Anyone into Art-Fi?
Nov 28, 2006 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
Yes I know, "art" is a very broad statement, but what I mean is does anyone else here make art? I'd love to see people's creations, i.e. paintings, drawings, sculptures, etc.

I myself like sculpture as a hobby. I work with stone, and have worked with alabaster, soapstone, granite, and marble. Unfortunately I don't have any of the sculptures I made in high school (left them in school), nor any pictures. However, I just recently completed a small sculpture. It's hard to see in the pictures, but it's a heart that goes through a 360 degree twist. I meant to make a Mobius strip but I sort of forgot there's only a half twist, so oh well. From start (20 lb piece of alabaster) to finish (including sanding up to 1500 grit sandpaper and finishing with clear wax) I think it took somewhere around 12 - 15 hours. I made it over the course of a week. Also, that brown area is where I screwed up: alabaster bruises if you're too rough with a chisel.

Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures. Unfortunately I already gave the sculpture to my girlfriend, but I'll try to take some better pictures soon.

HalloweenSculpture013.jpg

HalloweenSculpture014.jpg

HalloweenSculpture011.jpg

HalloweenSculpture012.jpg

So, I'd love to see everyone's creations! Also, please no photography; yeah, it's art, but there are already threads for that.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HalloweenSculpture013.jpg

Looks awesome, I actually like the discolorations, gives it a bit more character. I like to see where the artist leaves imperfections, intentional or otherwise, whatever they might be.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks good, but seriously art-fi?? can't you just call it art like everyone else? must every thing on this forum be finished with a -fi?! /off rant

It must end with "-fi", or it cannot be an official thread here.
evil_smiley.gif

Does Art count for "Art-fi" if you are paid to do it?
wink.gif

-Ed

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 19
I've got all kinds of artsy stuff that I've been doing over the years.
Here is an example that I happen to have handy.

-one of my doodles on those note pads they give out at long boring company meetings:
105743136-O.jpg

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Art count for "Art-fi" if you are paid to do it?
wink.gif

-Ed

Definitely not!
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 19
I'm big into art. Which is good, because I'm going to get an MFA in it in the next few years.

Here's a model I did a little while ago of my phone. Untextured.

267898010_1e934b6ce9_o.jpg

267898006_db221c055a_o.jpg

Here's the back of my hand, textured with a twist.

287066544_6c3a320e12.jpg

Here's a model I'm working on in CG right now.

298448490_ae3c85fc5e.jpg

302638066_b8f92e2e8f_o.jpg

Haven't textured him yet, but I'm pretty pleased with how low-poly he is given how anatomically correct I managed to get it bone wise. You know, anatomically correct for a huge lizard dude with gigantic legs and fore-arms.

Here's a quick sketch of this character I'm planning on modeling next.

296154457_f664e4038d_b.jpg

Note his headgear.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Oh. OK then. I will not post any of my pics in this thread since I am disqualified for Art-fi.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Well I started the thread and I say post them anyway.
icon10.gif
Who cares if you're payed to do it? Art is art. A professional artist is still an artist.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Oh. OK then. I will not post any of my pics in this thread since I am disqualified for Art-fi.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

I wannna see your stuff, Ed. Post post post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back