Anyone listen to open headphones in public?
Feb 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 26
I find it difficult to near impossible to listen to music on my HD598s out in public. It's even more difficult with my Grados.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 26
I never take my headphones outside, not only because I would look silly but also because all of them are open. I know how annoyed I get when someone is listening to open headphones on the bus so I don't want to be that guy.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 26
Heya,

I've done it a few times driving alone. But ultimately it's annoying. The environmental noise just ruins the experience and drowns what you're trying to listen to.

Sometimes even having open-air at home is annoying, just hearing house noise even.

I just really enjoy isolation simply because I like to only hear what is coming from the headphone and not from everything else.

Very best,

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 26
If I am walking down the street in town,  I always use open 'phones.....I've used PX100's, PortaPros, KSC75's, and ATH-P5's for this. I'd like to hear the oncoming traffic, you know?
I also wear them in the grocery store, so i can pause the music and talk with the cashier.

If I was riding a subway or train, I'm sure I would not use open headphones though.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 26
I enjoy Grado SR-80s everywhere except on an airplane. Subways included.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #9 of 26
I occasionally use my DT-880 Pro in public. Although not fully open (semi-open), it does let in and out a fair amount of sound. I usually don't care what other think because most of them actually ignores me.
In public transport such as in the bus or the subway, I turn the dial on my Fiio to a moderate level so that I can hear it but not so much for the other person to notice.
Never tried in an airplane though but I have my Shure SE425 if I really need to block a lot of sound.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 26
I don't even used closed in public, I always use in ears, it is more low profile.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
I don't even used closed in public, I always use in ears, it is more low profile.

I agree, I don't like using any big kind of headphones in public, I'll listen to my M50's in school during studyhalls, but other than that, I don't like it because it just looks out of the ordinary. In-Ear's are just more casual and like @KimChee said, low profile.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 26
No, because I try not to annoy my neighbors...

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 26
I wear my porta pros in the public all the time.  And when i set them at my normal(high) listening level and put them down and walk away, i can barely hear them at 5 feet away.

But honestly if you're wearing properly designed open headphones and someone 5 feet away can hear your music in a normal noise level environment i think you may have the volume too high.. either that or I'm REALLY light of hearing

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #15 of 26
i blast my sr60s when i walk outside and when i'm on the subway or bus i turn it down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back