Anyone own both the AKG501 and the Senn HD650?
Jul 4, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 6
I've owned both but not simultaneously. The akg501's were sent back within a couple of weeks because I felt they sounded "thin". I found them to be one of my least favorite headphones. At the time I had a pair of hd600s and didn't find what I needed in those either. Now I've been settled in with my hd650/zu mobius/pre-head combo for some time and they're still keeping me off the streets and out of trouble. I've been without the usual upgrade restlessness for a long time and pretty pleased with what I've got. Then again a source upgrade might be nice...
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm ordering both of them in the next couple of weeks. I'm currently arm wrestling with my wallet and can't break it down. I'm thinking of shouting out 'hey, check out that gangster roll sitting on the table', and beat when he looks over.
'Heh, and you'd think i'd fall for that?"
'Shut up wallet, you're making us look weird'.

Sorry about that. As I said, i'll be ordering them pretty soon and will post an update. In any case my impressions without having listened to either is that the 650s are a better all-around pair, while the 501s will shine for specific styles/recordings; mainly those focused on midrange sounds like acoustic music.

If you do a search for 501s you can find a lot of comparissons. The main complaint is it's weak bass, though some 501 lovers state that with the a good amp, they show tight and accurate bass, even if it isn't insanely deep.

The only experienced I've had with 501s is their comfort, which is superb (tried them on at a shop). The senns look very comfy too, once the clamp is gone, though 501s look like they keep cooler (temperature wise).

Jul 4, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 6
I have both the HD600 and the K501s, I find that the bass of the HD600s is clearly better, and the midrange of the K501s is slightly better, although they are very similar in their relaxed presentation and frequency response. Regarding comfort, the HD600 has more comfortable earpads as they are softer, but the k501s run through a single cable which is less obtrusive. Visually I like the old school greenish color, leather band and rounded earpads of the K501s more than the marbled plastic, cloth covered foam and ovalesque earpads of the HD600s. I'd say the k501 is definently a better value than the HD600 at half the price ($125 vs. $240), although when it comes to sound quality the HD600s are preferrable, but not substantially.

Jul 4, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 6
I have both the 650s and 501s. Here are my general comments. The 650s have more extended bass. They have a richer, fuller sound. The AKG 501s have a cleaner, more forward sounding midrange, and wider soundstage. As for comfort, the nod goes to the 501s, which have less clamping force. Despite the velour pads of the 650s being softer, I find the 501s to be among the most comfortable headphones that I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back