Anyone using Foobar 9.6 you should try the new SoX upsampler
Dec 25, 2008 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mikeb

100+ Head-Fier
Have just downloaded the new SoX upsampler and initial impressions are that it is an upgrade on the normal upsampler, smoother and more space around instruments. I am presently using it with 24bit, upsampling to 96khz with WASPI output ( definitly best foobar output if you have Vista) into Lynx AES16 soundcard into Benchmark dac using balanced connections, give SoX a try.

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 14
Thanks! trying it! ^_^
I was using till now the PPHS resampler or the SRC. SoX seems nice, quite smooth, but to be honest, for the moment i don't feel difference, or its very very small and im not able to compare.

I will use it for a days with some songs and then back to the old one to compare. I don't use to feel the difference with the samplers except if they are in very low sampling rates.
Thanks again for the suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 14
I never understood, should we resample or not, hundreds of threads, not an answer,

ps: By the way should'nt DAC1 resample on its own?

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never understood, should we resample or not, hundreds of threads, not an answer,

ps: By the way should'nt DAC1 resample on its own?

Here's your answer: Does it pay to dress up our pets as if they were humans?
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 14
I tried it and can't say i like it (although i don't like any of the upsamplers really).

For some reason all my attempts at upsampling with plugins has ended up with the sound feeling harsh and that the music loses its "soul".
With this plugin it does sound smoother, and instruments etc feel more separated. BUT going back and forth between the plugin on/off it was as if the reason for the smooth sound was because it toned down/removed other things from the music.

I think we really need a sticky post when it comes to the different ways to setup foobar correctly to understand the proper ways step by step. I know it is made more difficult with internal resamplers with sound cards etc but we have to start somewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 14
For the lazy...

Foobar
The Vista output plugin the OP mentioned is named WASAPI output support, not WASPI. I remember reading about vista being bit-perfect so we wouldn't have to mess with asio or kernal streaming... ah well. More stuff to test out.

Resampler based on Sox
Preferences, Playback, DSP manager, Resampler (SOX). 192000 doesn't give me audio for some reason so I'm trying out 96000.

It's free, so judge with your ears.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 14
does the ASIO do the same job as WASAPI for vista at the same quality?

and what this "SoX" is execly? what is it do?

and how do i use it? making all the music files going through it?

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1.does the ASIO do the same job as WASAPI for vista at the same quality?

2. and what this "SoX" is execly? 3.what is it do?

4.and how do i use it? 5.making all the music files going through it?

1. I don't know
2. It's a very complex sound proccessor
3. SoX - Sound eXchange | HomePage
4. Download the first file in the link posted in an above post (A new resampler DSP for foobar2000 - Hydrogenaudio Forums)
5. Once downloaded, unzip the .dll to the foobar2000 componants folder. then open foobar, go to file -> preferences->playback->DSP manager and put the Resampler (sox) in the active column and click on 'configure selected' above that column.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 14
MikeB, I'm interested in the Lynx card ...but wondering if it's a significant upgrade from the Trends UD-10 converter I'm now using. Anyone tried Lynx vs. Trends or the Empirical Offramp?

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 14
The Lynx soundcards are aknowledge as probably the best sounding soundcards available at present, mine is the AES16 this only outputs a digital signal which I then process using a Benchmark dac. If you want digital and analouge outputs the LS2 or LS22 cards are probably best for you. I also have a RME 32/96 which is also a very good card similar in most apsects to a LS2/LS22, I personally find the Lynx sounds a little better.
I haven't heard a Trends converter but by all accounts its very good (I actually have two Trends 10.1 digital amps excellent sound), the Trends however is very different to the Lynx in that it is a usb device and has limitations due to this, whereas the Lynx cards are pci cards which fit inside the computer and have loads of adjustments for upsampling tp 192khz, if necessary although I personally find 96khz is the best compromise. When using the Lynx cards or RME cards they come with their own ASIO's which work with Foobar, JRiver etc, as I have said previously I prefer WASPI when using Vista although any differences are quite small but discernable on a high quality system. Hope the above helps.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 14
Another +1 for SoX here, cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back