Anyone know where I can find the post for making your own foam tips?
Oct 28, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Remedial

100+ Head-Fier
There was a tutorial on here a while back where someone give you step by step instructions on how to create your own foam tips using either the tubes from the Shure E4C yellow foam tips (or other commercial tubing) and ear plugs.

I tried searching, but no dice.

Also, this tut had pics. Let me know, please. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't know about the tutorial, but I have tried making my own with tubing from used Comply's and Shure's, and earplugs (two kinds - for construction, and for airplace travel).

The construction kind seemed to have the same type material as the Shure yellow foams, maybe a little denser.
And the airplane plugs was a similar material to the Comply, but again, seemed denser and softer.

First thing I noticed was it was hard to cut a hole in the foam. But i did eventually manage to get a hole big enough to get the tubing in. I used brush-on krazy glue to secure the foam to the tube.

The second thing I noticed was that the airplane plugs muffled the highs quite a bit. The construction plugs seemed to work ok.

So I think you have to be careful which kind of foam you're working with.

Ultimately, I just didn't think the time and energy put into making a pair was worth it. The real ones sell for pretty cheap as it is. Though it was fun tinkering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back