anyone here into home theatre/systems?
Mar 11, 2009 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

koven

15 Hz + 150 dB = poopy pants
I'm in the process of buying a budget stereo system (5.1 speakers/receiver) for my bedroom...

I could definitely use a system in my bedroom, but I'm worried it'll never get any use because I'll just be listening to my PFE's.

i know it's kinda off-topic for this forum, but I was just wondering, are any of you IEM guys into home systems?

When at home, do you prefer to blast music through your speakers or do you prefer it straight into your head through IEM's?

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 19
Neither. If choices available, I rather be blasted in the car. It's something about the close confinement and one feels free to turn it up. At home, one worry about the neighbour, the ppl next room blah-blah.

I dunno about u, but I watch my 5.1 movies in the living room with the big stereo, but if u do watch lots of movies in the BR, go for it, a decent shelf system should suffice depending your BR size.

If $ no object, u should be looking at a movie server, Microsoft Media Center, Apple TV.

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 19
I prefer speakers for Home Theater, but I live in a small condo, so I can't crank my speakers at all. It's too bad because my Velodyne sub can really shake the whole place up.

Best bet (and most expensive) would be to have a Smyth Research SVS.

-Ed

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 19
Speakers of course! There is a huge difference between listening to music through headphones and feeling it through speakers....at least for me. If you want to research an HTB, go to AVSforum.com.....best place for HT stuff. I found that place back when I was looking for my audio and video needs for my place and its been extremely helpful! You'll mostly find me in the HT Gaming section of that place now.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 19
Polk Audio has several well regarded HTiB's (home theater in a box) that are worth considering depending on your budget, decor, etc.

Wes

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 19
I am bigger into home theater stuff than I am in headphones. I have the whole JBL Venue series and a very nice 12 inch Polk Audio sub. I don't like alot of bass, but nothing is better than alot of heavy hitting tight bass.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 19
I was big into 5.1. I had £3,500 of speakers. When i was watching 'Godzilla' the helicopter cahse through the streets, the sound was amazing. after the film , i realized that i'd watched the whole film in 'Stereo' mode. needless to say soon after i ditched the center and rear speakers, the £700 Arcam amp and kept everything in stereo!!! who needs all those speakers and wires??

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 19
I love HT and always through the speakers. Not into "small" systems though.....I like lots of ooomph. Currently:

Onkyo TX-SR806
Bryston 4BSST (powers the front mains)
Energy Veritas 1.8 mains
Energy AC300 center
Energy RVSS dipole surrounds
SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer
PS3
XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
Oppo DV-980H upconverting DVD
Sony 60" SXRD

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Love the speaker.

Electrostatics 380w continuous & 15 " powered (2700w peak) sub

You don't have to turn it up, but man, when you do....

HP listening is a completely different tool. You can shut your eyes and really concentrate on the music. That's why there are so many perfectionists here. Damn them!
wink_face.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swop that for a 983 :)

Would love to but as good as the 983 is I have quite a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the price tag of $520 CDN plus 13% tax for a DVD player. The 980 outputs an excellent image...especially for it's price.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 19
As good as my custom iem is. at home I much prefer to blast my music out of my 2.1 rig. it's just so much different with the speakers filling the room and you can feel the subwoofer. at home i only use my iems at night times when it becomes anti-social to blast music. see my signature for my rig

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would love to but as good as the 983 is I have quite a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the price tag of $520 CDN plus 13% tax for a DVD player. The 980 outputs an excellent image...especially for it's price.

I guess it depends on your screen I upgraded from 981 and 983 and noticed improvement in picture quality. Not as much picture noise. HD Jpeg another feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back