Anyone make their own energy drinks?
Jul 8, 2008 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm kind of tired of my daily coffee habit, so I've been thinking about brewing some kind of energy drink. It's fairly easy to get pure powdered caffeine and guarana at health food stores, and I can probably powder some ginseng on my own. Any suggestions on recipes?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to convert powdered caffeine into a freebase form the same way people cook up crack? It'd be interesting to try smoking caffeine rocks in the morning instead of drinking coffee.

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of tired of my daily coffee habit, so I've been thinking about brewing some kind of energy drink. It's fairly easy to get pure powdered caffeine and guarana at health food stores, and I can probably powder some ginseng on my own. Any suggestions on recipes?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to convert powdered caffeine into a freebase form the same way people cook up crack? It'd be interesting to try smoking caffeine rocks in the morning instead of drinking coffee.

With regard to the first paragraph: you have sufficiently intrigued me enough, such that I will try this tomorrow.

With regard to the second paragraph: it is evident you have enough rocks to smoke already
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 41
I used to start my day with a tablespoon of roasted guarana powder, followed by a quick chaser. It was like eating instant coffee. Guarana is my drug of choice, after epinephrine.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Laz

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 41
hahaha, caffeine rocks! I'm gonna make some of that sh*&!

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rocks in your head? :wink:
Stick to zero-carb Rockstar. You will get a nice six-pac going for the ladies. And you will skip one visit to the emergency room.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 41
Yes, I brew my own coffee every day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I brew my own coffee every day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah honestly what's wrong with coffee?

I'm a simple man. Red Bull for when I need to stay awake, and coffee to wake me up in the morning.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a simple man. Red Bull for when I need to stay awake, and coffee to wake me up in the morning.

Nothing at all!
I need coffee to get me started in the morning...

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing at all!
I need to coffee to get me started in the morning...

Second that! Mmmm... coffee ....

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Problems with coffee:
  1. stains your teeth (not as bad as tea, granted)
  2. the acid is rough on your teeth
  3. it takes forever to finish a cup of coffee when you're in a hurry
  4. hot coffee is not that great on hot summer days
  5. I've drank so much of it over the years that it's just gotten old
  6. It takes a lot of coffee in the morning to get me going

I'm not really interested in the commercial energy drinks because a lot of them are full of sugar with relatively small amounts of caffeine and other energy chemicals. Full Throttle for example only has the equivalent of 1.5 cups of coffee of caffeine, which is silly for the amount of sugar. A lot of the sugarless ones use large amounts of aspartame, which is prone to giving me headaches in large enough quantities. Also saccharin seems to be making a comeback which is unfortunate too. And they're expensive for a product I don't really want.

If I brew my own, I get to mix up exactly what I want. I can use xylitol or a reasonable amount of actual sugar as a sweetener, or go entirely sweetener-less.

As for the freebase caffeine question, I can't believe no one has tried making freebase caffeine to smoke. There are a decent number of chemistry students on here, any suggestions? Would you add baking soda the way they cook up crack, or would you need to add something else?

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to start my day with a tablespoon of roasted guarana powder, followed by a quick chaser. It was like eating instant coffee.

Nice. I'm going to try this. What does guarana powder go well with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back