Anyone using iM716 @ 100 Ohms?
Apr 14, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 25
Okay, that last answer was a little short. My 5.5G ipod video runs at about 70-90% on the volume to get adequate levels out of the IM716, and the sound quality without amp is just not good enough for my ears. Without proper amplification, I think there are better choices of IEM for right out of the headphone jack - Denon AH-C700, Super.fi 5 pro, SE530, SE310, JVC FX66, to name a few.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which is like giving my ear a "wet-willy".

Exactly!
biggrin.gif

I wet my ear canals with water instead of the triflanges. Just run your hand under the tap, stick one finger in right ear, then another finger in the other ear(wet willy).
Then insert the im716.
wink.gif

Quote:

the IM716, which seem very demanding (some say twice as hard to drive as a ER4S).

Yeah, indeed they are. I think we just found the HD650 of the IEM world. Demanding and fussy.

Quote:

(1) The IM716 are extremely sensitive to the seal in the ear, or the depth and position, even when you are not a newbie to IEM and think you have a seal.

Glad you found my post useful. I was afraid I was gonna sound condescending or coming off as a jerk when I was giving advice on how to insert IEMs properly...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Phew... glad that went well...
tongue.gif

Quote:

(2) The IM716 are very sensitive to what amp I use to drive them.

They are fussy indeed. But when everything is right....
eek.gif

Quote:

In my opinion, adding 33, 47, or 55 ohms to the podectomized IM716 seem to work best (when driven by an iMod with ALO portable LOD and Headstage Lyrix Total pro amp, using Shure black foamies). Going higher than that with my particular setup has the effect of pulling back the vocals and dynamics, and no resistor makes the sound too muddy and cloudy. While all of those resistors help to clean up the muddled sound of a de-podded IM716, it is possible to go too low or too high, with compromises in either direction.

Thank you for this info HeadphoneAddict. I guess I'm gonna skip 100 ohms and use 68 ohms then.
smily_headphones1.gif

@HeadphoneAddict, try it with your D1 if you've already got it back from iBasso. I find it sounds very nice and punchy with the D1 on stock opamps. Use the DAC of the D1 from a PC/laptop source too. Try it and see, sounds great.

Using the microshar u017 adds bass but makes everything muddy. Yucks. OTHO, the u107 does wonders for my Darths. Go figure...
biggrin.gif

Reading the posts in this thread, I think there are two important things to note:

1) You have to be very lucky to get PERFECT seal. When this is achieved, there is pure musical bliss. I'm lucky the triflanges fit me PERFECT. They seal completely.
I dunno if changing tips to different types is gonna change the sound significantly or not. They are very sensite to position, insertion depth, amp choice etc... So i guess changing tips WILL change their sound since they are soooo sensitive. Better or worse sound, I dunno.

2) AMP choice is VERY essential. Its not about if it can be driven or not. It has to have perfect synergy.

wink.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading the posts in this thread, I think there are two important things to note:

1) You have to be very lucky to get PERFECT seal. When this is achieved, there is pure musical bliss. I'm lucky the triflanges fit me PERFECT. They seal completely.
I dunno if changing tips to different types is gonna change the sound significantly or not. They are very sensite to position, insertion depth, amp choice etc... So i guess changing tips WILL change their sound since they are soooo sensitive. Better or worse sound, I dunno.

2) AMP choice is VERY essential. Its not about if it can be driven or not. It has to have perfect synergy.

wink.gif

But I already said that. You can't get credit for that, no fair
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
In Summary: My findings are that:

(1) The IM716 are extremely sensitive to the seal in the ear, or the depth and position, even when you are not a newbie to IEM and think you have a seal.
(2) The IM716 are very sensitive to what amp I use to drive them.
(3) That (assuming #1 and #2 are dealt with) adding 22, 33, 47, 55 and 69 ohms can work well with the IM716 podectomy...

Okay, maybe #1 was your idea first...
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I already said that. You can't get credit for that, no fair
wink.gif

Okay, maybe #1 was your idea first...
tongue.gif

I LOLed when I read that.
tongue.gif

I'm still grinning away while I'm typing this...
biggrin.gif

LOL LOL
biggrin.gif

PS: Don't forget to try the iM716 on your D1 when you get it back.
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #21 of 25
Update:

Here is my update since I first started my thread. I should probably post this there too:

I have since removed the pod, and replaced it with 48ohm matched TKD metal film resistors. I now find the iM716 even more detailed than before(HD mode), however the bass is slightly less than what I was hearing with the HD mode. The 48ohm resistor has been burnt in for more than 3 days non stop, and its still less bass than what I got in HD mode before. Its on the borderline of being not enough, but hey, I'm a semi bass head. I'd say its enough bass, but ANY LESS and I'd say it lacks bass. It does not go as deep or low as my Darths though... Tried it on Rob Zombies's Brickhouse 2000, and I can CONFIRM it cannot keep up with the Darths in the bass dept.
wink.gif
Maybe I'm expecting too much?
tongue.gif

Or maybe the D1 is now a bad choice after removing the pod? Who knows...
frown.gif

BTW, before I took out the pod, I measured the resistance and it was 100++ ohms and left/right had a diff. of about 4~5 ohms...
rolleyes.gif
Whoopteedoo Altec, way to go...
Now, after I depoded them, they are exactly 52.8 ohms on each side if IIRC.
Its being used with my D1. Doesn't sound as bad from my u107 now.
wink.gif

Again, these comments are a follow up from my previous comments, so please read my previous comments first to get an idea of where I'm coming from.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #22 of 25
i am trying to make a inline resistor cable like P to S converter.
but i am a total noob at electronics, so i wonder if i add 75ohm resistor to the cable and plug the unmodded im716 what would be total ohm??

I am also planning to use same kind of cable (maybe with a lower resistor) at Sporta Pro is there a way to calculate such things?

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #23 of 25
I don't think that's such a good idea. Unmodded iM716 is around 100++ ohms in HD mode IIANM. If you add 75 ohms, its just gonna be added on to the total since its gonna be resistors in series. So total would be about 175++ ohms. Not good.

Just remove the pod. Go for a value of 47 ~ 33ohms.
biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back