Anyone own this old-school Minolta SLR?
Jan 1, 2005 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

null

Headphoneus Supremus
Minolta X-700

My mom bought this camera back when it first came out. She was interested in photography as well at the time. She said she still had it lying around somewhere and I didn't know much about this camera, but it was in IMMACULATE condition; she babied it. After looking on the internet for more info, it seems like this is a REALLY GOOD camera! Man, and I was going to save up for an entry-level DSLR, I think I'll just use this baby!
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Man, and I was going to save up for an entry-level DSLR, I think I'll just use this baby!
biggrin.gif

Splendid idea, because it's a nice cam indeed. Should be the direct successor of the XG-7, iirc - also a nice cam (my stepfather has one of these...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 19
That's not "old school". Old School is a Minolta SRT-101. I had one with a .7 lens. Now there was a piece of glass!

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

That's not "old school". Old School is a Minolta SRT-101.

I was thinking the same thing. My first good camera was also an SRT-101 which I purchased second hand in 1969. Great camera.

Null, that 700 is capable of taking great shots, and if you have access to a scanner, you can still operate in the digital world with your shots. One good thing about an older film 35mm is that you can find additional second hand lenses and accessories dirt cheap.

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 19
The Minolta SLR's are highly regarded. I also started with the older SRT, then bought a cheap Sigma system before moving to an Olympus system which consisted of OM1, OM2, OM3, and OM4Ti cameras with many lenses. I sold all my Olympus gear over ten years ago very cheaply because I needed the money and now I wish I would have kept it.

That Minolta X-700 is a nice camera. I still shoot on film, using a Canon, but I don't get prints done anymore. I get the lab to process the film and they scan it to CD. It ends up costing about the same as processing and printing, and I then import the photos straight into iPhoto.

Jan 2, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks guys! I'm glad my mom still kept it in great condition (and never sold it or anything)... so this camera can take good quality pictures eh?

Jan 2, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 19
I have three of the X-700s and they are excellent cameras. I have a collection of over 200 classic cameras, so these do not get used very often. At one stage I used them exclusively including on assignments for major publications and have had excellent results. I have most accessories for them as well - lenses, auto winders, motor drives, data backs, bellows etc.

The only complaint I hear is that they tend to lose an electrolytic cap in the shutter release circuit rendering the release unfunctional. It is easily fixed and there are numerous articles on the net on how to do it. The caps turn up on Ebay regularly as well. I have never had this problem, though I have stocked up on a few of the caps just in case.

They can hold their own with the best of their vintage and class. They are also backward compatible with most Minolta and Minolta MD/MC compatible lenses and accessories with very few exceptions ( ones where the rear of the lens protrudes too far back and hit the mirror ).

Jan 2, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

so this camera can take good quality pictures eh?

Yes it can take excellent pictures. I guess it is dependant on the lens. What lens do you have? Make sure the lens is clean and look right into to it to see if it has any fungal growth, which could degrade the image. It should be fine if it wasn't in damp conditions, but if it has fungal growth inside it it may not be worth fixing.

Get some lens cleaning tissue and a blower brush. Don't use anything abrasive on the lens surface because it is delicate and you can cause very fine scratches that can degrade the image quality. If it doesn't already have one, I would buy either a UV filter or a Skylight 1A filter to protect the front lens element.

Jan 2, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 19
I got myself a Canon digital SLR a few months back, it's one of my best purchases in a long time. Digital's great, you can take a load of photos with different settings, get them onto the PC right away, and see what effect the settings all have. It tells you everything aperture (eg F1.8), shutter speed, white balance settings, whether the flash went off, and loads of other things. It made my learning curve much shorter than it otherwise would have been.

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 19
Yeah, i was thinking about getting an entry-level DSLR (digital rebel or something) but i think I will just stick with this camera. It sounds like its great, and I dont really have the money to spend on a DSLR anyway
tongue.gif
but yeah the good thing about them is you can preview your shots.

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 19
Yeah, the X-700 is a great camera. You know, there is something really satisfying about using a camera designed or built in the 80's - mostly metal, with enough electronics to help you rather than be completely overwhelming. I think the 80's were the absolute "Golden Age" of 35mm SLR cameras, I miss a tremendous number of the little beasties. I owned 2 Olympus OM-4's and somewhat miss them, but wouldn't mind a Canon F-1... (what's with me and solid, metal cameras anyway?)

If you can get yourself down to a (great) used camera shop and handle some of the cameras from that era you'll find some great cameras selling for suprisingly little funds. Everyone is a-ga-ga over the latest and greatest but these cameras are probably the finest of the "I'm still a photographer and the camera better do what I want it to" generation.

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Yeah, i was thinking about getting an entry-level DSLR (digital rebel or something) but i think I will just stick with this camera. It sounds like its great, and I dont really have the money to spend on a DSLR anyway
tongue.gif
but yeah the good thing about them is you can preview your shots.

That's what I have, the 300D. Until you get pretty good it's not going to limit you, compared with more expensive digital SLRs. The camera's the cheap part - then you need memory cards, spare battery(s), lenses (I bought 3), external flash, tripod, etc.

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #14 of 19
My dad has one (backup for an XE-7) and it gave him a bit of trouble once in Mexico due to a plastic gear that failed. That said, it'll take fine pictures as it manages to keep the film fairly flat. Remember that the lens is much more critical that the body (if the film is held flat).
CPW

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

... so this camera can take good quality pictures, eh?

Make sure you get at least 1 roll developed by an Authorized Kodak developer.

Then guage all other developers (WalMart, KMart, etc.) against the Kodak stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back