most detailed information about profiles, codecs, and devices" ( https://habr.com/en/post/456182/ ) for how much of BT is marketing bogus.

One of the several conclusions from the article:
People who do not hear the difference between codecs while testing via a web service claim they hear it when listening to music with Bluetooth headphones. Unfortunately, that is not a joke or a placebo effect: the difference is really audible, but it is not [usually] caused by difference in codecs.

I'll also say LDAC and DSD and "balanced output" for headphone runs is also ‘heavily marketing focused’ with unclear benefits.. and I digress. See above quote.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 14

Only shure has a Bluetooth adapter with aptx HD which will upgrade the sound quality. Shure bt2.

Not really. The one I mentioned from Elecom that has LDAC support also has aptx-HD as well.

Very long model name, which is why I never remember it - here

Radsone ES100 is the one to get, I've been loving mine for over a year.
Ldac 2.5mm balanced output 2 dacs and an amazing app and eq.

All well and true, but I was recommending a cable type BT adapter since that's what the OP is looking for.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 14
Sorry to resurrect the thread...as of today, are there any other available good options?
I am using the KZ HD bluetooth cable but they have background hiss...even if cheap.

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 14
Sorry to resurrect the thread...as of today, are there any other available good options?
I am using the KZ HD bluetooth cable but they have background hiss...even if cheap.

Check out the portable headphone amp sub-forum. Most of the BT DAC/amp discussion is over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back