Anyone heard the new Jays 5-armature universal IEMs?
Apr 22, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #18 of 36

Quote:

Would you rate the FI BA-SS to be on the same tier as the JH16, sound quality wise?

Both are fairly different in sound quality. The JH16 would have more bass (bass even rumbles), while the FI-BA-SS clearly wins in clarity and treble. The FI-BA-SS's clarity is really second to none. However, JH16's bass is one of the best you can ever hear in a balanced armature based IEM, sounding full, yet not bloated and of quality. So I would say they are on par, though I have not tried the JH16 custom-fitted, so you never know :wink: 

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #19 of 36

Quote:

Both are fairly different in sound quality. The JH16 would have more bass (bass even rumbles), while the FI-BA-SS clearly wins in clarity and treble. The FI-BA-SS's clarity is really second to none. However, JH16's bass is one of the best you can ever hear in a balanced armature based IEM, sounding full, yet not bloated and of quality. So I would say they are on par, though I have not tried the JH16 custom-fitted, so you never know :wink: 

Ahh ok, now I can shut my yap up about them being terribly overpriced. I would still like to see them have at least a removable cable.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #20 of 36

Quote:

Ahh ok, now I can shut my yap up about them being terribly overpriced. I would still like to see them have at least a removable cable.

Well, whether it's overpriced or not really depends on the listener. I found them to be a "little" overpriced, but not to a high extend. Because that would mean the K3003s are overpriced as well. Well, the cable is pretty strong, with the metal strain relief (LOL)!

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #22 of 36

Quote:
$1000+ for a single BA, even if they spent a ridiculous amount of time tuning it, is a rip off!
Oh yeah that fake jay 5 armature thing is ugly.<---on topic

Apparently the sound isn't a rip off... it's the clearest IEM I have heard to date, even trampling over the custom demo IEMs I have heard with 6-8 drivers. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 36

Quote:
$1000+ for a single BA, even if they spent a ridiculous amount of time tuning it, is a rip off!
Oh yeah that fake jay 5 armature thing is ugly.<---on topic

do you feel its a rip off because it is a single driver iem at 1,000.00 compared to others with 6 to 8 drivers.

even if the 1,000.00 single ba driver sound quality is better over the 6-8?

to me the iem with more drivers yet poor sound quality over a single ba is more of a rip off thats just me.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #25 of 36

Quote:
Well I mean they definitely profit very well selling it for $300 but they go for $1000+, so yes, I feel that its a rip off!

I believe that Final Audio's drivers are not only custom made.. but a complete redesign of conventional BA driver... which is why it has vent holes... Yes.. the driver might only cost $50~100. and assembly/tunning might be another $100 200 plus all the other stuff.. making the total raw material only about $300. but you have to remember the R&D cost, and marketing cost... plus for a company only selling audio related products.. 200~300% profit margin is necessary for survival.. I can say that most CIEMs and headphones have higher profit margin than that. so if you don't want to get ripped off.... you can just build your own system...

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #27 of 36

Quote:
It's to their specs but not a complete redesign. There have been vent holes in BAs for a decade or more. None of that changes the fact that they're very good.

confused.gif
 really? I thought that BA drivers don't push that much air, so vent holes on the enclosures are not required.. ( I wasn't talking about the drivers)

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #28 of 36
ADDIEM is a vented enclosure. Sleek also. Final definitely deserve credit and changed up some things to get it dialed into their design but they haven't reinvented the wheel. In theory, a larger diaphragm can move more air but if one IEM or another has +3 db at 30hz with the same efficiency, they're moving the same amount of air, regardless of type. Damping characteristics etc. may be different but some of the terminology used here doesn't really fit what's happening. An ADDIEM becomes under damped in it's config and has more bass with a smaller vent (about the circular diameter of the slot used). The Sleek works properly

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
ADDIEM is a vented enclosure. Sleek also. Final definitely deserve credit and changed up some things to get it dialed into their design but they haven't reinvented the wheel.

blink.gif
 thanks for clarifying.. I had no idea that Sleek is making vented enclosures, but I thought that ADDIEM's vents are just decoration...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back