Anyone in the SF South Bay Area?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #47 of 126
It looks like there hasn't been much activity in the San Fransisco Bay area in a bit here, unless I didn't go far enough back in the list (in which case I apologize to the moderators in advance). I'm new to the Silicon Valley region and would love to meet any audiophiles in the area. (I'm also in need of an audio store if any are nearby, but that's a sidenote).
East Bay here Retired from custom AV business after 35 years in the Ventura County are and moved up here for a change.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #48 of 126
Have heard that complaint a lot. They seem to be fine with me, may be due to their recent demo fee policy but they advice only 30 mins demo time , $250 for 30 mins is quite a lot ! I did it once but not sure i will go back for additional auditions with that kind of a fee
I was in the Bay Area for 4 months due to the pandemic. I wanted to audition a pair of HD800S. I called Sennheiser because they have a showroom in San Francisco near Union Square, they told me to call Audio Vision since they are an authorized dealer for Sennheiser products. I called them and they wanted this ridiculous demo fee, so I just ordered a pair from Amazon with a 30-day return period. I will never set foot in that store again, nor will I ever purchase anything from them.

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #49 of 126
I was in the Bay Area for 4 months due to the pandemic. I wanted to audition a pair of HD800S. I called Sennheiser because they have a showroom in San Francisco near Union Square, they told me to call Audio Vision since they are an authorized dealer for Sennheiser products. I called them and they wanted this ridiculous demo fee, so I just ordered a pair from Amazon with a 30-day return period. I will never set foot in that store again, nor will I ever purchase anything from them.

If you are just demo'ing couple of HPs then just walk into Audio vision and as soon as you enter they have the HP demo rack, they wont typically mind ( i could be wrong but have seen walk ins for short few mins listen) but if you make it formal to audition a setup of DAC/Amp/bunch of HPs then they will charge

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #50 of 126
If you are just demo'ing couple of HPs then just walk into Audio vision and as soon as you enter they have the HP demo rack, they wont typically mind ( i could be wrong but have seen walk ins for short few mins listen) but if you make it formal to audition a setup of DAC/Amp/bunch of HPs then they will charge
Not for me. He was clear. $250 or nothing. So I opted for nothing. It was a bad decision because I did buy the pair I got from Amazon. If we weren't in a pandemic, the Sennheiser store would have let me audition them for free. But, they were closed due to Covid-19.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that people take advantage of these situations and that can cost them a lot of money. It's just not a great policy. When I was in Georgia, I went to Hifi Buys in Buckhead. They have an entire headphone set up with lots of high end headphones and amps and they encourage you to come in for a try of everything for free. That place was an audiophile's dream destination. I really like the owner there. When I do a full speaker system, I am going to have the do it.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #51 of 126
Not for me. He was clear. $250 or nothing. So I opted for nothing. It was a bad decision because I did buy the pair I got from Amazon. If we weren't in a pandemic, the Sennheiser store would have let me audition them for free. But, they were closed due to Covid-19.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that people take advantage of these situations and that can cost them a lot of money. It's just not a great policy. When I was in Georgia, I went to Hifi Buys in Buckhead. They have an entire headphone set up with lots of high end headphones and amps and they encourage you to come in for a try of everything for free. That place was an audiophile's dream destination. I really like the owner there. When I do a full speaker system, I am going to have the do it.

I was at Hifi Buys in Buckhead years ago and the guys there was fantastic! although I did not buy anything at the time I was nearby and stopped by since I was passing by. Maybe one day ill get a chance to visit Atlanta GA, had a great time and would def like to visit again in general

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #52 of 126
I'm new to the forum but came across this thread. I have a few headphones (Abyss 1266TC, Diana V2, Hifiman Arya, Sundara, Focal Radiance, Meze Classic 99) a few DAC's and Amps X1 Audio Sagra, Topping D90, Chord Hugo 2, Chord mojo and X1 Audio Formula S. I could bring some of it, if we do a get together.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #53 of 126
I'm new to the forum but came across this thread. I have a few headphones (Abyss 1266TC, Diana V2, Hifiman Arya, Sundara, Focal Radiance, Meze Classic 99) a few DAC's and Amps X1 Audio Sagra, Topping D90, Chord Hugo 2, Chord mojo and X1 Audio Formula S. I could bring some of it, if we do a get together.
plus 1 on @TDinCali 's comments. I split time between SF and Santa Barbara. Once I'm feeling a bit more COVID safe, I'd be happy to attend and contribute to a gathering. There is a lot to be said for an opportunity to try different headphone/amp/dac combinations.

Feb 22, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #54 of 126
plus 1 on @TDinCali 's comments. I split time between SF and Santa Barbara. Once I'm feeling a bit more COVID safe, I'd be happy to attend and contribute to a gathering. There is a lot to be said for an opportunity to try different headphone/amp/dac combinations.
East Bay here. I have a pair of the very rare unobtanium Stax SR-X MK3 Pro.
When we get vaccinated I would love to share them with others.

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #57 of 126
San Jose here, Been waiting to get to a meet to figure out the next headphone purchase and compare what's out there. Once everyone has gotten their shot, I'm down to meetup with enough of a heads up.

Audeze LCD-2C & Mobius , SR-60s, Sennheiser HD600s, HifiMan HE-400i (needs new pads soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back