Anyone still into MDs?
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #91 of 93
HI, I am really a newfier. this is my first post. I am happy to join in the audiophile family.

To the MD, it is really worth to be memored. For the most of the mp3 player is not as perfect as the MD. i don't know why after so many years, the mp3 player can't make a breakthrough of the audio technology.

if there is a hifi MP3 player as perfect as MD in term of sound quality, I would like to pick one for MP3 player is smaller and the battery time is much longer.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #92 of 93
i am so sorry to have said the R50 was the problem unit - it was the R55! Shows my age. I had the cheap version of the R55, the R37 which remains my favourite-looking MD player of all time. Consequently, I also prefer it to any MP3 player! Sound-wise, I have owned many units from Hi-MD and Sony's newer digital amps and don't find SQ to be better than MP3 unless you refer to hiss levels. Some dynamics are simply lost in comparison, but that also makes certain listening even better since it is 'natural'. The Shapr AUVi units were quite decent.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #93 of 93
"Anyone still into MDs?"

My answer is a definite "YES!". But however my MDs are now being used mostly if not exclusively for car, home, and studio use.

For portable use, everyone here on Head-Fi knows by now that I would prefer to carry my 20GB NW-HD5 Network Walkman around with me with all of my files in gorgous Atrac3plus 64kbps, mostly ripped from either CD's or from my MD masters through the facilities of my trusty MZ-RH1 (or the M200).

I am sure that all of you also know by now that I prefer not to buy music files online, as I too, think that most of the files available from iTunes, Rhapsody and Napster sound like crap compared to the ones I rip/upload myself.

Mainly the HD5/RH1 connection is an obvious one, that being that they both run on SonicStage CP 4.2, and because I have heard so many horror stories about the iPod lineup's bad overall SQ and poor battery life (the average iPod runs about 15-20 hours/charge compared to the HD5's 40 hours), as well as the fact that iPods will not work with SonicStage, which would've allowed me to upload my MD/CD files on it and convert them to a more iTunes/iPod-friendly codec like AAC or MP3 so I can "get with the program" as most of you would say and get myself a N.O.S. (5.5G or older) 160GB Classic as opposed to the inferior 120GB variety in which they stick you with now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back