Anyone with experience in fixing LCD monitors?
Jul 17, 2009 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

warrior05

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 19" Samsung LCD monitor that, when working, displays a really nice picture. The problem with it is that it can't seem to hold onto the signal from my computer. If I turn it off then back on, I see the display for about 2 seconds then it goes blank. It is the same symptom for both the DVI and VGA feed.

I took apart the monitor in hopes to find something obvious that I could fix but didn't find anything. Just curious if anyone has any possible fixes I might try. Otherwise, I thought I would give the monitor away (taker pays for shipping) to someone who might be able to use the screen since the screen itself does not seem to be the problem. I just don't know anything about LCDs in regards to fixing them.

Any suggestions?

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 8
Is it even worth fixing? How expensive could a new 19" LCD be these days?

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 8
the cheapest newer 19" LCDs are TN displays, which while generally nice and fast for gaming have poor viewing angles and color saturation for anything else.

That said, I think LCDs have hit the point where they are essentially throw away commodities once out of warranty - the cost of repair is just too high, especially when you factor in backlight life, etc.

What a great excuse to get a new 30"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Certainly it isn't worth having someone repair it but I was thinking it would be a great project for somebody or if someone had some insight I could give it a go. I just hate throwing stuff like this away. Especially when the main part of the unit - the screen - seems to be fine.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, my dad owns an electronics repair shop (The reason why I have a boatload of vacuum tubes! Wahoo!!!) and I see people come in with their tiny LCD's... We just tell em that it's not worth fixing... Maybe you can save it yourself, but you might screw it up more. If you have a soldering iron, go crazy re-soldering everything that would make sense fixing... Repairing electronics is 50% common sense... Usually when my dad fixes a TV he tests all the caps with multimeter then replaces the one that shows to be dead, powers it on and checks for more problems. Worst comes to worst, you shell out 170 for a brandy-new 24"

May I suggest this one? http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...6099&oc=S2309W

It comes out to ~148 when you add it the the cart.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 8
I'd give Samsung a jingle, even if it's out of warranty. Maybe they had a bad batch, and they'll do something nice for you, like exchange it for a new one, or give you a discount. Can't hurt to try.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd give Samsung a jingle, even if it's out of warranty. Maybe they had a bad batch, and they'll do something nice for you, like exchange it for a new one, or give you a discount. Can't hurt to try.

That's a very good idea. Funny - I usually give that kind of advice and it totally eluded me.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back