Anyone heard the AKG K271? How does it compare to K501?
Aug 5, 2003 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Michael Yoder

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a newbie to the list. What a wonderful source of info and entertainment!!

Anyway, I'd like to upgrade my 'phones for two main uses: mixing/monitoring live-to-2-track analog recordings of my jazz trio, and mixing down 4 and 8-track analog multitrack recordings to 2-track analog. Grado SR60s are o.k., but a bit fatiguing and not the smoothest sounding. AKG K240 M is a bit muffled and not so revealing in terms of sound stage, digital reverb effect, etc.

The biggest turnoff is the artificial boominess of some phones (example: Sony MDR 7506, and even the spiffy Sennheiser HD 497). I want something that not only will give me an accurate mix, but also something that's pleasant to listen back to what I've recorded.

No retailers nearby to check out anything. One recommendation someone made is the AKG K271, but can't find *any* reviews of it, nor comments on its bass characteristics, soundstage, tonal balance, etc. I like the reviews I've read of the K501's, described as a bit lean in the bass (which for my purposes probably means they're accurate), but I wonder if I need a closed-back type.

Any recommendations? Any thoughts on the K271 or the feasibility of the K501 for studio mixing?

Thanks a million!!

Michael Yoder

Aug 5, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 26
there are quite a few headphones out there that offer good balanced sound....

If you don't mind the comfort, the Sennheiser HD280 and the Ultrasone HFI-650 are pretty good...I've only heard the HD280 though...the frequency response on them is pretty much flat...many have complained of lack of bass, especially when compared to the 7506 and Beyer DT250-80...both are closed, an offer lots of isolation....I've heard that the ultrasone's have pretty good soundstage for a closed system....

The new AKG studio line [K141S, 240S, 171S and 271S] all seem to offer pretty good sound....some here have said they prefer the 240S sound over the 501....the studio line is much more efficient, and therefore versatile....try doing a search for the 240S and you might find some info on the rest of the studio line as well....

as for the AKG K501, it seems that it needs a lot of power....I don't know if it needs as much as the 240M....but if the 240M sounds dull and lifeless to you, then chances are that there's not enough power driving those headphones....

whether you want a closed system or an open one, the decision is up to you....it depends on where you are recording....the 7506's are used at UBC Recording for all recitals and concerts even though the recording is done in a booth....

Aug 5, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 26
I have AKG 271S. I think they walk the fine line of enough detail, but not too much treble or presence region energy to become fatiguing quickly.

Sound on Sound (UK print magazine) had a review of them in their most recent issue. They thought it had an elevated high frequency response.

have not found this to be the case with my equipment (Meier Pre-head + RME Digi 96/8 PAD as source). I'd even say that it masks details at 16-18+ kHz due to downwards sloping frequency response. This is not a bad thing imho for natural diffuse field type listening, but if you want a surgical tool for mixing, then it can be a slight hindrance.

I think the bass is ok, somewhat accentuated in upper bass, but not much. I do not think it is bloated nor do I think it goes particularly low (Ultrasone HFI-650 does better in that regard IMHO).

Soundstage, no comments as I've yet to hear a phone that really pleases me in that regard.

Wearing ergonomics are quite nice. Not much clamping force, although they can get sweaty (although not anywhere near Ultrasone HFI-650).

They do not leak sound a lot and they have a switch that turns off their sound output at vertical position (i.e. not good for sleeping with), which can be useful in a studio settings.

I wish I would have time for a proper review, but I haven't. I've only had these cans for c. 4 months and have not really sat down and compared them consciously to my other headphones, so take my words with a grain of salt.

regards,
Halcyon

Aug 6, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 26
Hero Zero and Halcyon,

Thanks for your helpful comments!! It seems as though I'm at least heading in the right direction by exploring further the AKG studio line. I did as was recommended to me and searched for more on the K240S, and it seems that it is preferred to the K240M in situations (like mine) with no separate amp, but only output jacks on tape recorder, CD player, etc.

Thus, it might make sense to be "conservative" and try the lower-impedance version (240S) of what I'm already used to bass-wise (240M). On the other hand, the 271 seems like it might be a step up in higher frequency accuracy/detail, and offers the advantage of isolation. So that option might make more sense.

The bottom line: I think I've now shifted the search from a choice between K501 and K271 to a choice between K240S and K271.

Interestingly, a seemingly credible review (forgot the web site now) that compared the Grado SR60 (which I have) with the AKG K240S, ended up preferring the AKG. I agreed with the author's assessment of the SR60 (basically flat but a bit too sparkly to capture all the bass, midrange and lower treble detail simultaneously, while artificially accentuating high end flaws in a mix). This is EXACTLY what I experienced tonight when copying some recently-recorded live-to-2-track analog stuff to CD and then playing back on my JMLab Cobalt 806 speakers, NAD 520i CD player and Rega Mira amp. . .the flaws so noticeable in the SR60s were greatly reduced under conditions of more realistic/accurate JMLab/Rega combination, yet more overall detail was evident. Thus, the lower impedance version of K240, described as accurate but not hyperactive, might just be the ticket.

Still need to think it over. Any other opinions out there might be helpful :)

Thanks again, gentlemen.
By the way, hero zero, I was in Vancouver last month for the jazz fest and had a blast!! Nicest city in the western hemishphere by far!! Loved Kenny Wheeler/John Taylor, Iain Ballamy/Arve Henriksen, and some of your local Vancouver talent (Chris Gestrin, J.P. Carter, Simon Fisk, and others).

Cheers,
Michael Yoder
Laredo, Texas

Aug 6, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 26
I've never heard the 271s but FWIW, I really love my 501s. I liked them right from the start and when I finally got a really powerful amp, I fell in love with them all over again.
Best of luck!

Aug 6, 2003 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 26
The relatively new AKG Headphones Forum has had a few brief but interesting Q&As.

AKG Acoustics - Home

For example, responding to inquiries about emphasis on low-frequency reproduction, Horst of AKG "seems" to rank the following phones in this order, IIRC.
  1. K 271 Studio
  2. K 240 Studio
  3. K 401
  4. K 501[/list=1]

TravelLite

Aug 6, 2003 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 26
Hi Magic 77 and TravelLite,

Thanks for the postings.

Magic77, would you tell me, please, a little more detail of *why* the K271S and K171S are your favourites? In other words, (sorry to be a pain), would you provide short little product reviews?

TravelLite, thanks for the tip about the AKG forum. I didn't know it existed. I e-mailed Horst and asked for clarification of a couple of things he said about the K240S in some earlier postings. He *seems* to be implying that these are better for studio mixing than the K271S. I will be happy to share his response when and if he replies.

Again, thanks for the responses. I appreciate your help. And of course, if anyone else has yet to add to this discussion and would like to, I would be grateful for all the info. I can get!

Sincerely,
Michael Yoder

Aug 7, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 26
I can't really speak to studio uses, and would not consider myselrf a genuine audiophile, but I think that the Sennheiser HD280pro might address some of your unhappiness with the Sony 7506 and Senn 497. Although some people complain about a lack of bass, they really mean that upper/mid bass hump that seems to be so common. Bass extension on the 280s is excellent. Frequency response seems much flatter to me than the Sonys, and there was at least one person around here who said that they're very amenable to equalization. Also, they're definitely designed for studio use, with excellent isolation swivel/rotating cups.

Aug 7, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 26
Michael,

Sorry, I'm not a good "Review" person. I think each person's opinion and perception of the way something sounds is different and subjective.

I'm a very big AKG Headphone Fan. Personally, I like AKG Headphones better than any other brand that I have had or tried, such as; Sennheiser, Sony, Grado, Beyerdynamic, Koss etc....

I'm not saying any of those brands are any worse or better; It's just what my ears like.

But, anyway; I love all of the AKG Studio Phones; 141S, 171S, 240S and 271S.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 26
The sound stage, K271s is a bit smaller than K501. However, the depth is deeper and higher K501.

The bass, K271s is noticeable better than K501.

K271s provides mature colorful sound, while K501 provides clear, crisp sound. From the monitoring purpose point of view, K271s should be more correct.

For pop songs and rock, I have to say that K271s is much better than K501. The speed, power, and response are all very good. In comparison, K501 seems a little bit too gentle, and not be able to perform the power of the music (pop & Rock).

However, K501 could be the winner if the music is like classic and new age, K271s is too thick to play these songs.

In conclusion, K271 is balance, powerful. It is good for monitoring, editing, and also HiFi music listening. K501 is very good as well, but it is limitied to certain type of songs.
cool.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 26
K271S are very well rounded and detailed phones, non fatiguing and having absolutely sweet mids. With velour pads comfort is one of the best, not so great with stock pleather. I have tried all major closed players in $300 range before I get K271S, tried some new offerings after that as well, but they all pretty much ended up in FS section. The only other closed that I value higher is W5000.
With velour pads and Zu cable K271S are a real treat.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K271S are very well rounded and detailed phones, non fatiguing and having absolutely sweet mids. With velour pads comfort is one of the best, not so great with stock pleather. I have tried all major closed players in $300 range before I get K271S, tried some new offerings after that as well, but they all pretty much ended up in FS section. The only other closed that I value higher is W5000.
With velour pads and Zu cable K271S are a real treat.

Where do you go actually "try" those? I live in CA, too, and I dont know where to find the place that I can really touch, feel, and listen to those high end headphones. Anyone?
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back