Anyone own the Beyerdynamic DT440?
Apr 15, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 26
The DT440 is a good groovy sounding headphone. They're definately not terribly bright or laidback, they have their own characteristic sound, kind of friendly sounding
smily_headphones1.gif

It's hard to describe them if you haven't heard any other Beyers before, but they're a bit like the DT531 with a little more clarity and detail.
The only thing I don't like about them is that they're a bit heavy.

Apr 15, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 26
I was actually looking to get the Senn HD595, but heard that these were a good, cheaper, and easier to drive alternative. I have a hi-fi store near my dorm that carries Grados and Beyerdynamics, so I'll probably stop by and try them out. If anyone has owned the HD595 and the DT440, don't be shy to chime in!
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
(....) but I don't know if I like the DT440 more
smily_headphones1.gif

Neither do I, because the DT531 really rules in the comfort department.

Oh, and yes, strid3r, I own both the HD 595 and the DT440 - and I still think the DT440 does better sonically for less money. Comfort-wise, I'd prefer the HD 595, though - but it's not a day and night difference, I'd say.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 15, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 26
I prefer the DT531 sound, but I can understand why some would prefer the DT440
smily_headphones1.gif

Contrary to popular misconception, when it comes to headphones there often isn't a good/better/best heirarchy. Everyone has personal preferences - people will often prefer "lower end" headphones over other models. eg: the DT531 is probably my favourite allrounder even if it's not technically the best headphone I own.
The DT531 and DT440 sound similar enough for it to come down purely to personal preference.

Apr 15, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 26
Typically no, headphones aren't better than others. But if the DT 440 happened to have a very similar sound to the 531 but was just a bit better in most respects, then yes, the heirarchy could work. But I was really wanting to know whether they had a similar sound (falling under the groovalizer category and all), and I think I got my question answered.

Apr 15, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 26
ReDVsion: Sorry, I can't be more precise yet, but my ears are still somewhat congested - so if you aren't that much in a hurry and can wait a few more days, I'll post my promised direct DT440/DT531 comparision impressions, anyway...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 26
That'd be great, lini; I look forward to it as well. Of course, then I have to figure out how the DT 531 compares with my K240S again, but I'm sure I can get a good idea of how it sounds.

Apr 15, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 26
ReDVsion: Not much of a problem - I can include the K240S as well. Just don't ask for including the DT880 or DT250/250, too, because these are still in Munich...
wink.gif

strid3r: The DT440 is comparatively new on the market (and thus might not have made its way to the US, yet) - whereas the DT531 is discontinued, now.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 15, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 26
You own the DT880? I thought you didn't like them... too "bland" etc. Plus, I doubt their sound characteristics are going to be similar enough to make a comparison necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back