Anyone own HD800 and Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linnear USB
Feb 4, 2010 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shabta

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought the HD800. I live in Europe and have been researching headphone amps and DACs. Since Sennheiser actually used the Lehmann Audio in their demonstretion of their headphone, I was thinking this would be th right choice for me.

However, researching Head-Fi, I have been surpriseby the fact that it seems as though no one actually lives with this combo. Is there anyone who actually has a Senn HD800 and Lehmann Black Cube USB and do you like like it?

If you listened to it a lot (not just 20 minutes in a store) and decided to go with something else please say why and what you went for instead.

BackGround

I was living for years in California, in a biggish house. I had (actually still have) a pretty good stereo with SimAudio Moon I-5 amp Rega CD player and Triangle Celius speakers.

But I moved to France and have a very small living space and nieghbors. So I ripped 1500 cds to my computer and decided to get some HD650s and a Audio-GD Compass DAC/AMP. I wanted to see if I could live with headphones. Yes. But I missed the open soundstage of good speakers. When I heard a pair of HD800s I flipped for them immediately. This was everything I was missing. Well except for the amp and DAC. So anyway that brought me to the Lehmann because if it is good enough for Sennheiser to use it to show off their top of the line headphone then it should be good enough for me.

Thanks!
Shabta

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 16
Hi Shabta

I live in Portugal and the two main reasons that led me to buy the Lehmann was the fact that Sennheiser use this very amp when developing the HD 800 and because the amps that we saw so many times at this forum come to Europe heavily taxed.

At the end I order the Lehmann Audio Black Cube in it´s version without the USB Dac, so my opinion is of the amplification.

In a word is a wonderful amplifier , the sound was the best that I heard . I had a Musical Fidelity X-can V3 and there is no comparison.

I use my rig every night since I bought it a few month ago. This very last week I open the Lehmann just to put some tape on the blue led because I like to listen without any visible light and I was amazed just to see the interior layout. The transformer is huge and you can see all those beautiful and high quality components.
You can turn the volume all the way up until your ears can resist and the sound never distort and keep the same quality... at very low volumes you still get the same details

I have all my CD ripped in Apple Lossless and stream them to the Lehmann using a Squeezebox Duet. For me ... a dream came true, every night I have all my audio collection in the palm of my hand and with the best quality. I have used the Lehmann as a pre-amp in a one time expeirence and it is also very good. My Stereo System is a Densen Beat 110 and a pair of Amphion speakers but the best way to immerse in my wonderful world of music is when I use the Lehmann and the Senn combo.... is really a match made in heaven.

On a sidenote I heard no diference between the music streamed to a Apple Airport Express and the Logitech Duet. Did you take noticce that Lehmann as also a Cube with a XLR imputs in the Pro section ?

Just buy the Lehmann and you will never regret ,,,,,obviously I have no connection with Lehmann and I even must said that I find it´s customer service not very friendly since I email them several times enquiring about the chance to buy a new case for the amp and never got an answer. But they produce what I consider my best audio gear.

Regards

Vasco Vaz

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 16
My HD800 and Lehmann Cube experience wasn't so great. Perhaps it was the CD player it was partnered with - a Denon. The presentation I felt lacked warmth and musicality. i.e. it was rather a sterile.

YMMV.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 16
In Europe you could try the SPL Phonitor/Auditor amps with the HD800, these combos are highly praised on head-fi and it's German made. For a dac you may try the TC Electronic BMC-2, if you read French, it's very appreciated on homecinema-fr, you can read the comments.

Otherwise the Lavry DA/10/11 DAC+Headamp combo is imported in is available in Germany for 1200€ (if you try the French importer it's 1500€ but you may negotiate, I think it's audioaddict.fr)

Purely based on comments, an Auditor/BMC-2 combo would amount to 900€ I think. It would have an uncoloured and neutral signature.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 16
I appreciate people taking the time to give feedback and pointers. Based on what I have heard so far I am still leaning towards the Lehman Audio. One other point I didn't mention is that since space is at such a premium, it is better for me to have a DAC/AMP combo.

Still hoping someone who has this or spent time with a Lehman Black CUbe USB will tell me what they think. Even better if you have the HD800

Thanks!
Shabta

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 16
[size=small]I own both. It’s a wonderful combination. I upgraded the Lehmann power cord (Kimber).[/size]

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 16
I haven't tried the HD800 with my black cube, but it handled everything else I threw at it without any problems. It is a wonderful amp. Unfortunately, it's not that popular outside the EU, so impressions are few. Nevertheless, I'm sure you will make no mistake in buying the BCL. I know I didn't, and am enjoying it immensely.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 16
I own the HD800/Lehmann combo (no USB though) and find it to be a wonderful combination. Of all my dynamic amps, the Lehmann and the Woo 2 are the most synergistic with the Senns. I don't think it's just by chance that Sennnheiser chose the Lehmann during the initial introduction of the HD800, rather a match made in heaven.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 16
I have the HD800/Lehmann BCL too, non-USB amp-only. I've had the Lehmann for more than three years.

It's a very good combo. Match it up with a good source and the sound quality will be competitive with a lot of other systems. One may not like the HD800, which is OK of course, but it is undeniably a high fidelity sound with excellent details, imaging and tonal accuracy.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 16
I have owned the BCL USB for some time now and really like it with all my headphones, including HD800. It's got a good grip on both the HD800 and my Edition 9. The HD650 sounded marvelous through it, I sold them after getting the HD800 (and not looking back!).

In a nutshell, the sound is of the amp section is very very natural. Detailed but smooth. Very dynamic too, it woke up my HD650. Soundstage is reasonably deep and wide. Bass does not go as low as the best amps out there (for example from comparison with some Rudistor amps with the Edition 9) but it's very tight and has good presence. I sold a Meier Audio Opera as I favored the sound of the BCL (more dynamic and more natural midrange).

As for the DAC section, it is so so IMO... I think you can do better with even cheap separate DAC. The amp scales well with better D/A though, I simply love the pairing with my Yamamoto D/A.

Comparing in the store, I consistently pick the Lehman, regardless of price. Only other solid state amp I would trade for the BCL is the Luxman P-1u. But frankly, the Lehman is not shy of stacking up against the best amps. It's not the last word in refinement, resolution, and extension, but it really puts a smile on your face when using Sennheiser or Ultrasone headphones (can't speak for other brands) because it is so dynamic and engaging while not sounding brittle, compressed or harsh at any time.

Finally, the small footprint and sober design is just very neat I feel. It's not pretentious and integrates well in the environment. Built quality is excellent and, although there are cheaper amps out there, I feel you get what you pay for. This amp is completely built in Germany, so it has a cost associated to it.

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to respond. I see that most of you went the separate DAC route. I am squeezed for space so I might not be able to do that. However, I might try to work it out. What is a good DAC for this amp that I can easily purchase in Europe (over the net) for 400 euro or less? And it must have usb or optical input. I live in a remote rural area, but I do get to Montpellier from time to time. Is there anyplace around there where I can listen to any of these components? Or I might be going to Germany, around Koln/Dusseldorf soon.

Thanks!
Shabta

Feb 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 16
In this price range and considering you are in Europe I have to say the usual suspects are Musical Fidelity V-Dac and Cambridge Audio DacMagic. I had V-DAC, which is very nice for the price, nice midrange and highs, pacing could be a bit better, but it didn't bother me much.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shabta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that most of you went the separate DAC route.

We didn't have a choice, the USB model wasn't available back then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Even so, I would still choose the amp-only model and use an external DAC, something at least around the Lavry DA10 sound quality level.

I haven't heard the Lehmann with built-in USB DAC. Assuming it is roughly similar to a Meier Symphony or Opera's USB DAC, or maybe even a HeadAmp Pico with DAC, it should be OK and serve well as a minimalistic-type system.

But this is the HD800, and I think it should be matched with as good a source as possible. If you're going to use an HD650, the amp+USB DAC might serve well enough. The HD800 is more sensitive and revealing, though. I wouldn't want to use a Corda Symphony or Opera USB as source with an HD800, but that's me.

If budget is an issue, and it almost always is, I suggest either getting a less expensive amp and add a source, or saving up for a source upgrade in the near future. One might very well be satisfied with the Lehmann BCL amp+USB DAC, and again I haven't heard it, but I'm pretty sure that you'll want a "better" source to use with the HD800 and Lehmann BCL (or another amp).

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #14 of 16
Elephas, thanks for the warning. I am struggling with space. But I am measuring and seeing what might work. Apparently you don't think the dacmagic will be a good enough source either? It has the advantage for me of being able to stand on its end. But let's put space aside for a minute. What about the Audio-gd dac-19 dsp 1? Is there anything else that isn't 1000+ euro where you think I will be happy for a few years?

-shabta

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 16
I haven't heard a Dacmagic or an Audio-gd source.

You have to decide for yourself what source is suitable enough for you. It could even be the built-in USB DAC, and I'll think you're lucky and be envious.
wink.gif
I don't think that spending 1000+ euro is absolutely necessary; there could very well be several units below that price that you can be happy with.

I mentioned the Lavry DA10 as a kind of benchmark
smily_headphones1.gif
sound quality, not as a minimum price. Do I think more expensive sources sound better in general? Sure, but the trick is to find and get by with the least expensive one that suits your needs, whether sound, features, size or other factors.

I'm just saying that if you're spending HD800 plus Lehmann BCL-USB money, you might reconsider the budget allocation and maybe put a little bit more toward the source now or plan on saving up for an upgrade later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back