Anyone help me with a computer problem?
Jul 2, 2002 at 11:54 AM Post #31 of 44
I have completely abandoned FAT16 almost five years ago, when Windows 95 OSR 2 first graced home PCs. FAT16 itself is extremely wasteful - what if I installed one of today's games that takes up nearly 2GB of hard disk space, with a lot of small files? With a 2GB limit on hard-drive volumes, and a cluster size of 32KB on hard-drive volumes larger than 1GB, there's NO guarantee that those 1.8GB games will even install at all on FAT16 drives. And today we have games that require significantly more than 2GB if you install all of the desired options on the hard disk.

AFAIK the Windows NT 4.0 (and 3.5) can support and format FAT16 volumes up to 4GB, but other Windows OSes (even Windows 2000 and XP) can't read FAT16 volumes over 2GB.

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

AFAIK the NTFS file system under NT4.0 does not read FAT32 disks. How do you use the FAT32 disk partition for data storage for programs installed on the NTFS partition?

I really dont know, im sorry im just not that technical when it comes to hardcore computers. I have windows XP. If i put a program on the NTFS drive, and save files created in it to the FAT32 drive, it works. Thats all i do.

When i bought the pc the sales guy asked if i wanted it partitioned. I said yes, two 20 gig partitions. Then he asked if i wanted them in NTFS or FAT32. I had no idea, and he said ok, i'll make one NTFS and one FAT32.

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #33 of 44
The answer is that you're using XP, which can handle any of the file systems.
wink.gif

Anyone have a suggestion on how I should partition two 20GB hard drives on a laptop, one of which is swappable with the optical drive (so can't use anything stored on it with an optical drive) for Windows XP and Red Hat 7.2?

kerelybonto

Jul 2, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #34 of 44
XP Pro can read both NTFS and FAT32 file partitions. XP Home I believe is FAT32 only. I tend to like NTFS better than FAT32 and when drive performance and game performace are benchmarked on the same system there is not a noticible difference between the two. FAT32 seemed to become fragmented faster than NTFS which can slow down your system, but that is only an observation I had nothing to actually back that up.

I think the statement about the MFD is an exageration. On a new install of XP Pro, the amount of disk space used is less than 1 GB on a 80GB drive.

kerelybonto,

do you have firewire orr USB2.0 connection on your laptop? If so you could get an external harddrive for the laptop for linux.

Jul 2, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

I have completely abandoned FAT16 almost five years ago, when Windows 95 OSR 2 first graced home PCs.

Well sheeet , I have 95 OSR 2 on the dinosaur (yeah ,top of the line in '97 ,linited USB,voice control,house lighting controls,alarm system control,etc.) so I guess I have FAT 32 ?
Cool , maybe I get this done "in house"

biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #36 of 44
Actually, XP Home DOES have NTFS. It can read, write, format, etc.

It DOESN'T have SMP support and advanced networking. It can't connect to an NT/2000 domain as well.

Jul 3, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #37 of 44
i also heard that windows XP home is not a true 32 bit OS. XP pro is apparently a true 32 bit OS.

Although i really have no idea what a 32 bit OS is supposed to mean, and what its being compared against.
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
i also heard that windows XP home is not a true 32 bit OS. XP pro is apparently a true 32 bit OS.

Although i really have no idea what a 32 bit OS is supposed to mean, and what its being compared against.
biggrin.gif

Thats me confused then, because I thought XP home was 32bit, and XP Pro was 64bit
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 9:23 AM Post #39 of 44
XP is a continuation of the NT operating system line and all versions are true 32 bit. If XP Pro was 64 bit you'd need a 64 bit processor to run it. There will probably be a 64 bit version soon although it's more likely to be on whatever comes after XP. Microsoft is supposed to have a deal with AMD to produce a 64 bit Windows for their Opteron/Hammer processors.

XP Home and Pro are essentially the same operating system, the only difference is what software is included and in what way Microsoft crippled the Home version to make it less appealing than Pro. This is pretty common practice for Microsoft, you could turn NT 4 Workstation into Server with a simple edit to the registry, minus a few apps that came with Server.

(HBZ)

Jul 3, 2002 at 3:24 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Hamsterball_Z
XP is a continuation of the NT operating system line and all versions are true 32 bit.

Yep,
Windows 2000 is really NT 5.0, and
Windows XP is NT 5.1

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #41 of 44
kerelybonto:

If you REALLY wanted to go buck-willy, you could install Linux as the OS on your PC and then run a virtual machine with Windows when you wanted to run Windows apps. Or, the other way around. Totally up to you.

Try VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/) for the VM software. Excellent for development/testing but stable enough for production. Heck they even have server versions available!

Why use a VM? If the virtual machine ever has a problem and is ill behaving, just kill the vm session and then start it up again. Allows you to have two PCs on one box without the same issues of running multiple OS's on one box (e.g., different hard drive formats, conflicting software, etc). One caveat: need a bunch of RAM to make it run quickly (would suggest 512 MB, but it will work with 256). Like I said, if you REALLY want to go buck-willy....

IE problem: fuggedaboudit! Go with Opera instead. (http://www.opera.com/)

It's faster and more stable than IE.

Good lcuk!
Bruce

Jul 4, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #42 of 44
There is a 64 bit version of XP designed to run on Intels ITANIUM.

Jpelg, fat16 is inferior to NTFS. If you prefer it fine, but it is inferior. At least from the standpoint of performance.

As a matter of fact, fat16 is the subject of many jokes and is often highligted as a reason that microsoft sucks. But thats just something I read in a linux manual so perhaps they were a bit biased.

Jul 4, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #43 of 44
Well... I'm on my works PC at the moment...

I flashed my home computer bios this morning apparently with a faulty disc, because the bios is no more, doesn't boot the PC up or anything... Thank the lord that ABit use socketed Bios' and also that their UK office is about a 5 minute drive from my works...

well... hopefully see you later
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #44 of 44
and... here I am
biggrin.gif

10/10 for ABit's customer service
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back