anyone who knows about that recent rpc windows exploit come give me advice!
Aug 12, 2003 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dweebgal

500+ Head-Fier
so i get an SMS off my not particularly computer literate friend earlier, who's pc i've been promising to go install stuff on and secure it up for ages (oops, bit late now..), stressing that his pc was totally crapped up.

it sounds like the recent security issue, covered by this patch.

but, he's already affected by it, so just downloading it will do me no good (plus his computer auto reboots after a minute as well...joy!)

any easier way around this than me having to format and reinstall?

i expect probably not, ho hum, his hard drive, not mine.
i think he's got all his stuff stored one one partition as well.. sheesh
rolleyes.gif

(he is so getting norton firewall on his machine after this!)

you know what makes it even more difficult, he has a pc bought from pc world, hence NO SOFTWARE AT ALL ON CD, no drivers, no o/s, no nothing.
looks like i'm gonna have to dig up a "special" copy of winxp.

i'm too good to my friends

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 20
I know a friend who's working at a company that's been hit hard by this attack. I'm installing the patch before they try something more serious like rd /s /q c:
eek.gif
!

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 20
I thought the patch came out 23 July.

I wonder how the hacker broker in, or got the worm inserted in the first place.

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 20
I wouldn't mind knowing more about this. I got several Dr. Watson's from svchost.exe -- that's the entry point, isn't it? I tried to reinstall (over a modem!), and the IE scripting part failed -- is that bad? Do I need to reinstall? [size=xx-small](whine!)[/size]

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
I thought the patch came out 23 July.

I wonder how the hacker broker in, or got the worm inserted in the first place.

well. i've got the patch, but my friend hasn't.

silly boy

Aug 12, 2003 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 20
Ah crap. SVCHOST.EXE just crashed. Not a good sign. I installed patch, but I keep reading that the Win2k patch isn't working properly. GAH!

Aug 12, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 20
Turns out my sister had the worm on her computer and she's the gateway for internet sharing so she got hit first. Just installed Zone Alarm on her computer and set it to block TCP/UDP ports 135, 139 and 445.. This should keep us safe for the time being.

Aug 12, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 20
On a sidenote: I'm glad I'm switching to a Mac in a few days.
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Mcrmouse30
Go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Remote Procedure Call(RPC)>Recovery and set it so it won't reboot. That will give you time to download the patch and install it.

i'm just going to take it round on a floppy from my computer

Aug 13, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 20
yeah its the w32 blaster worm ... its been slashdotted ... check slashdot.org for more info.... im too lazy to post url's right now...

its slows down your net connection ..time outs etc... gives you svchost not found will be closed by windows ... you cant cut paste after a while ... your add/remove programs becomes messed ... i never got it but a friend did.

Aug 13, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #15 of 20
Hmm...I've kept current on all WinXP updates, been on the internet with my XP computer, have a firewall and updated antivirus definitions, and I don't have it...YET. Is that enough, or should I do some other things too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back