Anyone seen the million dollar cable challenge?
Oct 2, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #61 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by akerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Confirms suspicion that's been lurking for years.

My position is that the sound-producing device (headphones, speakers) account for 80% of the experience, the amplifier 19%, and 1% is all the rest - cables, spikes, weird stones and such.

What about source? I think that makes up a pretty large chunk. Maybe Headphones/Speakers 60%, Source 25%, Amplification 14%, the rest 1%.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #62 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about source? I think that makes up a pretty large chunk. Maybe Headphones/Speakers 60%, Source 25%, Amplification 14%, the rest 1%.

I don't agree source having that much effect. The differences between amplifiers are large compared to sources by what I can hear.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #63 of 160
Back in the days of vinyl and tape, source was more important. Most well designed CD players have pretty much the same specs. The differences between them are more in the areas of ease of use and build quality. (which are still important, it's just that they don't affect sound quality...)

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #64 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to travel to Randi's facility only to get a bullet in my head afterwards because someone doesn't want to give away his million dollars.

I'm quite sure you wouldn't be leaving with either! You're a funny one.

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #65 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If JREF is serious about pushing the idea of science then surely using a sample size of one is only testing the abilities of one individual. If that individual succeeds or fails no truth about the difference between cables could be claimed give such a small sample. It's bad science. Do the experiment with a random sample of 200-600 hundred people and maybe you'll get some useful info.

Those sorts of tests have been done already. The average person can't tell any difference between cables of reasonable quality.

The people who are propogating the myth of high end cables are the audio magazine and website reviewers whose bread and butter is put on the table by the advertisers who support them. That makes them an accomplice in the snake oil. The golden ear reviewers who are selling out their readers for the sake of protecting their advertisers' scam are the PERFECT ones to target. Bring them down and the whole house of cards falls.

There still will be suckers. There are always suckers. But there won't be a mass market way of reaching them if the audio press is held responsible for what it touts.

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #66 of 160
I have a couple of friends that are now completely hounding me over my hobby, since to them (specially now) is a huge SCAM!

I never really had an opinion in cables, but I guess I now know to be weary of advertising claims.

People like James Randi and Penn and teller (Although Penn and Teller have screwed up a couple of times) are my heroes, and I'm glad that JREF is not only attacking paranormal claims (like ESP, which I'm always amazed to find that people believe in!) but also claims which affect us on a more day to day basis (be wary of advertising claims, etc.).

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #67 of 160
You don't think ESPN is real?

wink.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #68 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The golden ear reviewers who are selling out their readers for the sake of protecting their advertisers' scam are the PERFECT ones to target. Bring them down and the whole house of cards falls.

This is great. I hope they reduce the price of Nordost Odin after he fails the test! All manufacturers will go bankrupt and they will sell their remains for peanut prices, then non-audiophiles will tell their friends with iPods to try their cable. Then they search around and read about Randi and get upset that he bankrupted it all, then they tell others and they hear the difference between cables too. Eventually there are millions of believers in the world who are craving for better cables. Then new manufacturers will appear and they will compete with other manufacturers and the prices will be very low. Eventually someone finds a way to measure the cables properly and then the truth will be out.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #69 of 160
They'll all march in the streets with pitchforks and torches and storm Baron Von Frankenstein's castle! But the world will be a better place after the storm is over and every boom box and iPod in the world has cables three inches thick.

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #70 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is great. I hope they reduce the price of Nordost Odin after he fails the test! All manufacturers will go bankrupt and they will sell their remains for peanut prices, then non-audiophiles will tell their friends with iPods to try their cable. Then they search around and read about Randi and get upset that he bankrupted it all, then they tell others and they hear the difference between cables too. Eventually there are millions of believers in the world who are craving for better cables. Then new manufacturers will appear and they will compete with other manufacturers and the prices will be very low. Eventually someone finds a way to measure the cables properly and then the truth will be out.

WAKE UP!!!!

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #71 of 160
this is basically DBT...so why is it allowed to be open?

anyway, i understand why he wouldn't allow "just anyone" to do his challenge. he picks (on) people who are high profile enough that if they failed, that that possibility alone would be enough to deter them from even taking up his offer. that we he gets to revel in his own ego, and doesn't have to worry about joe averages coming in often enough and finally winning.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #72 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

anyway, i understand why he wouldn't allow "just anyone" to do his challenge. he picks (on) people who are high profile enough that if they failed, that that possibility alone would be enough to deter them from even taking up his offer. that we he gets to revel in his own ego, and doesn't have to worry about joe averages coming in often enough and finally winning.

He does allow "just anyone" to do the test.

Read before posting.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #73 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That guy's hardly scared of being proved wrong. This isn't the first such test with prize he's offered.

In this case it's just a matter of being inspired by audio reviewers' hilarious descriptions of cables. What better people to test than those two make their living claiming to tell stuff like this apart?

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #74 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He does allow "just anyone" to do the test.

Read before posting.

settle down, i did.

i'm going off what cclragnarok said on page 2. the "anyone" on his actual website is referring to his paranormal tests, not his audio cable test. and the "any" in the article in question refers to audiophile reviewers. it may be the case that you are right, but i would venture a guess and say that he is more interested in agitating the high profile reviewers than anything else.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #75 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That guy's hardly scared of being proved wrong. This isn't the first such test with prize he's offered.

In this case it's just a matter of being inspired by audio reviewers' hilarious descriptions of cables. What better people to test than those two make their living claiming to tell stuff like this apart?

i doubt he's all that scared either. but if enough people came in, eventually somebody would guess the right ones (assuming it's something like, passages are played using one cable, and then can be A/B'd [under DBT] with the other).

i don't think the answer to a question like this can necessarily be decided under his testing conditions, whatever they are. but at the same time, i think marketing lingo plays a fairly big if not total role in which one is better...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back