Anyone seen the million dollar cable challenge?
Oct 4, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #121 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, can we at least agree that there is an audible difference between using cheap electrical wire as speaker cable and higher gauge, well-insulated ones like Monster?

I think you need to define "cheap electrical wire."

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #122 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Convince me than a Rolex, gives you a better time than any cheap quartz watch...evnewhile it cost 60 times more...

Ah...the CEO of Rolex was once quoted that they don't sell watches, they sell luxury. And that's precisely the way I look at a lot of these high brow audio companies. The question of accurate audio reproduction isn't one that can be answered perfectly if you simply throw enough money at it. The question of which audio set ups are the most luxurious can easily be measured as a function of cost. But people should not confuse luxury with performance. That is not to say that ultra expensive audio gear doesn't perform well. But the differences in performance between it and lower cost gear aren't nearly as great as many people think.

--Jerome

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #123 of 160
Quote:

I, for one, did hear an audible difference between the stock HD650 cable and some after-market ones at a mini-meet (an Equinox, I think). I'm quite sure that I can pick out the two in blind tests.

Typically the argument is about cables of sane construction. One could argue that stock headphone cables are not designed to be sane but usable -- light and easy to fold.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #125 of 160
Hmm.....AB test on wine is acceptable while cable isn't.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #126 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How a fetus grows in the womb to for a human life is more unbelievable to me.. & if there was no proof of this, I'm sure you wouldn't believe that either.. Same with Dinosaurs. & how about planets suspended in space..

Alright, there's a joke I like to say.
'Will those people with telekinesis, please raise MY hand.'

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can guarantee you that nature is a LOT more unpredictable than man made wires. But it's still understandable... if you use the scientific method to study it.

See ya
Steve

Well said!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sitting on a couch with headphones on is nothing like wine tasting, and sound is nothing like wine. Wine is an organic product that varies in a hundred different ways from batch to batch. It requires a keen sense and experience to discern all of the subtleties.

See ya
Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually don't engage in cables discussions - but as far as wine analogies go - actually to work your way up the sommelier rankings, in the US as well as France, blind identification is required via a series of tests.

Actually thanks to the one truth in the world, Science (well, in this case more like statistical analysis). There is a formula that predicts the quality and by extension the price of a wine bottle from the day the grapes are harvested! So we don't need 'wine connoisseur' at all!

The formula was derived by Orley Ashenfelter, who is an economist at Princeton.

The formula goes:
Wine Quality = 12.145 + 0.00117 Winter rainfall + 0.0614 Average growing season temperature - 0.00386 Harvest rainfall.

Quote:

That's just my point. Why are there all these churches if there is no God?

Amen to that!

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #127 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.....AB test on wine is acceptable while cable isn't.

Not ABX testing, double-blind testing. And when did anyone say it wasn't acceptable? Randi is looking for people to participate in double-blind tests for this challenge...

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #128 of 160
Oct 5, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #129 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder who's selling snake oil and getting rich here.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...026a6b91-9.pdf

PACE

I don't get your point? He has just under 2 million in net assest. So he can pay out if he needs to.

He put up 1000 in 1964 originally. and in over 40 years nobody has been able to claim any of the money.

He made his money as a magician and author, and has been on the tonight show with jonhny carson several times, also holds 2 guiness world records.

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #130 of 160
i think it's a sham that he claims non-profit status and the amount that he compensates himself for his "contributions" to the scientific community.

if people want to give him money, i don't care, as i don't care what amount people spend on cables.

btw, i think high priced cables are silly, but to put this guy on a pedastal is equally silly.

PACE

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #131 of 160
BTW I think if not one single "qualified" human being can tell the difference between these cables and win the money this forum should be renamed to "Paranormal Jewellery for your HiFi, and speakers", just to clear things up for everyone. Or may be just have a sticky disclaimer stating that all audible difference between cables is likely because of placebo.

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #132 of 160
This whole thread, while mildly interesting, is really pointless for me.

I think I can hear a difference between cables, and I've decided I'll spend up to about $200 for them. I also understand I can resell the cables at maybe a $50 loss.

So for me the cost is minimal, and the fun of chasing a perfect sound is worth it.

Tell me the amount you spent on that fancy dinner was not worth it. After all we know what it turned into in the end.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #133 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This whole thread, while mildly interesting, is really pointless for me.

I think I can hear a difference between cables, and I've decided I'll spend up to about $200 for them. I also understand I can resell the cables at maybe a $50 loss.

So for me the cost is minimal, and the fun of chasing a perfect sound is worth it.

Tell me the amount you spent on that fancy dinner was not worth it. After all we know what it turned into in the end.
evil_smiley.gif

Except a fancy dinner has real differences.

And you think losing 50$ for nothing is worth it?

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #134 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by peelax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW I think if not one single "qualified" human being can tell the difference between these cables and win the money this forum should be renamed to "Paranormal Jewellery for your HiFi, and speakers", just to clear things up for everyone. Or may be just have a sticky disclaimer stating that all audible difference between cables is likely because of placebo.

There is a difference in thinking that no single person can do it, and that maybe a very few can...I could understand that maybe very few can, but not all the ones that claim to be able to do it here can...

Anyway for those who still beleive they can, here is the challenge, one million bucks with nothing to loose other than a reputation...fair enough...IMO...

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #135 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So it doesn't matter if there's no need to spend $200, as long as you can sell them and only lose $50? I sure hope you steer well clear of the stock market with logic like that!

Personally, I choose equipment by comparing it and analyzing its effectiveness. If it works for me well, I couldn't care less about resale value, because I'm going to use it until it doesn't work any more.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back