Anyone know of DIY "foreplay" tube preamp?
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jujulio

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, i am new to this, i already have my HD 650 and an old marantz receiver (2225l); i don't have my zero DAC (gonna do the franken mod) yet, neither my future ss amp (graham slee novo or gd-audio C2C i think)...and i am already planning ahead to get a tube preamp
biggrin.gif
...I found this DIY
http://www.sdinfo.com/volume_5_4/99$preamplifier.html
Did anyone try this? I really want a cheap solution but effective nonetheless, therefore the DIY...

PS: given this "future setup" would you say i would get to the level where stock cable swapping might be useful for my senn? From what i read the silver dragon might be the thing for me.

thanks

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Prices went up, you found an old page. If you're amenable to sourcing your own parts and building or repurposing a case, you can pull off a quality preamp for $200-$300. Another kit that might interest you is Bruce Rozenblit's Grounded Grid Preamp that can be found at his Transcendent Audio site. It's also $500. You can go the used route, too. Older Conrad-Johnson preamps sell between $300-$400. Admittedly, I've got a Conrad-Johnson PV-2 in the FS Forum right now. That aside, you can find others at eBay and Audiogon at good prices. I love it, but I use the Zana and Yph phono stage these days, so the PV-2 has been gathering dust.

Don't worry about the cables, invest in quality gear first. I put a Blue Dragon on my HD-650; I don't hear any difference. It is a nice cable, but it is more like fancy jewelry than something that changes the sound. My opinion, of course.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks Erik, i will have to wait anyway regarding my finances ^^ But i was thinking of feeding a bit my hd 650 with tube rather than only SS, since so many report this combination as audiogasmic for thi headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back