Anyone try the new 3D HDTV display at Best Buy?
Mar 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
I must admit, It gave me a wow feeling & had me grinning.. Videophiles will be picky.. There is some bluring, but I heard it's due to the TV being LCD, & the plasma 3D TV's will be immune to this..This will be huge for gaming, next gen.. I said it first.. Next gen consoles will be 3D compatible..

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 30
I agree with you, I think the real niche for 3d is in gaming, the idea that games (sports and shooters especially) will have a depth of field would be the first revolutionary development in video games in some time. Imagine having a motion sensing device paired with 3d, could be insanely fun.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must admit, It gave me a wow feeling & had me grinning.. Videophiles will be picky.. There is some bluring, but I heard it's due to the TV being LCD, & the plasma 3D TV's will be immune to this..This will be huge for gaming, next gen.. I said it first.. Next gen consoles will be 3D compatible..

The PS3 will be 3D capable with the next firmware update.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Next gen consoles will be 3D compatible..

Maybe, it does mean you need to render two scenes at the same time though.

Mar 15, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 30
Do you know how easy it would be to make gaming in which two people have full screens (and cannot look at the other screen) with these 3D sets? I think this is a huge market that they are missing out on. Its like having 2 gaming systems, the only issue is the audio, but im sure they can figure something out for that pretty easily. This is what I would wait for.

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 30
Are there any good solutions for those who wear prescription glasses? I've gone to a handful of 3D movies, but do not enjoy wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time. No, I'm not interested in contacts. They're inconvenient and require too much time to deal with.

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any good solutions for those who wear prescription glasses? I've gone to a handful of 3D movies, but do not enjoy wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time. No, I'm not interested in contacts. They're inconvenient and require too much time to deal with.

Same here. That is why I have little interest in 3D. Maybe someday they will come up with a solution for us who where eyeglasses.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PS3 will be 3D capable with the next firmware update.

what about PC's?

i dont enjoy shooter games on consoles due to lack of mouse which is a fast pointing device.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the same problem. I have had problems, at times, seeing 3d effects because of my double-glasses situation.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe, it does mean you need to render two scenes at the same time though.

True.. But this gen will be the longest out of any..MS/Sony really need to recoup & make a profit.. Next gen consoles are probably a good 4 yrs away with MS & 5-6 yrs away with Sony.. Will give them plenty of time for 3D.. But the cost issue will be there.. 3D games will probably cost 10.00 more.. So, you figure next gen games will arguably cost 70.00..80.00 for 3D.. I'm basing this off the 10.00 price hike from last gen to this gen.. The price of games will go up next gen.. I see a future where games will cost 100.. I don't think games rendered in 1080p will cut it for next gen.. MS/Sony need something really big, last gen it was about online play.. This gen it was all about HD.. Next gen, 3D? They need something they can market to get gamer excited, especially the casual gamer.. & keeping the cost of the new console to 400 is a must..

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 30
I saw sony's 3d display at the Sony store and thought it was quite lame. There are clearly just various layers of 2d to give a sense of 3d. Each object didnt seem to be three dimensional at all. It was like first layer - rocks, second layer - sea otter, third layer - back ground...something like that. I wasnt impressed. The glasses were quite uncomfortable as well. Maybe it was just the content, and the implementation at its early stages.

While I have no doubt that it will pick up and get better, I am most certainly not thrilled by it in its current incarnation.

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

... the plasma 3D TV's will be immune to this...

confused_face_2.gif

Wut? I thought plasma was being totally phased out??? I did a quick google and sure enough plasma will be making a rebound in the 3D realm. Crazy.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about PC's?

i dont enjoy shooter games on consoles due to lack of mouse which is a fast pointing device.

PC games have been supporting 3D for over a year now. There's a package you can get that's supported from Nvidia with a Samsung monitor, video card and glasses that will make certain games 3D (I know Left 4 Dead is one of them, but I can't remember the others)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back