anyone used wireless sen RS 4200 & RS 140 - Updated: impressions added
Jun 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Quaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
have already owned the rs 140, but curious about the rs 4200.

after them for watching tv/movies only wirelessly.

just wondered how they compared.

long shot but thanks
normal_smile .gif

EDIT:

after purchasing the RS 4200, have added some brief impressions, that may help others pondering same.

only had the RS4200 for one day at this point for reference.

RS4200 Pros:
  1. clever implemnetation of auto power off/on when removed from your ears. (saves having to remember to manually switch off and waste battery)
  2. the charging dock is slightly more user friendly than compared with the RS 140 where sometims it wouldnt make contact with charging contacts
  3. also charger dock is a lot more compact
  4. stethoscope design means your head is free of a headband and clamping force/covering of ears, so cooler temperature wise to wear.
  5. ability to use rechargeable battery in base for mains free operation
  6. ability to securely drop down over neck when breaking from listening/lightweight/compact enough to carry on with tasks and resume with ease
  7. speech inteligibility is easier to see when activated due to orange led on base, on the rs 140, it was a black switch on a black background, so to check you woul dneed to walk right upto the unit
RS4200 Cons:
  1. takes time getting used to the 'stethoscope' format of the rs 4200, a bit uncomfortable on the ears with the weight of the unit hanging down, equivalent discomfort level to the grado headband after long duration on the head - this is something i suspect will be gotten used to
  2. background hiss. equivalent hiss to RS 140, maybe even more noticeable!
Conclusion:

if you are a full size can person. then maybe the RS 110/120/130/140 are for you

i am usually a full size can guy, and havent gotten on too well before with IEMS

but taking into account the above, feel that i am glad i went for these and didnt re-purchase the RS 140

both are decent. but for my own needs right now, these fit the bill more accurately.

RS140 = more of a wireless music headphone.
RS4200 = more of a wireless TV/DVD listening device.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 7
Quaddy, how long would you say you've had the 140s? I'm looking at a pair for movie-watching use, but had a pair of Senns die on me in the past, and would appreciate insight from someone that has been using this model for a while. Also, what would you say its weaknesses are, if any?

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 7
I bought Quaddy's 140's 3-4 months ago and have been using them a little since then. They are not all that fantastic sq wise but for the occaisonal tv/movie listening late at night when I can't be bothered to have 4 meters of cable strung across the bedroom I suppose they are ok, at least at the used price I paid quaddy, but I don't think sq wise that they are worth the retail price.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 7
hey guys, the 140's are fine for movie watching, absolutely fine, i am not that snobby and critical over a pair of phones, whose primary goal is to unburden you of wires, which the 140s do splendidly, and their upkeep is minimal, simly place on the base to charge, what could be easier, the sound was fine and i had no complaints, i actually wish i had kept them now in hindsight and may have to re-aquire them for i find they are needed now, whence before they were sitting idel!

i cant see them 'dying' on you, they were of decent quality and after all, are sennheisers, which dont need any introduction, they are the top pf the full size RS series so should be of a minimum standard, i suppose things can always go wrong, and if you pick your retailer well, should have no issue with refund/replacement.

amazon are the very best in that regard.

HTH

p.s. nc800, glad you have made a little use of them, that 4 meters of cable running across the place can drive you mad eh!
smile.gif

p.p.s. bump for original post!!

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 7
guess i will be able to answer my own question, have ordered the 4200, will post and give my impressions of them compared with rs 140 here after i get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back