Anyone into Karaoke here?
Apr 12, 2003 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
hi..... my gf and all her asian friends are way into karaoke. they spent the night yesterday until 3:00 AM singing!

personally, i don't sing at all. but i like to run the studio while they are here. we can produce professional sounding CDs from their karaoke parties since the DVD player is hooked up into the studio system. the sound is superb.... not like those stupid karaoke boxes, or dvd players made specifically for karaoke..... no stupid echo sound or anything. high quality effects from a professional Lexicon unit. multitrack recording.... etc.

.....so, do non-asians like karaoke? perhaps i could have a bigger party here sometime for all you American Idols.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 19
One time when we were driving back from our camping trip at night (2:00am) we were all tired and they had to keep their driver up (me) so we all started jamming in the car with Bob Marley on.
smily_headphones1.gif
One of my friend is African American (looks nothing like black, so we all call him whitey
wink.gif
) and he was singing with us too and we recorded ourselves with cell phones. It was a hell of performance.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 19
Whoa.. weird. A friend of mine IM'd me this morning at 11:41AM (like.. two minutes before your post..
smily_headphones1.gif
)and said that he karaoke'd for three hours straight last night...

But that's beside the point. Him and his brother are white wannabe asians, who speak Japanese fluently, want asian girlfriends, and listen to jpop.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 19
Yellow fever huh? I know friends who are asian wanna be too and they love asian girls. Its weird how they see every asian girl as hottest girl on earth just because they are asian.

Apr 13, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 19
I wouldn't mind trying this someday... I just hope the audience is drunk enough not to care how bad I sound.

Apr 13, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 19
dhwilkin: Once you get started singing, it doesn't matter if you sound good or not. Hehe ... but the best thing about it is that if you can get everyone to sing, even if they all sound bad, everyone will enjoy themselves.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2003 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 19
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
KARAOKE
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
:

It may be fun for those singing, but trying going out to have a bar, only to have it ruined by some nitwit "singing" full blast into a karaoke machine - inevitably someone off tune, off key and off-tempo. Karaoke, the mere word sends shivers down my spine. Yes, three hours sounds about the right amount of time these people spend tortuing you. It never ends! Karaoke is like sex, you should only be allowed to do it in private!

Apr 13, 2003 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 19
Karaoke is kool. Went to a place in Japan. Small room with a machine and a few people. Singing not too bad, surprisingly.

Asian girls may be cute but my ex girlfriend is evil. She is now dating one of my best friends. Screw you!!!!

mad.gif

Yes, beware of the cute asian girls. They bite.

Apr 13, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Mookie
Once you get started singing, it doesn't matter if you sound good or not. Hehe ... but the best thing about it is that if you can get everyone to sing, even if they all sound bad, everyone will enjoy themselves.
biggrin.gif

Hehe... maybe that's why I never started singing last time I went
wink.gif
A group of my friends (and our dates) went to karaoke after prom... it wasn't pretty...
evil_smiley.gif
But we had a good time.. I think, not sure 'cause I fell asleep
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 19
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brings back bad memories. Superiors (and inferiors, or should I say "team members") with eyes closed, face in strained "I'm giving it my all" expression, indifferent food, beautiful but rather pathetic Polish and Russian women, outwardly cute and inwardly ravening Japanese women contrasted with curiously nice 'mamas' and $200 bottles of whisky...

But, thinking back further to about 12 years ago (when I was reasonably young
frown.gif
), there was a great night. 7 of us, a mix of English, American, Japanese of course and Singaporean, going to a very casual Karaoke club and having a blast. However I've had too many experiences of the former.

Apr 14, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 19
I had my first participatory karaoke experience three nights ago at a party thrown by a video editing studio in NYC. One of the smaller rooms (not the main party space) had a professional karaoke set-up with a dj, etc. I opened with a rousing "Radar Love" and encored with a searing (and voice-shredding) "Space Trucking" by Deep Purple. (Unfortunately, "The Revealing Science of God" by Yes was not in the little book of tunes.) It was a blast, altho the highlight was probably my friend duetting with a guy dressed as old, bloated rhinestone Elvis on Neil Diamond's "Hello."

It can be a lotta fun; don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 19
I've been thinking about taking my best Louis Armstrong to the stage, but it kills my throat after about 3 verses. I'm not so sure it's even singing as such - more like forcing air through a vibrating throat - but it sure does sound like the real thing if I don't say so myself. BTW, it sounds nothing at all like my real voice and I can't otherwise sing to save my life.

Apr 14, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 19
bloody awful invention and a form of slow torture if you find yourself in a pub with some fat drunken slob singing "I did it my way"

Must confess I prefer a few gallons of real ale in a quiet country pub myself. Karaoke is just like people sticking their arses out of car windows and is a form of blatant exhibitionism.

Ban it!

Pinkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back