Anyone heard the AKG K271? How does it compare to K501?
Jan 16, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #16 of 26
Man, talk about a grave dig (2003 OP).
wink.gif

I have to say that I have no issues with the stock pleather pads neither. It's quite comfortable as it is, with very low clamping pressure. I would have to agree with everything about the K271. Though it is less colored than I actually prefer for most of my music (K240 Sextett ranks higher, and the DT990 as well as the DT660 with the LXH2 circuit) because it's not as lively with metal.

However, when I listen to opera, particularly soprano pieces, or classical I favor the K271 because it is less colored.

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K271S are very well rounded and detailed phones, non fatiguing and having absolutely sweet mids. With velour pads comfort is one of the best, not so great with stock pleather. I have tried all major closed players in $300 range before I get K271S, tried some new offerings after that as well, but they all pretty much ended up in FS section. The only other closed that I value higher is W5000.
With velour pads and Zu cable K271S are a real treat.

I agree, not fatiguing, detailed, great mids, fairly good isolation (good for recording) I didn't really like the soundstage though, as I thought there wasn't any. Very comfortable. I also had the velour pads and zu cable. I thought the zu gave more detail in mids and bass, and better bass control, although stock the bass was quite good. I don't listen to boomy bass music, more indie, acoustic guitar type sounds, and I found the 271 bass to be very natural and deep, some of the deepest headphone bass I have heard. I recently sold them in favor of the jvc dx-1000. This is the second time I sold a pair. I am curious about the w5000's though.

good luck.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 26
the 271 is superior to the 501. It doesn't artificially color the sound with fake distance. The midrange is more accurate. The sound is warmer and fuller. The bass is much better.

Jan 20, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #24 of 26
I know this might appear to be out of the box advice, but I'd consider an amp for your AKG 240M's. Mine are 600 ohm and are idential in power requirements to my AKG k501's.

The 240S has a bass hump, which would make them less accurate for mastering, but, yes, they are more efficient.

I think for less money you could make the phones you have really sing.

At least it's an option.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 26
i like how you think Kevin,
Can anyone affirm a Corda Move working well with the AKG line? I've had my eyes on either a sextett, 501, 271, or 601 for my Move that is currently on its way.
Deciding which AKG to jump for is just too difficult reading these forums... they all have rave reviews.

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #26 of 26
I'm absolutly no expert in music but I can assure you that the K271s headphones sound pretty damn good!
biggrin.gif
Only downside of having such a pair of good headphones is that I'll have to upgrade my whole MP3 collection to higher bitrates or lossless
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back