Anyone interested in a Chicago (mini-)meet?
Jan 15, 2007 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

btb103

100+ Head-Fier
Well I just got my first hi-fi headphones (HD-555's) and would love to sample some other cans (thinking about getting another pair for portable use) and meet some other Head-Fi'ers... seeing as no one I know really "gets it" (I don't meet many people geekier than me but it seems like most of you are, where are you hiding?!)
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm more than willing to hold it at my apartment in Logan Square but it is home to three college students and thus isn't very well furnished and, even after we clean it, may not exactly suit the tastes of some
tongue.gif
. I also only have my 555's so no fancy source equipment besides my computer, sweet as it is (I'm a gamer hehehe)

If anyone else is willing to host just shout it out, let's see if we can drum up some interest. According to my search the last meet was held in September so surely all the Chicagoans are looking for a chance to get together again!

Brad
cool.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 74
Hi,

I would be interested. I was trying to put one together in November but then finals cought up with me and it never happened (im a student too). I live at a frat house, but we're actually very clean. We have a housewide cleanup early in the morning on Saturdays, so maybe Saturday early afternoon would work. I'm right off of the Green Line on the IIT stop (thats where I go).

I have a Benchmark DAC1, no really interesting cans right now but I do have a pair of Mackie HR824s if you are interested in hearing some speakers. A house mate of mine also has a pair of pretty nice Beyerdynamics headphones(forgot the model right now sorry).

Jan 31, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 74
Hey,
I'd definitely be down for a mini-meet. I go to University of Chicago but I have a car so I can get anywhere in the Chicago area. I have HD600s, a pair of Grado RS-1s, a Woo3, a UA-EX usb to optical, and a MHDT Pardisea DAC.

I have a pretty standard size two bedroom apartment that would probably be fine for up to 8-10 people and their gear.

I have yet to be to a head-fi meet, and only one of my other buddy's from home is into this stuff, so usually I just have to buy stuff based on reviews without actual listening time. I'd love to hear some new stuff.

Daru

Feb 1, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 74
I'm go for one, too........I would consider hosting a small group in our home theater room, which could accommodate about 10 or so for something like this. I'd even supply food. See my profile for my gear listing.

We live about 35 mi SE of the Loop, and if you don't have access to a car, maybe some of us who are down this way could pick you up at the Metra station in Olympia Fields or the South Shore in East Chicago. If you do have a car, it usually takes only 45 minutes or so from the IIT area to our place on weekends.

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 74
I may be interested. I just got accepted into the Art Institute of Chicago and I want to see if I can plan a visit to the school. If we can get an estimated date for this meet I might be able to do both in one trip.

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 74
yeah someone set a date. I'm not leaving chicago anytime soon, so maybe someone with stricter time constraints wants to throw a date out. Or if people were ok with it being at sejarzo's place maybe he/she could set a date? I would be willing to drive a carpool from chicago to his/her place if that's the venue decided upon.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 74
I have three kids, one in college, one in HS, one in 2nd grade......and I work near Peoria during the week, so planning for weekends is sometimes not so easy. I'll have to clear up a few things with my wife and kids about activities in the next month or so that I've heard about but don't know exactly when they are scheduled. I do know that the weekend of February 24-25 is defintely out.......but would March 3 possibly work well? I can't say for sure, but I think that weekend would work for me.

Steve

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 74
Depending on the date, I might be able to make it. I've got exams and a trip out of the country coming up, but excepting those two, I'd definitely be up for a Head-fi meet up on a weekend.

I'm at the UofC as well, but no car. I'd happily pay for gas for a ride, if we both end up going, Silentpug.

Feb 5, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 74
I would be up to it too, let's get a date on the board and we can start planning

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 74
I would try to make it from Detroit...and maybe bring some others with. Let me know how it shapes up date-wise.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 74
Ok, well since no one has even suggested a date yet, I'll be the first.

My spring break is from April 6th through the 13th, so if we could get this meet sometime between those two days that would be perfect.

Let me know what you guys think.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 74
April 6th to 13th would work for me as well. Seems like a lot of interest so the farther ahead the better, so as to give people room to clear their schedules and whatnot. Weekend would obviously be best for me, so maybe the 6th or the 7th.

And sejarza's house sounds like it would be a good place, it wouldn't be hard to arrange carpools and other travel accomodations from the city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back