Anyone run 2 computers?
Mar 19, 2005 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

BowerR64

1000+ Head-Fier
I use one computer to rip videos and record music watch DVDs, the other one to game on and listen to music surf and what not. When i game on one i watch DVDs on the other and use em all threw one set of headphones for good blasting sound.

What i do is use line out from the game machine to the line in on the DVD machine and it mixes the 2 audio together. Its sweet it doesnt rob any speed on the gaming machine and the video is perfect on the DVD machine but i got both audio.

I found these sweet "front-x" bay ports that have game out, mic, line in and phones out on the front bay so i use that to run my stereo patch cable from machien to machine. Quick, easy and neat.

Mar 19, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 32
Four in my house. My desktop, my boyfriend's desktop, the PC for movies and stuff connected to the TV in the living room, and my old laptop. I only listen to my headphones on my desktop, though. All the media lives on the HTPC and is shared out to the other machines via ssh.

Mar 19, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 32
I use to use EAC on a desktop PC to rip and an OS X machine to encode, listen, etc. Eventually I just starting using iTunes with error correction on the Mac and store mostly ALAC files on a 160 GB external drive.
Now I use DVDshrink on a PC laptop (haven't found a free OS X equivilent) to rip and encode films. So there's a portable movie computer and a home based music computer (iPod does the portable part). Don't game on either.

Mar 20, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 32
Four here. Networked and set up for dedicated application -- Office Apps, AV, Communications and Backup.

BW

Mar 20, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 32
Three computers - One is usually at the repair shop, One at work and one for the road. I have two USB2 HDDs that I keep at work and home for backups.

So here's an interesting tidbit of info: Ever receive an attachment "msmail.dat"? I found a website that decodes this mail attachment that MS Exchange generates for non RTF format mail systems like AOL. This is the FAB site that decodes these mystery attachments.
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 32
1 here.

Silent pc that does everything -> music, video, and internet. (no gamer here)

I wouldn't want to use another one to ruin my silence in my room.
tongue.gif

I do have a laptop though...which is even noisier than my desktop.

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 32
I have 7 computers used pretty much each day, kinda sad I know
biggrin.gif

I have my main rig and my gf's, 24/7 server, a htpc and 3 laptops (2 lounge 1 for bed!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 32
I have 3. My desktop, my laptop, and an old Celeron box running linux (Fedora Core 3) that I play with every now and then. And every now and then I think about picking up a Mac Mini. Bah.

Mar 23, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #12 of 32
In my dorm room i have 3 computers at my desk :

Main rig is two 17inch monitors at 1600x1200 for daily use. amd64 3400+, geforce6800gt, 250gb SATA, etc...

Server is 450mhz, 768mb ram, andhas nothing plugged into it but power and LAN. It has 300gigs of storage(on 6 HDs total), and dvd drive setup to autorip any disc i put in it.

Laptop is 700mhz 256mb ram, 60 gig HD. I keep it in the keyboard tray so i can slide it out and open it. I use it for mostly the video output to my TV to watch movies on when i'm using both other monitors, as well as taking to classes, car trips, etc.

I also have a laptop in the glove box of my car that has win98 with foobar set as the shell so when the car turns on, the laptop gets power, boots into foobar, and starts playing 20 gigs on random through an rca input adapter to my head unit. It's only 400 mhz with 128mb ram, but it's perfect for what i need, since the battery and screen were dead when i bought it for $50.

everything cost a total of only $1100 over the years. I buy used and cheap except for my main desktop (amd64 3400+, geforce6800gt, 250gb SATA, etc...)

Mar 23, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 32
I have 3 computers for my use in front of me.

My main desktop (soon to be a server), Athlon XP 2100+, 1 gig RAM, Radeon 9500, 250gb, 200gb, 2x 120gb, 2x 40gb, CD/RW, CD/ROM, Leadtek TV Tuner, EMU 404.

My laptop, Pentium M 1.4Ghz, 512MB Ram, Radeon 9600 Mobile, 40gb 4200RPM, 15.4" WXGA widescreen.

My server/alternate desktop, Pentium 3 450Mhz, 320MB RAM, 10GB HDD.

The desktop and server are on a 4 port KVM, and the laptop is as well, when I want to use dual screen support from the lappy, and the main desktop has a second 15" CRT for dual screen. The main display on the KVM is a Samsung SyncMaster 712N.

My main desktop is doing double duty as my file server and media/gaming PC. Soon I will be building a new media PC.

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 32
I have a whole beowulf cluster in my closet, but that's beside the point. For the best sound quality I suggest installing either VLC media player, or using Winamp SHOUTCAST! to stream it over the network to your game PC, so you have less signal degredation, as line-in on PC's is ****.

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 32
My supply is a laptop for my main computer thinkpad t42 1.7M, old laptop for my wife, and a slightly used desktop.

I have to question your use of a beowulf cluster. What purpose is there for a cluster at home? I had a 32 node cluster (at school) I used for computational chemistry. I've had thoughts of setting up a cluster at home, but really have no need except the fun of setting it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back