Anyone here plays Magic The Gathering??
May 6, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #16 of 31
Oh man, don't even mention it...I take that game too seriously.

I've played competitively since 1995.

Type II, extended, and booster drafts...

I had a good relationship with the game (i.e. I won a lot) but I had to discontinue it out of consideration for other commitments (research and college). It doesn't help that I can't play the game "just for fun." You can obsess over your SB and matchups for hours...

May 6, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I used to when I was like 12 or 13. Haven't really played it since, even though my brother, who gets cards in bulk by getting them from used goods stores, wanted me to get back into playing. I'm now 21. and have devoted my time to a better hobby, IMO: Bit Char-G, and I am enjoying it quite a bit.

biggrin.gif
Abe

if you like bit char-g's, try hobby class rc's. Loads more fun and loads more you can do with them.

May 6, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
if you like bit char-g's, try hobby class rc's. Loads more fun and loads more you can do with them.

They are a hobby class R/C, and BitPimps(check out their site!) proved that awhile back. OMG, the things that you can do with a Bit are almost limitless.
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Force of Nature?

I used to have one of those, it costed me 8$ in perfect condition in wrapper. I also used to have a Lord Of The Pit, with the pit creature thing to regenerate it. It came in a deck I bought a long time ago, probably in 1997.

Late,
Abe

May 6, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro
We always called the prodigal sorcerer (i think?) 'binky'.

Weird, we called him Binky up here in Canada too... I wonder where that started?

May 6, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 31
I used to play Magic intensively but stopped once they banned almost every good magic card that was out there
mad.gif

The last expansion set I played was the Ice Age. I still have a lot of Type 1 cards here.

May 6, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 31
I didn't play for very long after Ice Age was out. My interest in card games simply died at that time, and I was even playing Wildstorms as well, and I thought it was a waste of my time after a while too.

biggrin.gif
Abe

May 6, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #22 of 31
type one? type two? what's happened since i left??!
blink.gif

fwiw, i left around when weatherlight was introduced.

i still have some icy manipulators (ice age), a baron sengir, some maros, an oath of druids, a goblin bomb, a relentless assault, some erhnam djinns, a wheel of fortune (2nd ed) and most of the dragons. are they still worth anything?

i used to play a pure black 'buried-alive' deck.

May 6, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Weird, we called him Binky up here in Canada too... I wonder where that started?

the prodigal sorceror... isn't that 'tim'? you called 'tim' 'binky'? now why would you do that? i wouldn't know, but i know where 'tim' comes from - monty python's holy grail - the merlin-like wizard casting harmless little fireballs all the time. when asked by king arthur's gang who he is, he answers, in a rather menacing way, accompanied by another fireball, "just call me... tim."

i actually started playing twice, but i think i'm over it now.

May 6, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 31
Oh crap, thats right it was Tim... who the hell is Binky?
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
They are a hobby class R/C, and BitPimps(check out their site!) proved that awhile back. OMG, the things that you can do with a Bit are almost limitless.

Good God; those people are insane. Replacing SMT resistors with MOSFETs... I ask you. Screw all these pansy electric ones, anyway. Nitro's where it's at. I'm looking to get into that soon's as I have some spare cash, on the order of $300 or so. 50+ MPH and as much customization as a full size car. Oh yes, did I mention you can actually see the parts without a microscope? 1/10 is so much nicer than 1/64...

Sorry to thread crap, anyway. On the subject of Magic, I never got into it. It looks like something I could very easily find myself in, and blowing a buttload of money on. I have friends who are into it, though, and quite enjoy it.

May 6, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
Good God; those people are insane. Replacing SMT resistors with MOSFETs... I ask you. Screw all these pansy electric ones, anyway. Nitro's where it's at. I'm looking to get into that soon's as I have some spare cash, on the order of $300 or so. 50+ MPH and as much customization as a full size car. Oh yes, did I mention you can actually see the parts without a microscope? 1/10 is so much nicer than 1/64...

Sorry to thread crap, anyway. On the subject of Magic, I never got into it. It looks like something I could very easily find myself in, and blowing a buttload of money on. I have friends who are into it, though, and quite enjoy it.

It's possible to play it both competitively and affordably.

That's what Apprentice is for.

May 6, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 31
Learned MTG with my 11 year old son during Legions and played Type 2 and Sealed Deck up to Darksteel. I played a ravager deck (arcbound ravager, disciple of the vault, etc.) in last years Northern California regionals and my son played ponza. We didn't win any prizes but had a super time.

Got too busy and didn't get the chance to play in the Kamigawa block. I am thinking of playing again next block.

Oh, we still have loads of cards on Magic Online -- I hope they are still there (haven't played in months). I even got a Royal Assassin avatar for playing in the 10th year anniversary paper tournament.

May 7, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich

Have you seen a hopped up 1:64 scale R/C in actual performance? You can pop wheelies when combining mosfets with multiple cells and in some case dual motors. When you increase scale/performance, these things go way faster than any larger R/C that doesn't cost $1000, IMO(Bit Char-G is its own type of R/C with its own benefits and negatives, and I'll leave it at that). Also, I've never needed a microscope to mess with my cars, just a good pair of hands and eyes. Since you like larger scale R/C's, BitPimps does have forums geared towards your type, so I'd say keep with them. I just don't care though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
It's possible to play it both competitively and affordably.

1:64 scale R/C is certainly the most affordable I've ever seen. I love it, it's either this or Kyosho Mini-Z's, but those are hella expensive in comarison.

5000smile.gif
Abe

May 7, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #30 of 31
I play with a couple of my friends usually, but i havent played in a while, dont know why. It really eats up time when we get going though, we just keep going, then when we are done playing, we trade, then play with the new cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back