Anyone still using cassette?
Aug 11, 2009 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

audioaffair

New Head-Fier
For nostalgic or practical purposes, does anyone still use cassette on the move (possibly a Sony Walkman Pro for the devotee?)

As the format of my youth I'm just curious to see how many cassette fans there are still out there!

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 16
Yep, I think that there are a few of us here.

I have a "working condition" WM-3 that I need to do some work on soon - new bands and head at least - but even in its current state it doesn't sound bad at all.

Aug 11, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 16
I gave up on my Sony Walkman cassette player in high school after I got a Sony Walkman MP3 CD player. Man, I think my dad still as the CD player and that thing started me on organizing albums and songs by folder.
biggrin.gif
As for the cassette Walkmans, we have two working ones in the basement.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Think I still have one around, but not played any compact cassette the last 10 years+

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioaffair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For nostalgic or practical purposes, does anyone still use cassette on the move (possibly a Sony Walkman Pro for the devotee?)

As the format of my youth I'm just curious to see how many cassette fans there are still out there!

Dear god NO man... whats there to be a fan of? The crappy sound, the fuss with the actual tape, the long wait on rewinds, the inability to switch directly to one song.. yikes..

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 16
"On the move" no I guess not. But I still have a fair number of cassettes that I listen to at home, and want to get around to digitizing. And I still have my beloved brick of a Sony TC-D5M from sometime last century.
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #12 of 16
Nostalgia only - but there's nothing wrong with that. It's still great to listen to old recordings as a reminder of how things used to sound. Things have moved on though, and I wouldn't go back to cassette in any real practical sense.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 16
Well, the car has a cassette player. In it we have an adaptor to play ipods etc. through the unit.

I don't think that was where you were going though.

Too much wow and flutter for portable use when using cassettes for my tastes. I want music when I run...the mp3 player made that much more viable. I still remember fooling with various sports models, disc drive models, etc. "in the day". Yellow Sony units, Outback sony units, disc drive Sony units....etc.

Then went on to a dismal foray into minidisc for running. They skipped until the last generation. Same with portable CDs.

Dat tapes actually were not bad for running, just bulky. And expensive. But a certain cool weird factor went with those. Still have my portable DAT man!! (bet no one else here has one of those!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back