Anyone lose control of their car.
Dec 17, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #77 of 79
Dec 17, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #78 of 79
There are two underlying problems here:

1. Most people don't know what happens to their vehicle when it reaches its performance limits.

2. Most people don't know what the performance limits of their vehicle actually are.

If you know your limits you can keep within your safe zone. The challenge is that even within 1 vehicle limits change based on conditions. Most people drive within the safe zone so its never really an issue but there will be that one time when conditions have changed, even just marginally, and the performance limit is reached and having never been there they don't know what to do and panic and poor judgement sets in.

When I started driving, I remember hitting the dirt roads, empty parking lots, icy parking lots, wet parking lots, whatever and just going all out. I remember doing donuts and figure eights and just trying to burn as much as rubber as I could. This is where I learned about limits and counter steering and maintaining control. This doesn't happen any more.

And you really need to know your car. As an example, right now I am driving a Mustang GT. If I take a turn a bit too fast and understeer a bit I know that stepping on the gas will fix that. This seems to be counter intuitive but it works.

As far as FWD vs RWD, I learned on RWD and moved to FWD when the industry changed and hated it. I am back on RWD and I honestly feel that I have significantly more control with a RWD than I do with FWD. This includes driving in some pretty harsh winters. But then I know my limits.

Darcy

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #79 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet that was scary.

You bet!
Had to stop to calm down, cause I was really shaken. I will be more careful next time it rains heavily...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back