Anyone out there using studio monitors as desktop speakers?
Sep 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #16 of 18
I have a pair of shiny KRK Rokit 8's sitting on my desk.
I use them for both music production & listening to music too! (More the latter)
Apart from a good pair of headphones, I think the next best thing is monitors, so crisp.

..Speaking of which.. My 'studio' is my room. And my friend came over the other day and guess what he did?

"Hey nice speakz man!" Said friend while reaching over and poking at the drivers. WWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFF.
I was enraged. Well on the inside, although I did tell him off.

I now need some much needed reassurance.
He didn't touch the tweeters, only the kevlar/rubber outer part of the drivers.
This wouldn't affect them in any negative way would it? :frowning2:

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:
I read that article on Soundonsound. Very interesting!
I can see what you mean now. I was just comfused by your first post because from my understanding, sound characteristics are solely dependent upon the way the speaker is built and I can see now that actives are obviously built different than passives. Not sure why that didn't come to me earlier :p
BTW, what actives do you use?

Now I'm not using actives in my setup right now, rather I'm using powered monitors from Edifier(R2000T) and passive NAD speakers till I save for a ADAM monitor. I do have some experience with studio setups(heard them) though since I have friends in the line(not myself). Planning to spring for either Yamahas or ADAMs when I have some dough.

Driver displacement at low frequencies can be pretty drastic, its a non issue if your friend touches. my kevlar woofer got wiped with cloth once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back