Anyone use Open Office?
Aug 15, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 37
I use open office pretty much exclusively. When transferring from OO to Ms Office some of the formatting may change slightly but it is not bad. I still use MS power point though as I have trouble getting sideshows made in impress to work in power point.

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use open office pretty much exclusively. When transferring from OO to Ms Office some of the formatting may change slightly but it is not bad. I still use MS power point though as I have trouble getting sideshows made in impress to work in power point.

Like no1likesme said about the formating might change slightly, but it's not that bad. If most people are using MS Office for basic word processing then Openoffice is a good solution.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If so how do you like it? How does it compare to MS Office? I'm especially interested in your answers if you work professionally with the suite and your clients/colleagues are using MS Office - how seamless is it passing docs back and forth?

Thanks!

--Illah

IMHO, the only good thing about OO is that it's free. Uniformly, OO runs slower, is a resource hog, and has a worse UI than Office. Writer always does a little mucking up of formats unless it's plaintext or RTF. Calc is worse and macros aren't interoperable. Impress wasn't really compatible with Powerpoint last time I tried it.

I really don't see using it in a professional environment unless everyone in the office is using it. Especially when a new copy of Office with Word/Excel/Powerpoint is ~$110.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 37
The work environment itself is imposed homogeneity so this only becomes an issue working in the home environment, in my case linux OO.

For the most part, it works seamlessly if for reading the documents. Works not so well if edits are performed and the document must saved in OO to a downgraded version file in MSFT native format, sometimes minor document formatting gliches are seen when reopened in the real Word.

MSFT has, in theory, been putting more bells and whistles in Office for the last decade. Most of the docs I see in corporate America today could just as well have used a version from 1994.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 37
I've been using OO Writer and Impress for the last two years, since my laptop didn't come with MSO. They work fine for me. I don't have problems with the format change if you send files to an MSO machine because I do my printing from my laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impress wasn't really compatible with Powerpoint last time I tried it.

My Impress ppt files have always worked seamlessly with my university's Powerpoint computers/beamers. You have to select the right saving format.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 37
I used OO in windows for about 1-2 years before I dumped XP for Linux. I never had any problems, but I did see a significant performance increase w/ OO under Linux compared to XP.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 37
I'm only using because the Office 2007 trial ended and I'm going to wait until I get a discount on it. Open Office is alright but slower and not as streamlined. For free however, its pretty decent.

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 37
I use it, but mostly just because it's free. It will get you through whatever you're facing, but not that efficiently or easily. However, free is free and I much prefer OO than paying for Office, which isn't that great either.

I like how Apple has progressed with its iWork package though. It only has a fraction of features offered by OO or Office, but it's easier, as well as, faster to use and pretty nice for presentations with its Keynote. The newest incarnation also seems to sport spreadsheet capabilities, although I haven't tried it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back