Anyone know Einsturzende Neubauten?
Apr 6, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 8
Link to Geeta Dayal's review of their new record, Perpetuum Mobile. And for those of you who may have it stashed somewhere, The Primer on Einsturzende Neubauten appears on The Wire Issue 194, April 2000.

My recommendations to stuartr as he heads out to pick up a Neubauten cd, presumably his first: From the early chaotic days, Drawings of Patient O.T. (1983) and Halber Mensch (1985). From the current catalogue, Silence Is Sexy (2000), which I consider brilliant and impossible to imagine without the trail of fire that leads up to it. Or you can always choose to test your gear with the Strategies Against Architecture comps (1984, 1991, 2001).

Finally, it would not be fair to Blixa if we didn't plug one record from the Bad Seeds catalogue. For me that has got to be Let Love In (1994).

Neubauten's new website is growing at www.neubauten.org.

cool.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 8
they're one of the all time most influential noise/industrial bands, as far as i can tell. i have one CD of theirs "drawings of patient O.T." which is quite interesting, but I must say that only a few songs really appeal to me. they have a large discography, and from what i've heard, a very varied one (that is, many stylistic shifts between albums), so i wouldn't take my word for it. check out the all music guide submission for them, it'll give you a better idea.

Apr 6, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
oosoo, what happened? I thought you couldn't post???

blink.gif

Goofed, check your e-mail. halber is right about the range of recordings, and I was trying to suggest records that are emblematic of the Neubauten sound then/now. Another personal favorite from the late period is Ende Neu (1996) which includes the processional "Stella Maris", Blixa's duet with fellow Berlin artist Meret Becker.

Apr 6, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 8
I've been a Neubauten fan in the 90's (now I'm more into jazz and classical). All their albums are full of discoveries.

I like their new concept of subscribers being able to participate in the making of their newest albums.

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 8
As a relative newcomer, I started with Silence is Sexy, and can't recomment it highly enough. Perpetuum Mobile is almost a continuation. It breaks no new ground, IMO, but is almost a continuation of Silence is Sexy. There is a delicated balance between beauty and chaos on these CD's. As one goes back earlier into their catalog, the balance shifts toward chaos. Halber Mensch is excellent, and I can also recommend Five on the Open-Ended Richter Scale (I'm not even going to try the title in German) as one that spent a lot of time in my player (the version of "Morning Dew" on it is just a tad different than the Grateful Dead used to do it...
tongue.gif
)

Apr 6, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I started with Silence is Sexy as well, and love it. I'm not quite as enthralled with Perpetuum Mobile, but in The Wire last month one of the members is quoted as saying that it's "the hiss of the fist traveling through the air; the next album will be the sound of its impact". So I'm already pretty stoked for their next one
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back