Anyone Into Country?
Oct 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #31 of 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
I'm afraid classic country isn't going to be around too much longer.

I think you're essentially right with that statement.  The genre itself is leading its way towards the Americana sound.  I've been into The Avett Brothers, John Hiatt and others lately.  John Hiatt has so many albums out - yet, many of them are quite excellent.  When I'm in the mood, I love to put on some Johnny Cash.  Even Johnny's cover songs that he performed towards the end of his life are quite good to listen to.

Country is a strange genre, never been a huge fan per se but it's one of the ingredients in stuff I love like the Rolling Stones, the Allman Brothers, or acoustic Neil. I like the Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons too. Also artists like Jimmy Lafave, Greg Brown and Lyle Lovett. I've been enjoying The Harrow and The Harvest by Gillian Welch, who can sing like a bird. Love the old outlaw sort of country stars like Johnny, Waylon, Willie, and their running buddy Kris Kristofferson.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #32 of 43
I've been listening to a lot of country for the last year or so. Here are some of my favorite albums:

Billy Joe Shaver - Tramp on Your Street
All Steve Earle albums up to and including Transcendental Blues
Emmylou Harris - Quarter Moon in a Ten Cent Town
Slaid Cleaves - Broke Down
Gram Parsons - The GP/Grevious Angel twofer
Every Gillian Welch album
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
John Prine - S/T and The Missing Years
Guy Clark - Boats to Build
Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Ween -  12 Golden Country Greats
Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
Hank Williams - 40 Greatest Hits
Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter

Those should keep anyone looking for some good country busy for a while.

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #33 of 43

Quote:
I've been listening to a lot of country for the last year or so. Here are some of my favorite albums:

Thanks Radioking. I'm going to check some of those out. I just picked up my first Gillian Welch CD, The Harrow and The Harvest and really enjoy it.I've only got one Steve Earle CD but that's the sort of country that works for me. Picked up a Ryan Bingham CD, Mescalito a few months back, very similar to Earle. A couple of more that may not exactly be country, but are more country bluesy are Chris Whitley and JJ Cale.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #34 of 43
Karen Dalton. Doesn't get love in birthplace of Enid, OK. I like her, anyhow.  "Katie Cruel" is something. Enid needs to get a sign or plaque or something. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #35 of 43

Quote:

Since you mentioned one of my favorites, let me add the "Conmemorativo - A Tribute To Gram Parsons" album.  A terrific play.  

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #36 of 43
A few more albums I've stumbled across in the last few months:

Mickey Newbury - An American Trilogy (This one I can't recommend enough. 3 albums and a rarities disc for around $30. Go buy it now!)
Waylon Jennings - The Taker/Tulsa & Honky Tonk Heroes MFSL twofer (If you can find it)
Waylon - Dreaming My Dreams
Billy Joe Shaver - Restless Wind (A greatest hits compilation OOP now unfortunately)
Billy Joe Shaver - Electric Shaver
Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, & Linda Ronstadt - Trio
Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother the Mountain
John Prine - Aimless Love (MFSL if you can find it)

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #37 of 43
I love country and bluegrass on my HD-600s.  I'm into a variety of stuff like AK/US, Sara Evans, Nickel Creek, Ricky Skaggs, Bela Fleck, New Grass Revival, Kathy Mattea, Susan Ashton, Johnny Cash, Wailin' Jennys, Jessi Colter, Hellecasters, Trisha Yearwood, Shania Twain and others.  I suppose I have more of a predilection for modern and poppier stuff.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #38 of 43

Quote:
 I just picked up my first Gillian Welch CD, The Harrow and The Harvest and really enjoy it.

KJ - check out Gillian Welch's debut "Revival" -- amazing album and what a voice!

I got into alt-country in the late 90's and were so many good bands especially on Bloodshot Records like The Old 97s, Robbie Fulks, and Neko Case.

2 desert island CDs IMHO: Whiskeytown's "Stranger's Almanac" and Scud Mountain Boy's "Massachusetts"

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #39 of 43

Quote:
KJ - check out Gillian Welch's debut "Revival" -- amazing album and what a voice!

Revival is my favorite GW album too. I'm still upset that I missed her last tour, but there was another concert I couldn't miss the same night. There are some soundboard recordings floating around that sound awesome. I recommend hunting those down.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #42 of 43
I saw Dolly Parton live at the Greek Theater, and the second she hit the stage, I couldn't believe her voice was real. I don't care for the pop numbers, but she has the best voice in country. Her country stuff is best, even if it's recent. She is the real deal.

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #43 of 43

Quote:
I saw Dolly Parton live at the Greek Theater, and the second she hit the stage, I couldn't believe her voice was real. I don't care for the pop numbers, but she has the best voice in country. Her country stuff is best, even if it's recent. She is the real deal.

Yeah, you're right, her country is the best and even the stuff since the early 90s is good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back