Anyone Here Actually Have a pair of Orpheuses?
Oct 3, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Fewtch - come to the next meet. New cables, and switching the left and right pads means the HE90s now have incredible left-right imaging too (MUCH less "in the middle of your head").

Hopefully I can... had a bit of a falling out with Wilson M. recently. It was over a really dumb topic though, so maybe I'll PM and work it out with him (or maybe the next meet will happen somewhere other than his place... Experience Audio, perhaps).

Oct 3, 2003 at 11:00 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Geek - You serious?

Yes he is serious, IMO, IME, to my ears, etc...HD600+Cardas is an unbeatable phones; period. (HD600/Cardas+Manley blow everything else on this planet)

Oct 3, 2003 at 11:18 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
Made this as a joke for someone who just had twins...

orphb.jpg

Luckiest twins ever?

Oct 3, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
sovkiller,

I'd be very careful about where you position the HD600s. On the WOH tour, the HD600/blockhead combo was very close to the sound of the orpheus combo; some couldn't tell the difference and others (a small minority) in fact preferred the HD600/blockhead. I of course was not on the WOH tour. I do not have a personal opinion regarding the orpheus system whatsoever.

I do know that from personal experience (violin) it's damn hard to improve sonically past a maxed out HD600 setup.

I got a chance to hear Adam Barrett play on his instrument today in a small recital hall (he owns a multimillion dollar instrument dated 1865 I believe). Barrett is a top Juliard student who has won several concerto competitions. The sound was approximately distanced the same as if you were listening to HD600s through a blockhead and meridian (the spacing was 20 ft).

Cheers,
Geek

On that same tour they killed the CD3000 on the combo they choose for it, but anyway, a Blockhead is a 3,000+ amp, if you need that to make the HD600 shine, like that, thanks I pass, I preffer a much humble setup that sounds just right. For the same amount of the HD600 + MGHead, I got now the CD3000 with the Perreaux, that beat it by a good margin, as I stated above, this is just IMO and IME, maybe others will like the other way around of course....by the way if the HD600 sounded close to the Orpheus, I begin to doubt that the Orpheus will be a cup of tea for me, I do not like the signature of the HD600, and IMO, an amp will not change that, it will make it sounded better, or the best that the HD600 can sound, but it still will sound like the HD600, right? What I do not like is its signature, its nature...Sorry if I bother you with my comments...

Oct 3, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Mastergill
Yes he is serious, IMO, IME, to my ears, etc...HD600+Cardas is an unbeatable phones; period. (HD600/Cardas+Manley blow everything else on this planet)

what else have you tried, oh the unbeatable one?

Oct 3, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

I've found always found the HE90 to be much more natural, without the insanely big bass of the Omegas.

IME, a bit of cable swapping can greatly alleviate the "big bass" syndrome of the Omega IIs.

If you can afford to talk about hybrid Gilmores, then you should be able to try some different cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #37 of 46
When I had the Omega IIs, I tried with Shunyata Viper V2, FIM Gold, and Ultimate Lab. The Fim was most dynamic and transparent and still is the best power cord I have tried so far, but it did not alleviate all the deep bass Omega II exhibited. The Shunyata made the Omegas highs and mids sound most natural almost smoother, but made the bass wetter. Lastly, the Ultimate Lab had the best black and lowest noisefloor althugh it was pretty neutral nothing too exciting in any frequency.
All 3 did not alleviate the bass to the extent in which I was happy. Orpheus bass outclassed the Omega bass easily,
At that time I was also using Pure Note Epsilon Silver and Epsilon reference Silver/Copper which were very detailed ICs although not as detailed as the HMS that I am using now and they still did not alleviate the bass problem.
I strongly think a different amp perhaps a Gilmore amp would help alleviate just a little, but its probably the chracteristic of the Omegas and will never change.

Oct 3, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
IME, a bit of cable swapping can greatly alleviate the "big bass" syndrome of the Omega IIs.

If you can afford to talk about hybrid Gilmores, then you should be able to try some different cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I can't afford a hybrid yet, nor Omegas, but yeah, I'll try some different cables (and a CD player that isn't a Cary) next time.

Oct 3, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Well, I can't afford a hybrid yet, nor Omegas, but yeah, I'll try some different cables (and a CD player that isn't a Cary) next time.

Well, if you sold your pair of HE90's.. you'd have more than enough for a pair of Omega IIs.. but if you did that, I'd personally drive over and kill you.
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #40 of 46
way to go archosman!

Youve just made the lives of the parents of those kids an audiophile nightmare.

There gonna take one look at the fisher price record player that theyll buy for em in their younger years and just go "What the hell is this crap?!?"

Oct 3, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Well, if you sold your pair of HE90's.. you'd have more than enough for a pair of Omega IIs.. but if you did that, I'd personally drive over and kill you.
tongue.gif

a) The HE90s will be sold over my dead body. Attempts at bringing this state about prematurely will be met by high voltages.

b) The HE90 are in my opinion superior to the Omega2 with some exceptions for certain types of music.

c) The retail price of the HE90s is ~$7500 at the moment. That's enough for Omega2s, the Hybrid, and a killer source.

Oct 3, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #42 of 46
a) Not to worry. I'll make it painless. You won't know what hit you.

b) My Omega 2s just got here this morning. If you are up to wiring up a jack then you are welcome to borrow them for the weekend. I have Kevin's recommended alternative jack. I'm ordering an official Stax one but it will take a bit of time to get here. I should be able to get my KGSS operational next week but in the mean time you are welcome to them.

c) I've talked to a few of my friends in low places and I could probably get a new pair for $5000.

Oct 3, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
b) My Omega 2s just got here this morning.

c) I've talked to a few of my friends in low places and I could probably get a new pair for $5000.

Hm. I really need to make it over to your place sometime..
tongue.gif

Get an Orpheus (and not just the HE90), to go along with your HP-1/Maestrobator and Omega2/KGSS, and I'll be there like.. yesterday.
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 7:58 PM Post #44 of 46
Nice. No time this weekend, maybe next weekend.

Oh, and you did put the can transistors in backwards, right? Otherwise the boards won't work.

(search the diy forum... teucer posted something about it)

Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
a) Not to worry. I'll make it painless. You won't know what hit you.

b) My Omega 2s just got here this morning. If you are up to wiring up a jack then you are welcome to borrow them for the weekend. I have Kevin's recommended alternative jack. I'm ordering an official Stax one but it will take a bit of time to get here. I should be able to get my KGSS operational next week but in the mean time you are welcome to them.

Oct 3, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #45 of 46
Okay. Next weekend probably works too. I might have the official jacks by then.

Yeah, I put in the can transistors in reverse as well as fixed the ground error in the "new" power supply board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back