Anyone seen the million dollar cable challenge?
Oct 6, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #136 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except a fancy dinner has real differences.

And you think losing 50$ for nothing is worth it?

"i want a free recable!"

what is that about. if cables don't make a difference, then why enter a raffle for a headphone recabling. of course, it can't be any better than your stock one - because all cables sound the same. right!

it seems that you don't believe what you profess.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #137 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"i want a free recable!"

what the hell is that about. if cables don't make a difference, then why. it seems that you don't even believe what you profess.

You don't have to think new cables will give a SQ increase to want something recabled. There is practical reasons for it.

Ever own a pair of Grado's? Those cables end up a twisty mess past the Y-split that is very annoying.

Guess I'm not on your ignore list after all. And all those posts you made saying you can't read mine because I'm on your ignore list, were just BS.

Smart move.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #138 of 160
trust me. you're on the list.

but there is an option to read individual posts if i want to. and when i saw your name in the raffle for an upgraded and expensive cable, based on your countless posts i assumed you were just thread crapping there as well with something like:

"fools. hear me. i am lawngnome. don't recable your headphones. it won't make a difference. see these links with random useless information that prove nothing and show even less."

but instead it said: "i want a free recabling!"

the truth comes out.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #139 of 160
Quote:

trust me. you're on the list.

but there is an option to read individual posts if i want to. and when i saw your name in the raffle for an upgraded and expensive cable, based on your countless posts i assumed you were just thread crapping there as well with something like:

"fools. hear me. i am lawngnome. don't recable your headphones. it won't make a difference. see these links with random useless information that prove nothing and show even less."

but instead it said: "i want a free recabling!"

the truth comes out.

Are you tired, or just slow?

Did you not read what I said, and my reason for why I would like my Grado's recabled?

You seem to completely ignore things just so you can continue on inciting fights.

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #140 of 160
Quote:

"i want a free recable!"

what is that about. if cables don't make a difference, then why enter a raffle for a headphone recabling. of course, it can't be any better than your stock one - because all cables sound the same. right!

it seems that you don't believe what you profess.

FYI I'm in that list too, and same as the other poster, just for a practical reason, and not expecting any miracle. But I need a recable for a heapdhone that has the cable damaged, and if I can find a pre-made cable of a good quality, will be better than doing it myself...why not, at the end it is free....
wink.gif

Also have you ever think that being an skeptic doesn't mean at all, that you refuse to believe in them. Indeed you want to try them, and try to find out for yourself if the claims are or not true.

IMO trying different cables will add more elements of weight to discuss with, and will make you an educated skeptic, also to look for an evidence means that you want an explanation to those claims, that till now you do not beleive in, becasue of two reasons, one, you do not hear them, second, nobody can prove they do...till now...

If a physical evidence exists of the differences in sound, then simply we do not hear them (till now) and this will be simply a problem of our hearing, now if the evidences are not there, we do not have any problem yet...
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #141 of 160
Sigh.....don't waste your effort, guys. Argueing with them won't help your hear better music.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #144 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI I'm in that list too

I'm not. When the cable on my Sennheisers developed a short, I ordered a new one from Sennheiser for 8 bucks. It's a great cable.

See ya
Steve

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #145 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not. When the cable on my Sennheisers developed a short, I ordered a new one from Sennheiser for 8 bucks. It's a great cable.

See ya
Steve

If I win that one will be free....LOL...I save 8.00 but anyway it is not for Senn....
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #146 of 160
I wonder how they would prevent cheating on this challenge? Say, for example, you made a cable out of doorbell wire and installed a capacitor in the plug housing to give it a nice 200hz cut-off. Charge $10,000 for it. It would be trivial to distinguish from any other cable becase it would remove all the bass.

Even choosing high resistance wire might have an affect, since it could potentially lower the volume level slightly which may be noticable.

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #147 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even choosing high resistance wire might have an affect, since it could potentially lower the volume level slightly which may be noticable.

The levels need to be matched. But high resistance has impact on dampening which shuld be audible.

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #148 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly my point, a couple of years before my dad pased away (RIP), I tested his hearing, and he was not able to hear above 10KHz. He was not deaf at all, and he could hear everything around him, any conversation, anything at normal loudness.....he was at that time 75-76 years old...I have tested some other fellows a lot younger, and the same results, 10-12KHZ maximum, that reminds me that media is not 20-20KHz and many here think, it is a lot less, an exceptionally good hearing could hear 16-17KHz maximum, if you do not trust me, just ask Etymotics, ask why they cut the freq curve around 16KHz...

It was my understanding that the reason that Etymotics "cuts" the freq curve around 16kHz is actually a design limitation with armature based products which is why most IEMs have that cut off including the UE 10 Pro/11 etc. I could be wrong, but I think that's the case.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #149 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how they would prevent cheating on this challenge? Say, for example, you made a cable out of doorbell wire and installed a capacitor in the plug housing to give it a nice 200hz cut-off. Charge $10,000 for it. It would be trivial to distinguish from any other cable becase it would remove all the bass.

The idea of Randi's test is precisely to make sure whether a different cable *alone* makes an "improvement". Simply measuring the cable's basic electrical parameters (R, Z, L, C) you could tell whether something is suspiciously not measuring like just a wire.

Randi's test goal, once again, is not to simply prove whether people can differenciate between cables; his aim is to show that allegedly a $7000 cable doesn't provide any improved performance.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #150 of 160
Some new developments related to this challenge: "Pear Cable CEO Calls James Randi's $1 Million Offer a Hoax"

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=95361

One part I find rather disappointing:

Quote:

"And, in the past, Randi denied audiophiles the chance to take the "challenge" with regard to differentiating between speaker cables."

Putting the silly, media-attracting $1 million prize aside, I think the question of whether people can differentiate between cables (speaker cables, headphone cables, and/or interconnects) should be answered with solid DBT backing it up. If Randi's foundation is not interested in that test, well too bad. At some point it should be done properly and seriously.

Edit: further down in that thread someone named RemieV states that apparently they are working on the cable challenge:
Quote:

There has been quite a large response to the cable challenge. We are slowly working through all of the e-mails regarding it, and will have more information soon. We are also in contact with Michael Fremer. We hope to develop a test for the cable challenge sometime in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back