Anyone still usin' UE Super.Fi 5 Pros?
Mar 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Thade

100+ Head-Fier
I recently sold a pair of UE SF3 that I owned for about 1 yr. I bought & re-sold Shure scl3 & scl4 to replace them. I didn't necessarily dislike either, just looking for something different out of boredom and neither really blew me away. Then I stumbled on a deal at buy.com for Altec Lansing UHP336 (aka SF3) for 39.99 so I snagged a pair bringing me right back to where I started but I am very satisfied with the sound signature and I have no prob with the fit, form factor or comfort. I swapped the cables with a softer UE replacement cable and switch between soft silicone tips & T-500.

Anyhoo, I'm still itchin' for an upgrade. I know the Super.Fi Pro 5s were pretty popular back in the day. I've read all the more current SF5 type threads and also reviews & comparisons to the new SF5 model. I'm not a big fan of the new design, non-replaceable cables and single driver so I'm almost ready to push the button on a pair of SF5 Pro. I guess I'm lookin' for approval from anyone who hasn't ditched their 5 pros for latest & greatest offerings. Are these considered bad by today's standards?

TIA

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 36
I don't know what the "today's standards" are, but they are great when it comes to my standards
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 36
TIA,
Do yourself a favour and pick up a pair of SF5P's. With how cheap they are going for nowadays, they probably have one of the best price/performance ratio's of any IEM right now. I did give my pair away when I got higher-end gear, but believe me when I say you will be pleased with their sound. I strongly recommend performing the "FS" mod as well.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 36
I just recently bought one. Waiting for them to come in.. but im not sure if its the new version or the old version. How can you tell? I bought from amazon..

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TIA,
Do yourself a favour and pick up a pair of SF5P's. With how cheap they are going for nowadays, they probably have one of the best price/performance ratio's of any IEM right now. I did give my pair away when I got higher-end gear, but believe me when I say you will be pleased with their sound. I strongly recommend performing the "FS" mod as well.

Thanks! This is helping a lot.. For the record, My name isn't TIA, that was meant to say "Thanks in advance" :p

Also, I have read all of the glowing reviews about the PFEs and I'm sure they sound great & all but I'm not crazy about the design, low sensitivity & FOTM factor

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! This is helping a lot.. For the record, My name isn't TIA, that was meant to say "Thanks in advance" :p

Also, I have read all of the glowing reviews about the PFEs and I'm sure they sound great & all but I'm not crazy about the design, low sensitivity & FOTM factor

OH, a magic of initial
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 36
Still use my SFP5s, enjoy their sound, and mine have been durable. I tend to use them when I am traveling on long international trips and don't want to worry about the cord (replaceable). Still good sound, and lots of newer options, but still a classic.

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 36
It's been a while since I've owned the 3 or 5pro series. I can say without a doubt that the 5pro is a very good iem for the price. And is a very noticeable upgrade over the 3 series.

I do aggree that it's best to reverse them and put the left phone in the right ear and the right phone in the left ear for a better fit and comfort.

Please don't confuse the UE SF5Pro with the new(logitech) SF5 which use a single driver and new physical design.

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh nooos. You said FOTM. Prepare to get a beatdown...

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 36
hope the reviews help you
Amazon.com: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro Earphones (Clear): Electronics

originally i had er4p, but i wanted better low-end response and better design. fwiw sf5pro is a perfect iem for me. it might not have the detail er4p has, but it has enough bass and the cable doesn't make much noise when you walk. the fact that i was satisfied with sf5pro while downgrading from er4p should let you know that these really are worth it. i've never met any sf3 users who wasn't satisfied when upgraded to sf5pro. plus at amazon you can return it if u don't like it so u really have nothing to lose here. GO COP THE SF5PRO

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 36
Thanks! Yeah, I've read all of the Amazon reviews and just about every other review so I'm basically THIS close to pushing the button (Holding thumb and index finger very close together)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 36
What are you pairing them with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back