Anyone using a mini toslink adapter with glass optical cable?
Jul 27, 2009 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

auee

100+ Head-Fier
I have only been able to find one glass toslink cable with a mini connector on one end for use with a Mac Mini and a DAC, the Van den Hul. It is more expensive than other glass toslink cables with the regular connectors on both ends. Has anyone configured his/her system with a glass toslink cable and an adapter? How has it worked out for you? Do you have any specific recommendations for the adapter and cable? I am trying to keep the price down to $50.00 with shipping. By the way, I am using USB now and want to try optical. Thanks to all for the help.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 15
im selling MONSTER mini toslink to toslink cable if you are interested
i have 2 actualy

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 15
I've used a glass toslink cable with the mini toslink to toslink adapter for the past year. The adapter is less than $5. The system has worked well. I also have a plastic toslink to mini toslink cable from monoprice. I like the build quality of the glass toslink better than the plastic cable.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use this and this:

Glass Toslink Digital Optical Cable
Amazon.com: Toslink To Optical Mini Adapter: Electronics

Works great, no problems I can detect.

will the glass one work better than my monster minitos to toslink cable?
Interlink-LightSpeed-sm.jpg

i havent tried it yet...
plugging it into my reciever to optical should work fine with my macboook tho right?

i have a few of the monster minitos to toslink for sale auee

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirebottleRon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should add that my adapter was a right angle unit.

I'm currently using a right angle adapter. Have a straight one in reserve and broke a straight adapter. They both work the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will the glass one work better than my monster minitos to toslink cable?
Interlink-LightSpeed-sm.jpg

i havent tried it yet...
plugging it into my reciever to optical should work fine with my macboook tho right?

i have a few of the monster minitos to toslink for sale auee

Plastic and glass should perform the same. I like the build quality of glass cables better.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 15
I've been long thinking of comparing the Lifatec.com cables (they have a mini-optical to Toslink cable) to my VDH Optocoupler. I don't like the adaptors personally.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been long thinking of comparing the Lifatec.com cables (they have a mini-optical to Toslink cable) to my VDH Optocoupler. I don't like the adaptors personally.

Why? Thanks for the follow up.

Also, the Lifatec cables with mini optical connector is not a glass cable.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 15
I just got the Lifatec mini to toslink cable but I'm still waiting for my DAC. The build quality seems pretty good.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by advan031 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the Lifatec mini to toslink cable but I'm still waiting for my DAC. The build quality seems pretty good.

Good to hear; I just went ahead and ordered that cable in the 1 meter lenght today. The price was well less than $50.00 with shipping. Also the optical cable will free up a USB port and allow me to play hi res files.

By the way, how long did it take for you to receive the cable from the order date?

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by auee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear; I just went ahead and ordered that cable in the 1 meter lenght today. The price was well less than $50.00 with shipping. Also the optical cable will free up a USB port and allow me to play hi res files.

By the way, how long did it take for you to receive the cable from the order date?

Ordered it on Wed and got it on Sat...from NY to California.

I also bought their toslink to toslink to run across the room from my PS3.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by advan031 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered it on Wed and got it on Sat...from NY to California.

I also bought their toslink to toslink to run across the room from my PS3.

Thanks for the response. I look forward to hearing how the optical connection compares to the USB connection and playing hi res music files.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Curious to know whether you managed to do a comparison. Those seems to be the two of very few companies selling a Toslink-Mini optical cable. I don't want to use adaptors either.

I picked up a cheap Toslink-Mini cable by 'Shaxon' (never heard of it before) from the local Fry's ($10 for 1 m).

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 15
I now use a Sony 3m cable I came across, because my Optocoupler is too short. After a lot of playing around, I've decided, in the end, that optical just isn't so great to begin with. Very cheap optical cables though with a few of the DACs that I've tried seemed to cause unpleasant harshness in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back