Anyone still into MDs?
Feb 4, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #61 of 93
I wish Sharp would make some flash-based DAPs with the Auvi 1-bit DSP/Class-D amp.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #62 of 93
they did make portables but not based on that amp. if they did, they should make it with a properly powered amp: that 8mw * 8mw was okay but it ran into many limits and very soon : all pump in the middle if not externally amped. it sounded good though

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #63 of 93
I had one of these -

sharpms722.gif

It was great and served me well for about 6 years. Slot loading so a bit larger than the Sonys but it was more rigid as a result. The Diver watch design was good too as the sliding ring made it really quick to add text to discs. Sound quality was a revelation for a mobile product at the time. I remember a mate of mine had a 64mb Rio and we had fun comparing.

However, I sold my car with the MD changer to my brother in 2004 and didnt use the Sharp for about a year. When I picked it up to use it I got the dreaded UTOC error. Nothing would get rid of it, even the diagnostic mode.

I hung onto it for a while but in the end I sadly threw it in the trash. Heartbreaking end of an era stuff.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #65 of 93
In answer to the original question: YES!

I teach music history and MiniDisc is an incredible tool. I can put tracks anywhere in a piece to pinpoint details, instantly compare passages - or passages in different pieces or different interpretations. Show how a piece of medieval polyphony is related to a passage of monophonic chant.

It's a perfect match of technology and application for me.

Sony MBD-JB930
Sony MZ-M100 (wish I'd waited JUST a little longer...)

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #68 of 93
I bought the Sharp MD-MT15 back in 2000; it was my first foray into digital music, and I owned this even before my first PCDP. I loved it and the included headphones were the best I ever owned.

Unfortunately, it has since died, and the headphones just became worn out. But, I did have some great times listening to my MD-MT15. It got me through several airflights and other trips.

Thanks for this thread; it brought back a lot of memories.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #70 of 93
I have 2 Sony MZ-R37's. I still play with them from time to time.

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #71 of 93
Hmmm I am surprised to read some people think MD was poor sounding.
Here in the UK it was the defacto recording media even in the Hifi mags which had an effect on CDR not taking off in standalone recorders.

I use it daily for playback of vinyl and am very happy with it.
There is nothing i can find that has a full size deck like my jb980 which i can record to a removable media apart from an SD card recorder that are harder to find in the uk than a new Minidisc recorder

Its use today is for recording off the radio and vinyl and for that its great.

Martin

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #72 of 93
Both of my old players are still in very good working order, I bought both the Sony MZ-R50 and Sharp MD-MS722 around ten years ago. The Sony was used for mostly recording duties and the Sharp was purely for music.

IMG_2188.jpg

I still like the format, although my DAPs and PCDPs get most of my attention I'm still debating whether to pickup a silver MZ-RH1 before they completely disappear from the face of the earth.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #74 of 93
Old bloke post....

I've been using MD for years. I didn't even know that MP3 players could play high quality and lossless audio files until a couple of weeks ago. Wrote them off years ago after hearing appalling early MP3 sound.
I was right on the verge of ordering the Sony MZ-RH1 to replace my old R909 which wont record any more.
HOWEVER - My curiousity aroused by new information, I ordered a Cowon iAudio7 just to compare SQ with my Sony R909. It isn't any better I have to say, but it's as good. The clincher which made me send the 8GB Cowon straight back in exchange for the 16 GB version was the sheer simplicity and speed of transferring files, and the wonderful portability of the thing! OK. Dammit. I give in. I love it.
The money I saved on not buying the MD has gone on a set of IE7s which I hope will arrive today, and I think I already know that my MD deck with its incredible DAC (MDS-JB930) might be on its way to Ebay......
There you go, another convert.
I still kinda love that little silver box and that lovely backlit remote though.......

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #75 of 93
I actually just found my old MZNF610 in a box still works little beat up but none the less still sounds great. now if only i could find discs i might have to bring it out of retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back