Anyone Using Archos 80 G9 Turbo Tablet?
Oct 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 9
I had one a while back, for what it is a very reasonable device (and apart from the S3/Note 2 the only other Android device that can do USB audio on stock software).

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 9
Let us know how it works out for you. I've never had an Archos device and always wondered how they are.....

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
I had one a while back, for what it is a very reasonable device (and apart from the S3/Note 2 the only other Android device that can do USB audio on stock software).

Hi I have bumped into you in a few forums in searching for the evasive line out.  I own the Nokia 808 which offers USB OTG Line out but I also wish to pursue for my tablet ---
I own Galaxy Tab 7.7 -- great tablet but seems like it will no longer be officially supported beyond ICS (BIG thumbs down to Samsung for this and enough to maybe make me give up on Samsung  and even Android as emphasis on customer satisfaction seems so poor.

Anyway, no more mini-rant --so a few questions if you can kindly answer..

1) Even though Custom Rom Support is low for 7.7 is it likely i will get USB OTG audio support if I take the plunge and upgrade to a Custom JB Variant?  Or put another way does getting JellyBean ensure USB OTG line out or is it truly device dependent and limited only to S3 and Note 2 only???

2) There are many docks out for various Samsung tablets and some offer "line out"  --- I understand this still will not bypass the internal DAC but is the "line out" a true clean line out that might make sense to feed into an AMP or just a rerouting of the headphone out that is amplified and likely to be just as distorted?

3) Do you have any views on the 7.7 sound relative to the Note 2 -- which just launched here in Singapore this weekend.  I was considering the Note 2 but ... A) after being burned by Samsung so badly in terms of their not supporting their most expensive tablet, I am not sure they deserve any more of my hard earned $$$ -- as they say "fool me once..." , B) Even if I did decide I want to buy --- the no contact price here is about S$1,000 --- and even though I could get S$300 trade in on my 7.7 --- not really sure the S$700 cash layout can be justified just to get Jelly Bean --- (which we should be getting anyway!).  I find using Headphone out through poweramp on my 7.7 to provide a passable but uninspiring listening experience --- well below that of my Nokia 808, which in turn can not match my pc to portatube+ set up

4) I know it might be premature but as I might just give on Android, do you have any perspective as to how the Windows RT devices launching soon might perform as to USB out and as Music devices in general?

5) My amp/Dac of choice is the Portatube+ which I currently run off my notebook but I would love to run it off my phone or tablet --- even if amp only.  I notice you do not list it in your S3 and Note 2 dacs --- is this because you know nobody who has tried yet or is it confirmed not working?

Realize you may not be able to answer all these but would appreciate any insights you have as I make my decision as to whether just to live with my 7.7 , or just waste money to upgrade to a JB tablet or migrate to another platform entirely. Compared to my frustrating experience with 7.7 support and Google's  lack of interest in catering to the Sound Quality  driven segments of its user base, Even Apple is starting to look viable to me now, and I have always disliked Apple.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Hi I have bumped into you in a few forums in searching for the evasive line out.  I own the Nokia 808 which offers USB OTG Line out but I also wish to pursue for my tablet ---
I own Galaxy Tab 7.7 -- great tablet but seems like it will no longer be officially supported beyond ICS (BIG thumbs down to Samsung for this and enough to maybe make me give up on Samsung  and even Android as emphasis on customer satisfaction seems so poor.

Anyway, no more mini-rant --so a few questions if you can kindly answer..

1) Even though Custom Rom Support is low for 7.7 is it likely i will get USB OTG audio support if I take the plunge and upgrade to a Custom JB Variant?  Or put another way does getting JellyBean ensure USB OTG line out or is it truly device dependent and limited only to S3 and Note 2 only???

Getting Jelly Bean does not ensure getting USB audio, or at least not in a really meaningful sense. Google have not implemented a standard type USB audio in Jelly Bean, and Jelly Bean devices do not work with USB DACs without modification (see the 'how to' thread on the Nexus 7 here for more details). The S3 and Note 2 have a standard kind of USB audio implementation, but that is a Samsung addition, not an Android function per se.

2) There are many docks out for various Samsung tablets and some offer "line out"  --- I understand this still will not bypass the internal DAC but is the "line out" a true clean line out that might make sense to feed into an AMP or just a rerouting of the headphone out that is amplified and likely to be just as distorted?

Sorry, no experience with docks here.

3) Do you have any views on the 7.7 sound relative to the Note 2 -- which just launched here in Singapore this weekend.  I was considering the Note 2 but ... A) after being burned by Samsung so badly in terms of their not supporting their most expensive tablet, I am not sure they deserve any more of my hard earned $$$ -- as they say "fool me once..." , B) Even if I did decide I want to buy --- the no contact price here is about S$1,000 --- and even though I could get S$300 trade in on my 7.7 --- not really sure the S$700 cash layout can be justified just to get Jelly Bean --- (which we should be getting anyway!).  I find using Headphone out through poweramp on my 7.7 to provide a passable but uninspiring listening experience --- well below that of my Nokia 808, which in turn can not match my pc to portatube+ set up

Been a long time since I listened to the 7.7 I used to own, from memory similar to the original Note, which means a reasonable step down from the Note 2. 

4) I know it might be premature but as I might just give on Android, do you have any perspective as to how the Windows RT devices launching soon might perform as to USB out and as Music devices in general?

No idea sorry, I would hope they won't break compatibility with existing devices in new Windows devices of various kinds though.

5) My amp/Dac of choice is the Portatube+ which I currently run off my notebook but I would love to run it off my phone or tablet --- even if amp only.  I notice you do not list it in your S3 and Note 2 dacs --- is this because you know nobody who has tried yet or is it confirmed not working?

DanBa maintains that list, and if it doesn't appear on it that is likely because nobody has tried it. You could try it in a store and let us know!

Realize you may not be able to answer all these but would appreciate any insights you have as I make my decision as to whether just to live with my 7.7 , or just waste money to upgrade to a JB tablet or migrate to another platform entirely. Compared to my frustrating experience with 7.7 support and Google's  lack of interest in catering to the Sound Quality  driven segments of its user base, Even Apple is starting to look viable to me now, and I have always disliked Apple.

I think the Note 2 is the way to go in all honesty. It compared favourably with the iPhone 4 on the blind, volume-matched test I did with another of my sites editors, just needs a bit more oomph in the volume output (which custom kernels or external hardware will provide). It also has the added draw of that more standard USB audio implementation, so you can scale the SQ to your liking. Last years Note will be getting Jelly Bean, and enjoyed very good developer support, and I expect this years Note 2 should do fine on both counts also. The 7.7 was a slightly strange one from Samsung, release was delayed forever, and then it didn't really enjoy a wide release (despite having A LOT going for it) - I suspect Samsung kind of abandoned it for that reason. They won't do that with the Note 2.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 9
@nztech

Thanks -- i appreciate the input

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 9
Let us know how it works out for you. I've never had an Archos device and always wondered how they are.....

Spent several hours last night with it and have to admit I'm liking it so far. Setup was a breeze and I was up and running in no time. Last Archos device I purchased was over ten years ago and still own it (Jukebox Recorder 15gb).

After all the not so positive reviews I read on this I was a bit apprehensive, but all is well so far. I even held off on buying a case just in case I returned it. Looking for music apps now. Stock is not bad and does gapless playback well. Even found a great app that plays m4v files. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and tapping into my home nas was a breeze as well.

Very pleased so far.

Cheers!!!

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the 250gb hard drive version of the archos 80 G9 & I'm sorry to say I just can't recommend it. It has the standard archos quirks (intermittent dying of apps) but it seemed really nice until it decided to 'lose' all of my playlists. Then I started getting random "SAFE MODE' warnings. Oh, and while you can download any music app you want, it's really hard to get the app to play your music without excessive stuttering. You have to find an app that allows you to play with the buffer... and even then it's not 100% . It does have the very nice feature of allowing you to use an external usb DAC so long as you get the proper adapter cable. Don't get the cheap adapter plug. You need the cable that will provide power to the DAC. But anyway, my Archos is dying slowly and I'm hoping that it lasts long enough for me to finish the laborious task of copying the contents of my beloved playlists. Don't even bother contacting Archos tech support because they don't answer. My G9 was close to the end of the 1-year warranty, so I'm guessing they were just playing a waiting game. Or else it's just that they don't answer. Whatever.

Nice product, but I consider anything Archos as a disposible player. It just won't last that long. So if the price is OK for a short term use, then it's a pretty nice player. Plenty of codecs, decent sound with the newly updated player that has EQ settings, and good storage options. Just terrible support & longevity. I'd stay away from the hard drive version for sure. It gets hot & that's probably part of the problem. If I wanted to gamble another $250 I'd get another one & make sure I used some kind of cooling device... I really wish mine had worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back