Anyone who prefers the SR225 to the MS2?
Oct 27, 2004 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious, because while the MS2s sound great, if I crank the volume up at all there's just too much brightness in the midrange. But I'm worried about going to the SR225 because the MS2s do so many things well... do the 225s fix any of the problems I have with the MS2s midrange? Am I just not a grado person?

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
I'm curious, because while the MS2s sound great, if I crank the volume up at all there's just too much brightness in the midrange. But I'm worried about going to the SR225 because the MS2s do so many things well... do the 225s fix any of the problems I have with the MS2s midrange? Am I just not a grado person?

Actually, I believe if you crank up a 225, you will get MORE brightness in the midrange and treble. It's still a "Grato" versus the "Aahlessandro" imho. An Alessandro is as neutral as you are going to get in the Grado line. Yes, you can get less bright by going to a MS-1, but then you lose detail and there is a bit of rolloff in the highs compared to the MS-2. You very might well be a Senn fan and not know it, because at its heart an Alessandro is still a Grado - a neutral Grado will still blow the socks off a non-grado can in the "in your face" department fwiw.

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 10
The MS-2's are preferable to the SR-225's in almost every respect. The mid's & highs are much brighter on the 225's. To change the sound of the MS-2's, you might try other pad variations, or at very least reversing the bowl pads. Doing this will change the sound signature considerably. You may find this tweak to be just what you desire.

- augustwest

Oct 28, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Just received my MS-2's and find even after an inital 24 hr burn-in that they sound far better, in all ranges, when compared to the 225's or 325's. Oh! the first thing I did was install flats for the standard cushions.

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm currently using vwaps rather than the stock bowls, I don't know whether flats will improve the situation dramatically enough.

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
The MS-2's are preferable to the SR-225's in almost every respect. The mid's & highs are much brighter on the 225's. To change the sound of the MS-2's, you might try other pad variations, or at very least reversing the bowl pads. Doing this will change the sound signature considerably. You may find this tweak to be just what you desire.

- augustwest

My experience mirrors Augustwest. I felt absolutely no need to keep my SR-225 after I got my MS-2s

Oct 28, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 10
I think it may be the K240S for me from here on out. I just put my father's pair on and remember why I liked 'em so much. Highflyin9: recabled K240S? How do they sound?

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 10
I got some ms-2s to listen to while i wait for mods to be done to my 225s...

im very worried that i may not need them back hahaha.
although some who knows, after some better cables im sure the 225s will sound better.

but yea, im sure this has been said but unchanged MS-2's : the bass isn't takin over the rest of the frequencies and the highs aren't as forward. unchanged 225s: the bass can overwhelm, but it seemed to tighten up with an amp. the highs attacked me until i removed the bowls and tried some of my various other pads. as for the mids, i didn't notice much change, but i did notice slightly more detailed mids in the ms-2s.

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Well, the MS-2s weigh much more
tongue.gif

I'm getting something like them when I grow up... or my wallet does, at least
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back