Anyone here into bicycles?
May 23, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #76 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two week ago I visited a Bike shop to see about replacing the tires. BIG suprise, Tublars now cost $70 a piece! I'm not sure what I'm going to do. It's really a beautiful bike, King lugs and fastback seat stays, almost art.

Have you thought about getting a new wheelset built up? Then you can run clinchers.

May 24, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #77 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many years ago I was riding 300 miles a week. I still have my bikes, a road bike made by Jim Redcay, I visited him in Lambertville, NJ and he built for me a nice road machine, Columbias SP tubeing and Shimano Dura-Ace with tubulars. Two week ago I visited a Bike shop to see about replacing the tires. BIG suprise, Tublars now cost $70 a piece! I'm not sure what I'm going to do. It's really a beautiful bike, King lugs and fastback seat stays, almost art.

You may want to visit: http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

I have no affiliation but did a search and ....BTW I also used to ride tubulars 18 years ago and they were far more confortable than clinchers, at least at the time.

May 24, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #78 of 110
Just thought I'd through a pic of my bike up here. It now has a different fork and front wheel, but you get the idea. This was my dream hardtail a long time coming.

IMG_2140.jpg

May 27, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #80 of 110
I have a Gary Fisher Joshua XO, I don't ride much anymore. I should get in the garage tomorrow and give it a tune up and go bash for awhile.

(not my pic, but it's the exact same bike)

62400756.jpg

May 27, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #81 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by adolphe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I'd through a pic of my bike up here. It now has a different fork and front wheel, but you get the idea. This was my dream hardtail a long time coming.

IMG_2140.jpg

NO WAY!!!!

I had TWO of those:
1st one in Grey
77522575.jpg

77522554.jpg

77522533.jpg

77522518.jpg

77522504.jpg

2nd one done up in pink.
94617163.jpg

94617170.jpg

94617184.jpg

94617213.jpg

Probably the widest known MTB in the world, lol. It was THE FIRST mtb with the 1st run of Pink King gruppo, as well as the 1st set of Deity parts. It had the 1st set of Atomlab DHRs, and TI everything else. On a Brooklyn, kinda hard to mistake.

But your bike is sick too....I dig any Brooklyn. Infact, I named my kid Brooklyn, seriously.

May 27, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #82 of 110
Long ago, and far, far away...

I Loved riding bikes, till I began working long hours and nights, then I got too big to ride, and then I got bigger...

I used to ride from Ontario (California) up to Mount Baldy, (alt gain of 6,000 ft in twenty five miles, IIRC) and back on a Saturday, or Ontario to Long Beach and back - around 110 miles in a day.

I rode about 200 miles a week for years, till about age 42.

Still have in my Garage: a 1971 Raleigh Super Course, upgraded with Phil Wood BB, Phil Wood Hubs on Mavic Rims/Sew-Ups; a 1982 Giant MTB; and my (nearly new, mileage wise) 1993 Rodriguez Mountain Tandem, all aluminum with bags/racks, Shimano clips, two sets of wheels/gearing for road work and mountains.

Sadly, I can do nothing but admire them - If I got on them, I would break something. Lotsa memories, though.

Somewhere in my garage, I have a Huret conversion kit that you could add onto a Sturmey-Archer three (or five!) speed hub to multiply the number of gears you had available...let's see, three chain wheels, times three rear cogs, times five speed hub, equals 45 speeds!

Last ride was on the Tandem, with the wife, around Lake Washington, in about 1994.

May 27, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #83 of 110
sick brooklyns...

i've got a 2006.5 yeti 575 with 2007 fox vanilla 140rl, rp23, x9 gears, xt cranks and cogset. got some hope pro 2 dt 4.2d wheels coming in the mail... more of a bike that i can go up and down hills.. gone clipless which is still a bit daunting on the downhills for me

May 27, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #84 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long ago, and far, far away...

I Loved riding bikes, till I began working long hours and nights, then I got too big to ride, and then I got bigger...

I used to ride from Ontario (California) up to Mount Baldy, (alt gain of 6,000 ft in twenty five miles, IIRC) and back on a Saturday, or Ontario to Long Beach and back - around 110 miles in a day.

I rode about 200 miles a week for years, till about age 42.

Still have in my Garage: a 1971 Raleigh Super Course, upgraded with Phil Wood BB, Phil Wood Hubs on Mavic Rims/Sew-Ups; a 1982 Giant MTB; and my (nearly new, mileage wise) 1993 Rodriguez Mountain Tandem, all aluminum with bags/racks, Shimano clips, two sets of wheels/gearing for road work and mountains.

Sadly, I can do nothing but admire them - If I got on them, I would break something. Lotsa memories, though.

Somewhere in my garage, I have a Huret conversion kit that you could add onto a Sturmey-Archer three (or five!) speed hub to multiply the number of gears you had available...let's see, three chain wheels, times three rear cogs, times five speed hub, equals 45 speeds!

Last ride was on the Tandem, with the wife, around Lake Washington, in about 1994.

Never too old or too big. I have started riding again (2 weeks ago) and have discovered a wealth of lightly used paved trails in my town and neighboring communities. No cars to contend with and they pass through some scenic wooded areas. I am slowly building my miles back up. I am doing about 15 miles a outing right now. I thought I was really improving last Friday until I realized that my outbound journey was with a 25 mph tailwind. I turned around after about 8 miles and went home bucking the wind the entire way. It was a workout but all in all not that bad. Rained all day yesterday but today is looking better. The sun is poking through and I will be headed out as soon as things dry up a bit.

I have been traveling (42+ weeks/yr) for the last 2 years and it has been a struggle to keep my weight constant. What really convinced me that I need to get into better shape though was deer hunting last Thanksgiving. So now that my travels are back to a somewhat normal level I am dedicated into getting back into shape. I am off for a little over a week so in addition to work around the house I am going to be riding and going to the gym every day. Not going to try and recover all that I lost in a week but more get in the habit of daily exercise. I have a 1969 Columbia ten speed in the garage that I rode up until about 1990 but I bought this one for my latest adventures.

May 27, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #85 of 110
AndrewFischer, that's a great Bianchi you've got there.

I've got two bikes, one which is now a mere frame but once was a Trek Top Fuel:

attachment.php

And the road bike is a Habanero Ti frame, classic geometry, with DT RR1450 wheels, Zipp carbon bar + stem,
Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, King pewter 1" HS, and Campy Centaur 10 spd with carbon cranks. Rides like a dream.

May 27, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #86 of 110
Here's another pic of one of my rides. I like to believe it's the LAST mountain bike I'll ever purchase.
wink.gif

PixelPusher_BikeFiSeven_02.jpg

Both of my bikes posted here are custom, made to measure jobs. The Seven is built up with all good things titanium and was one of the very first Sola's built to accommodate disc brakes. The Black Bike features a main triangle made of AerMet 100 alloy, rear Reynolds stays, Campy dropouts and custom Japanese Everest lug work throughout. It originally sported a custom Columbus Genius fork which I eventually moved on for some carbon action.
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #87 of 110
I'm going cycle touring for 4 or 5 months in France, around this time next year. I'll be taking a tent and the bare essentials on a cycle trailer and heading off round the whole country. I won't be completely cut off from head-fi though, I'll take a pocket pc and jump on wireless hotspots whenever I go through a city.

May 27, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #88 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going cycle touring for 4 or 5 months in France, around this time next year. I'll be taking a tent and the bare essentials on a cycle trailer and heading off round the whole country. I won't be completely cut off from head-fi though, I'll take a pocket pc and jump on wireless hotspots whenever I go through a city.

How exciting, I would love to do some touring overseas in Europe. Touring for me is highly social, something I appreciate and enjoy more as I get older versus the solo death marches on the road. The only problem would be coordinating and more critically convincing my mates to take the time off!
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #89 of 110
Oh damn...a Seven with moots ti.....baller!!!! Sexy...why the cheap fork though?

The Windsor....pretty solid bike for the price. I know the manfacturers personally...

May 27, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #90 of 110
way to screw up the page width, john.

i have a k2 "flying monkey" with disc brakes and black shocks. the frame however is just a bit too small for me, and i wondered if there was a way to swap out the frame and keep the same components.

tia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back