Anyone Here Actually Have a pair of Orpheuses?
Oct 2, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Sorry to ask, but does the HE90 use a weird connector?...I know that somebody said the might run off a really good dynamic amplifier, but I've not asked before...??

The HE90 is an electrostatic amp, so yes, it does use a weird connector. Ask Eric about it, as he's made an adapter for the HE90's to connect to Stax amps (and the KGSS and such.)

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Sorry to ask, but does the HE90 use a weird connector?...I know that somebody said the might run off a really good dynamic amplifier, but I've not asked before...??

The He90 uses a 5 pin Fischer connector,and no they cannot be run off a dynamic amp.

Oct 2, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 46
Believe it or not, I prefer the DCT-1 + HP-1000 over the mega more expensive Orpheus for jpop, cpop, and american rock. On everything else (classical, jazz and etc), its really no comparison as Orpheus wins all the way. I guess more $$$ does not always mean better (sometimes its preference) but then again it could be my source making pop music sound bad hehe( I use to have a SCD-1). Maybe if I get the Linn CD-12, it will make poorly recordings sound exceptionally good on the Orpheus, but I seriously doubt it.

Oct 2, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
The He90 uses a 5 pin Fischer connector,and no they cannot be run off a dynamic amp.

I think Kevin Gilmore mentioned in the DIY section that his Krell balanced amplifier had the voltage swing to drive them.

Oct 3, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #20 of 46
Actually, I know some people who have used 2 to 5W amplifiers to give enough voltage swing for electrostatics. Of course, the amps probably didn't like that kind of work since most expect fairly low impedances (you would need some serious load impedance to make a 2 to 5W amplifier give up the required voltage to drive the stators).

You would still need a high voltage bias supply but that isn't too hard to attain with a decent transformer and a bit of circuitry.

I'll stick to a dedicated electrostatic amp.

Oct 3, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Yes and maybe.

I've got a bunch of information on the HE90 connector (having made an adapter cable for myself, a KGSS for them, and two adapter cables for a guy who wanted to try his HE90s off his 007t and his Omega2 off his HEV90), much of it is in my post in Jatinder's Orpheus tuberolling thread.

Oct 3, 2003 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Vka
Believe it or not, I prefer the DCT-1 + HP-1000 over the mega more expensive Orpheus for jpop, cpop, and american rock. On everything else (classical, jazz and etc), its really no comparison as Orpheus wins all the way. I guess more $$$ does not always mean better (sometimes its preference) but then again it could be my source making pop music sound bad hehe( I use to have a SCD-1). Maybe if I get the Linn CD-12, it will make poorly recordings sound exceptionally good on the Orpheus, but I seriously doubt it.

Hoo, boy, someone's gotta hear the Blue Hawaii output stage (aka Kevin Gilmore Hybrid electrostatic amp).

Vka, meet Zzz.

Oct 3, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #23 of 46
Made this as a joke for someone who just had twins...

orphb.jpg

Oct 3, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #24 of 46
Well, I sure like to try the Omega II and give them another chance on the Orpheus amp and then see if the Omega II improves. So you say you know how to make the adaptor to allow Omega II work on the Orpheus amp? And does anyone know how that sounds and which they prefer out of the Orpheus amp, the Orpheus headphone or Omega II headphone. Finally how much does it costs to build an adaptor.
Its too bad I sold the Omega II without giving them a real chance considering the 007t amp that came iwth it sucked so bad.
But even with a better amp(let say Gilmore amp), I bet there are still some characteristic of Omega II that I dislike which will never change:
1) nearfield soundstage which is good for quartet but feels closed for other music
2) neutral but laid back highs. I doubt any amp would make it sound as airy, delicate basically as coloured as the Orpheus. the Orpheus was tuned to sound like this I think.
3) microphonic and headphone comfort. For some reason I could not get a good fit with the Omega II and I hear noise if I move my head. I have no problem with this on the Orpheus.
4) Finally I thought the Omega II bass goes a tad too deep for my taste, kinda hurt my ears.

Oct 3, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #25 of 46
archos - Nice photoshop, but the headphones plug into the front side of the amp, under the wood piece.

Vka - Contact me in private if you're seriously interested in a set of conversion cables.

Personally I've always preferred the HE90s to the Omega2 except for rock music (Pink Floyd et al.), I've found always found the HE90 to be much more natural, without the insanely big bass of the Omegas. The HE90 are also more comfortable.

Note, however, that if you feel the Stax amps are inferior, you absolutely MUST try one of the Gilmore designs (given your system, I'd just go with the hybrid... cheaper in the long run. [again, ask zzz] I'll have to dig up my email archives, but I believe one of the Stax engineers acknowledged that the Hybrid sounds better than the Stax T2, and in Kevin Gilmore's own words: "Yes i have schematics to the orpheus.
Output tubes are tetrodes. Yuuk.
Either of my tube amps does significantly better.
And my solid state amp beats all of them!
No i am not opinionated
smily_headphones1.gif
" [http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...&srch=orpheus; ])

Oct 3, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Heyyoudvd

I think this is one of questions for the ages that we'll never get an answer to, just like the meaning of life.

biggrin.gif

For the meaning of life, you might check out Monty Python
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #27 of 46
sovkiller,

I'd be very careful about where you position the HD600s. On the WOH tour, the HD600/blockhead combo was very close to the sound of the orpheus combo; some couldn't tell the difference and others (a small minority) in fact preferred the HD600/blockhead. I of course was not on the WOH tour. I do not have a personal opinion regarding the orpheus system whatsoever.

I do know that from personal experience (violin) it's damn hard to improve sonically past a maxed out HD600 setup.

I got a chance to hear Adam Barrett play on his instrument today in a small recital hall (he owns a multimillion dollar instrument dated 1865 I believe). Barrett is a top Juliard student who has won several concerto competitions. The sound was approximately distanced the same as if you were listening to HD600s through a blockhead and meridian (the spacing was 20 ft).

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 3, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #28 of 46
Geek - You serious?

Someone have a balanced source I can borrow? I have a call to the Headroom Educational Loaner Program to make...

Oct 3, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
I do know that from personal experience (violin) it's damn hard to improve sonically past a maxed out HD600 setup.

I'll back you up on that with my limited experience and crappy equipment (but --imo of course-- pretty good ears).

Put it this way -- my previously preferred headphones were Grado SR-60s and Denon AH-D950 (Denon's top of the line, and not bad headphones at all by any measure). After a week of listening to my HD-580 with stock cables, I cannot stand to listen to the Denons anymore, and put them up for sale on the Gear FS/Trade forum. The Grado SR-60 I sold off already, and have the same feeling about in relation to the Senns.

If the 580 with stock cables through a Creek amp and Audiophile 24/96 soundcard can do this to me, well...
wink.gif

P.S. for Sovkiller's benefit -- this is in no way a knock on the CD3k's, for all I know I might like them much better than the 580/600. I'm commenting specifically on my personal experience with the HD580/600, and it's only my opinion.

As far as sticking to the topic... I was lucky enough to hear eric343's HE-90 at the recent Seattle minimeet 3 through zzz's weebl amp (some classical music, forgot what). The front-to-back imaging in particular was stunning -- I was floored. Although my setup cannot even dream of equalling that combo, I do hear some elements of what I heard that night through my HD-580s and crapola Creek OBH-11 amp. I also heard both the HD-580s and HD-600s that night with some seriously good gear, and that's what decided me on buying a pair of HD-580s (and today, a pair of HD-600s). Musical instruments sound exactly like they should, vocals sound exactly like they should, everything sounds right. Dunno what more to ask from a pair of dynamic headphones in this price range.

Oct 3, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #30 of 46
Fewtch - come to the next meet. New cables, and switching the left and right pads means the HE90s now have incredible left-right imaging too (MUCH less "in the middle of your head").

Vka, Boze, and Jatinder, you guys really gotta play with the pads on your HE90s. They totally change the soundstage if you change how they're oriented or what side they're on.

(note this might also have something to do with how the HE90s were recieved at the WoH tour... who knows)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back