Anyone know the release date for the nwavguy ODA
Jul 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DiscoBurger

100+ Head-Fier
I was so tempted into getting the nwavguy O2 amp but because I was only going to use it as a desktop amp I have opted to wait for the ODA...but does anyone know when it will be released? 

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm not sure NwAvGuy has a date set for the ODA, I think he still has some work to do on it and has been busy with real life stuff. If you trust him though I would avoid the Schiit Asgard due to this though: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 14
I'm not sure NwWavGuy has a date set for the ODA, I think he still has some work to do on it and has been busy with real life stuff. If you trust him though I would avoid the Schiit Asgard due to this though: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

I wouldn't post things discrediting amps when you don't know the whole story. Relays were put into the Asgard a long time ago, there is also one in the Lyr. I have personally talked to Jason about this.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 14
Hey all,

As kskwerl already mentioned, the design of the Asgard was changed a year ago to add an output muting relay with delayed turn-on and fast turn-off. In addition, all Asgard owners were offered the option of having the relay retrofitted into their products at no charge.

We fully understand the need for the convenience of a relay mute now, and have built relevant protection into all of our amps. For example, with Mjolnir, the chance that someone would try to adapt single-ended headphones into its balanced outputs was high enough (despite the full page warning in the owner's manual) that we built what's arguably one of the most sophisticated protection systems in any headphone amp: it constantly monitors DC level and current output, and mutes the output if any of the parameters are exceeded. This is in addition to the standard time-delay start-up and fast mute on shutdown.

Bottom line, if you like our stuff, that's great. If you like another amp or DAC, that's great too. Just wanted to clear up that one point. Now, I'll return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 14
I would wait for nwavguy's amp. Even though his posts are arrogant, he is always technically correct from what I have read of his. Yes the Asgard has been fixed, but the O2 is a technically superior amp - and it's cheaper. But hey, I have an Asgard and I am happy with it because it looks nice and clean, and it has a slight warm sound, and provides lots of power. The O2 however is cheaper, better, and more discrete.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 14
I too am very interested in the ODA.

I just ordered an O2 from JDS labs and it should arrive in a few days. I emailed JDS about a few modifications to the O2/ODAC and they told me it was possible for a price. What I later found out was that almost everything I was asking for will be addressed in the ODA.

I know "he who shall not be named" does all of the design for free, so I don't think it's fair to rush him, but I would love to know the ETA!

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 14
His blog hasn't been active in a while, so at this time I think it might be a better bet for one to look for custom desktop friendly configuration of the O2 built by a proficient DIY builder. I just received a custom made O2 by another DIY user here (http://www.head-fi.org/t/628384/o2-objective2-trans-portable), and the unit has the 1/4 jack and the RCA jacks in the back... for all intents and purposes designed for strictly desktop use.  Even when (if?) the actual desktop version surfaces you're likely not going to get much, or any sonic differences (that'd actually go against nwavguy's initial goals) and most of the differences will likely be mostly usability related like the unit I just received. Perhaps there will be other upgrades as well such as better gain options or a built in power supply, but it's for you to decide whether those things will be worth the wait.

The unit sounds fantastic BTW. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Considering his blog has been completely inactive since May of 2012, and it is now August of 2013, we may never see the ODA come to fruition, at least by his own doing. Someone may have to pick up where he left off. Some have already implemented some of his planned changes into custom O2 designs. The main changes he outlined for the ODA were:

1. 1/4 inch headphone output
  2. Rearward RCA and power connection
  3. Preamp output
  4. More gain settings
  5. Improved Power Supply
  6. Headphone protection relay

As you can see most of these are related to usability. I also find it interesting to see he criticized Shiit Audio for not using a relay on the original Asgard, yet he failed to implement one on the Objective 2 design.

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Hey all,

As kskwerl already mentioned, the design of the Asgard was changed a year ago to add an output muting relay with delayed turn-on and fast turn-off. In addition, all Asgard owners were offered the option of having the relay retrofitted into their products at no charge.

We fully understand the need for the convenience of a relay mute now, and have built relevant protection into all of our amps. For example, with Mjolnir, the chance that someone would try to adapt single-ended headphones into its balanced outputs was high enough (despite the full page warning in the owner's manual) that we built what's arguably one of the most sophisticated protection systems in any headphone amp: it constantly monitors DC level and current output, and mutes the output if any of the parameters are exceeded. This is in addition to the standard time-delay start-up and fast mute on shutdown.

Bottom line, if you like our stuff, that's great. If you like another amp or DAC, that's great too. Just wanted to clear up that one point. Now, I'll return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

All the best,
Jason

No man, its pretty clear your companies intentions were insidious from the start and everything that's happened since is part of a big cover up and a larger conspiracy.  It sickens me that altruistic artistes like nwavguy languish away in obscurity (at least until Schiit has them eliminated) while Jason gets to frolic around with his jokes and novels and best hair in the industry (well, tied with Donald North.)  I've pondered why bad things happen to good people but much as I try, my magic Dscope won't provide an answer.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
No man, its pretty clear your companies intentions were insidious from the start and everything that's happened since is part of a big cover up and a larger conspiracy.  It sickens me that altruistic artistes like nwavguy languish away in obscurity (at least until Schiit has them eliminated) while Jason gets to frolic around with his jokes and novels and best hair in the industry (well, tied with Donald North.)  I've pondered why bad things happen to good people but much as I try, my magic Dscope won't provide an answer.

It wasn't my intention to stir up an old feud. I respect Nwavguy for his contributions, and it's unfortunate what transpired. But I also respect people like Jason who are behind a small company that makes competitive products in the USA. I am all for small companies being promoted by community web sites like this. It's a great way for the little guys to try and compete with the giant's out there. If the products aren't good, he won't be in business for long, with or without head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back