Anyone own the Cullen-modded ZP90 ?
Jul 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
AFAIK, this previously required a second purchase from W4S and a some shipping costs:

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/539960

To my surprise, Len Wallis here in Oz is offering this as a 'turnkey' product - 

http://www.lenwallisaudio.com/products/custom-solutions/multi-room-distribution-systems/connect-zp90-cullen-mod

1100 AUD still isnt cheap, but if you can avoid purchasing an external reclocker from the likes of Empirical, I assume that's worth the upgrade over the standard ZP90 ? Peachtree dont seem to offer the hidden compartment in their newer integrated DAC/amps, but for those with the older Nova/decco/decco2/idecco models ..... 

Interested to hear from someone who has heard the Cullen-modded version - seems to get rave reviews everywhere else. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 2
I think many here view the Sonos as an inferior transport- and the stock unit is not so great save the fantastic interface and ease of use.

I have a Sonos system for the two stereos in my home, one is the Cullen Moded ZP90 and the other is a stock ZP90 with the Empirical Syncromesh reclocker. Briefly, I find the the Cullen Mod to sound very simmilar to the Empirical Syncromesh with a huge improvent in soundstage, immaging and timbre compared to the stock unit through the same DAC's. I find no difference between the Sonos streamed files (ALAC) and the CD, again using the same DACs. Interestingly, I found the sound of the Cullen Mod through the Syncromesh compared to the Cullen Mod alone to be about the same.

Overall I could not be happier with a reclocked Sonos as a transport and find myself wanting for nothing. This is, of course, my impression only. Perhaps those cursed with "golden ears" will have a much different opinion.

Cheers

MacBook (ALAC files)- Sonos bridge- Cullen Mod ZP90- Burson DA160- Cary Xciter
MacBook (ALAC files)- Sonos Bridge- Stock ZP90- Empirical Syncromesh- Grace m902

Users who are viewing this thread

Back