anyone here into home theatre/systems?
Mar 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am bigger into home theater stuff than I am in headphones. I have the whole JBL Venue series and a very nice 12 inch Polk Audio sub. I don't like alot of bass, but nothing is better than alot of heavy hitting tight bass.

Very nice! I feel the same way you do about heavy hitting tight bass, not loose and bloated....that just cheapens the sounds to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love HT and always through the speakers. Not into "small" systems though.....I like lots of ooomph. Currently:

Onkyo TX-SR806
Bryston 4BSST (powers the front mains)
Energy Veritas 1.8 mains
Energy AC300 center
Energy RVSS dipole surrounds
SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer
PS3
XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
Oppo DV-980H upconverting DVD
Sony 60" SXRD

The low frequencies on that Ultra must be insane! I wish I had my own house so i can pump that beast. I'm getting a PB10 or 12 soon, don't know which yet. I guess it depends how long I want to stay in this apartment, lol. Very nice HT rig Hawk!!

My modest setup
- Yamaha RX-V661
- Definitive Technology Pro 800s all around
- Jamo 100 center (would like to replace)
- Technics SB-AS60 sub (PB10 or 12 soon)
- Samsung 46" LNS4695D
- Xbox (no hdmi) w/HD-DVD
- PS3

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 19
At night I (and the wife) watch TV with headphones so we don't wake the kids. We have Sennheiser RS-130s, wireless full sized hooked up to a JVC surround sound headphone amp, which IMO sounds awesome for TV and movies.

I currently don't have a surround system, but had a $6,000 system (Marantz receiver & M&K speakers) 10 years ago. I actually prefer my RS-130s with the surround sound, or my IE8s via computer and Dolby Headphone (from what I can remember). To me everything is much clearer than it was with my $5K system, but the experience is different from a space perspective.

A suggestion so you can continue to use your PFEs (and not disturb others if that may be an issue) is to get a JVC SU-DH1 and a bass shaker.

I bought the SU-DH1 (actually Victor brand) so I can plug it in to an AC adapter, as the cheaper ones don't have that capability. And you mount the bass shakers to your bed/chair/couch to give you the feel your IEMs can't.

I don't have the bass shakers yet, but I have felt them at a friends and they do really add to the experience, even with a good subwoofer!

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 19
I just had an eye opening experience. I was watching the "Why audio quality matters?" video on philocetes.org..

One of the points was how redbook CD was horrible and that SACD or Vinyl or Master tapes are much better. I always thought that that was just some Audiophile mumbo jumbo.

The video has some distinguished mixing, recording engineers and they talked about how 96KHz/24 bit was so much better than CD at 44.Khz/16 bit. So I though if the guys that live and breath pro audio are claiming it there must be something to it.

So HDtracks.com has 5 free tracks to try out 96/24bit FLAC out. I downloaded them and burnt them onto a DVD-video (it supports 96/24 bit PCM). If I stream the WAV files from iTunes over Airport express it downconverts to 44.1KHz 16 bit.

I compared the two sampling rates from the same source materials and I just feel decieved that CD was sold to us as the best sounding medium.

96/24 bit sounds so much better and lively ...CD sounds dead and cold. They claimed that CD was un-engaging and I thought to my self "nonsense". I was so wrong.

This is on my home stereo.

I highly recommend you give that a shot.

My Modest setup:
- Denon 3808CI
- Bryston 5BST front 3 channels.
- PMC GB1 Front
- PMC DB1C+ center
- B&W 603 S2 rears.
- Rythmik F12 sub.
- PS3, Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD
- Rotel 5 disc CD changer.
- Roku
- Tivo HD.
- JVC 720P 52" H-DILA RPTV.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveRite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The low frequencies on that Ultra must be insane! I wish I had my own house so i can pump that beast. I'm getting a PB10 or 12 soon, don't know which yet. I guess it depends how long I want to stay in this apartment, lol. Very nice HT rig Hawk!!

Yep....the output it's capable of can easily overwhelm a good sized room. I don't have it set maxed out.....I'm of the mind to buy something like a sub once so get more than what would be adequate so in the future if I end up in a larger space I should still have a sub up to the task. Guests in my home that get treated to a few demos are stunned at what it can do for the in home movie experience. The Ultra is an amazing sub and is also very musical so it's more than a one note belcher as far too many subs are these days.

I love my music too but due to space constaints my HT and 2 channel rig occupy the same room....hence why my Bryston powers the Veritas 1.8s and gets fed by the pre-outs of my Onkyo for the HT stuff. For my 2 channel rig I run an Esoteric P-10 transport feeding a Bryston BP25-DAC Preamp (with built in DAC) and that in turn feeds the XLR inputs of the Bryston 4BSST.

Thanks for the kudos on my rig....I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back