Anyone use Open Office?
Aug 17, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #31 of 37
For the most part I find that OO is great for most things, but there are some features in OO Calc (Excel) that are just a PITA to work with simple things that just get in the way (moving cells, and charting for example.

You can't beat the OO price though.

Aug 17, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #32 of 37
I use Gnumeric and AbiWord in my office and in home. The environment in my office is MS and I don't have big problems with it. The speed is very good and I open and save all files I need to. As mentioned in previous posts the only thing that might break is that when M$ user opens the document the margins might be slightly to the left or right of the original intention.

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #33 of 37
The more I use Openoffice, the more I recognise the old, pre-paperclip, version of MS Office as a wonderfully crafted software. MS Office really caters for everyone, from the casual English-as-second-language user to the academic egghead. There are still some glaring omissions in Openoffice: grammar check (which Abiword has), the ability to create statistical error bars in charts (for which I use Gnumeric).

KDE's office suite, KOffice, has an interface so alien that it scared me from further exploring. The next major version promises some interesting features though, and I'll get back to it when it becomes available.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_villain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Gnumeric and AbiWord in my office and in home. The environment in my office is MS and I don't have big problems with it. The speed is very good and I open and save all files I need to. As mentioned in previous posts the only thing that might break is that when M$ user opens the document the margins might be slightly to the left or right of the original intention.

I've been wondering about AbiWord. I've been using OO for a few months and while it works fine as a word processor, it takes a long time to load and is a resource hog.
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #35 of 37
Personally, I like Abiword more than the Open Office word processor. And really if you don't have to work with anyone who uses Word files, it is all you will need.

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #36 of 37
I prefer using AbiWord then excel and power point for everything that AbiWord can't handle.

Edit: AbiWord feels a lot faster on linux though, it still feels faster than MS Word or OO on windows though.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 37
what i dislike about both OO and Abiword is that you have to hit the shift key to capitalize the first letter of the first word in a sentence. In MSO, it does it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back